U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,905,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
once again, the analogy brings up the concept of punishing kids for their parents actions. punishing people who by no fault of their own are in a foreign country. and thriving academically in said foreign country.
but i dont think you guys get this.

i try and try to stay away from this board, but the laughs you guys elicit in me are too good. some of you are scary tho.
So you are both humored and frightened by my posts. What can I say?

Bottom line: Children often suffer for the criminal behavior of their parents. It’s unfortunate, but that’s life. I have a friend whose father was a drug dealer -- in and out of jail. She could have used that as an excuse, and wallowed in the pity party 'victim' mindset. Rather, she excelled in school, earned two degrees, and is a successful entrepreneur. Life is what you make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,126,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So you are both humored and frightened by my posts. What can I say?

well not particularly yours, i meant the proverbial you/guys

Bottom line: Children often suffer for the criminal behavior of their parents. It’s unfortunate, but that’s life. I have a friend whose father was a drug dealer -- in and out of jail. She could have used that as an excuse, and wallowed in the pity party 'victim' mindset. Rather, she excelled in school, earned two degrees, and is a successful entrepreneur. Life is what you make it.
so then shouldnt these excellent students who merit acceptance to a higher instituation such as georgetown be given the chance to make what they can with this life?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so then shouldnt these excellent students who merit acceptance to a higher instituation such as georgetown be given the chance to make what they can with this life?
Sure, as long as it's not being subsidized by U.S. taxpayers; they are paying international tuition rates; and they’re not receiving preferential treatment over a legal citizen.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,023,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sure, as long as it's not being subsidized by U.S. taxpayers; they are paying international tuition rates; and they’re not receiving preferential treatment over a legal citizen.
what does paying international tuition rates have to do with anything? Just to make it harder for them?
Because its the "right" thing to do?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
what does paying international tuition rates have to do with anything? Just to make it harder for them?
Because its the "right" thing to do?
They are not U.S. citizens. Why should they be entitled to in-state tuition, while other foreigners must pay international rates? Isn't it enough that we are permitting them to receive a free K-12 education?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,714,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wtf? He got an international student scholarship? By accepting that scholarship he identifies himself as a foreign national who must know abide by the rules of international students i.e. he has to go back.
I'm sorry, but it does **** me off when people want it every which way....I've lived here ten years so that makes me a de facto citizen and I deserve a special bill(!) to keep me here, but oh yes I'll take the international student scholarship because you know, I'm Columbian.

You don't have to be a citizen to earn/get a scholarship or financial aid .

I met someone today who has a son in a private special ed school for kid's with learning disability and all paid for with state aid.

I was surprised as it's a pricey school . She didn't lie about her status to get the aid yet got it.

She came in legally from Central America but has over stayed her Visa by 3 yrs and state said okay as far as aid goes . Again I was surprised .

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,086,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post

I met someone today who has a son in a private special ed school for kid's with learning disability and all paid for with state aid.

I was surprised as it's a pricey school . She didn't lie about her status to get the aid yet got it.

She came in legally from Central America but has over stayed her Visa by 3 yrs and state said okay as far as aid goes . Again I was surprised .
Yeah, I know how she did it....the correct term slips my mind but basically any student with a learning/language/social/physical/intellectual disability is guaranteed an education with services provided by the state i.e. speech patholigist or special aide to physically be by the side of a student with cp for example. How she got into the private school is more then likely a special 'scholarship' from the school itself, with special services (in this case, probable extra tutoring) paid for by the state.

Good thing the US has an unlimited amount of money to spend on everyone, right ?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,714,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yeah, I know how she did it....the correct term slips my mind but basically any student with a learning/language/social/physical/intellectual disability is guaranteed an education with services provided by the state i.e. speech patholigist or special aide to physically be by the side of a student with cp for example. How she got into the private school is more then likely a special 'scholarship' from the school itself, with special services (in this case, probable extra tutoring) paid for by the state.

Good thing the US has an unlimited amount of money to spend on everyone, right ?

Okay glad you know how because I was surprised .

Thought some here would find it so outrageous that would think I was wrong.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post

That’s not surprising. This country offers a “free” education to anyone below the college level. Any child with special needs will receive the necessary help, irrespective of immigration status. The same applies for children in need of a breakfast or lunch, although I’ve been told those programs are seriously abused (of course).

We are such a generous country. Yet, illegal aliens show no appreciation, and continue to demand more. Their sense of entitlement is infuriating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or