U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

One year ago, Juan Gomez, the Killian High School grad who was saved from deportation, traveled to the nation's capital to advocate for undocumented students.

Gomez headed for Washington again Thursday, but for a different reason: Next week he starts at Georgetown University.

And if being accepted to one of the nation's top colleges wasn't enough, Gomez also won a competitive partial scholarship for international students.

''It's been really exciting,'' Gomez said Wednesday night as got ready to leave Miami.

Juan, 19, his brother Alex, 20, and their parents were arrested by immigration agents last July. Their parents had overstayed their visas for more than a decade, and the family was going to be deported to Colombia.

The brothers were toddlers when they arrived in the United States.

But when the family was put into immigration detention, the young men's friends launched a grass-roots campaign to save Juan and Alex.

Later, U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart joined in the effort, introducing a private bill to keep the brothers in the country.

Immigration officials granted the young men a stay of deportation while Congress considers the bill. But their parents and grandmother were deported to Colombia in late October.

The young men became local celebrities -- and the faces of undocumented students nationwide.

They traveled to Washington with their friends to advocate for the DREAM Act, legislation that would give undocumented students like themselves a chance to remain in the country.


Once facing deportation, grad off to college - 08/21/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)


This is why we can't get rid of them. They keep giving them preferential treatment instead of strictly enforcing the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,038,627 times
Reputation: 2873
Wtf? He got an international student scholarship? By accepting that scholarship he identifies himself as a foreign national who must know abide by the rules of international students i.e. he has to go back.
I'm sorry, but it does **** me off when people want it every which way....I've lived here ten years so that makes me a de facto citizen and I deserve a special bill(!) to keep me here, but oh yes I'll take the international student scholarship because you know, I'm Columbian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wtf? He got an international student scholarship? By accepting that scholarship he identifies himself as a foreign national who must know abide by the rules of international students i.e. he has to go back.
I'm sorry, but it does **** me off when people want it every which way....I've lived here ten years so that makes me a de facto citizen and I deserve a special bill(!) to keep me here, but oh yes I'll take the international student scholarship because you know, I'm Columbian.
I hear you loud and clear. It's not just him, notice he is still fighting for the rest of the DREAMIES to receive the same preferential treatment. This is just wrong on every level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
This is why we can't get rid of them. They keep giving them preferential treatment instead of strictly enforcing the law.
Yes, another slap in the face for the U.S. taxpayers. Furthermore, he’s not an international student, he’s an illegal alien……HUGE difference. He has a partial scholarship, so who is paying for the remainder? Who knows how many other illegal aliens are being ‘rewarded’ for their parents’ criminal behavior? He should have been deported along with them. This is precisely why we have a problem with illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, another slap in the face for the U.S. taxpayers. Furthermore, he’s not an international student, he’s an illegal alien……HUGE difference. He has a partial scholarship, so who is paying for the remainder? Who knows how many other illegal aliens are being ‘rewarded’ for their parents’ criminal behavior? He should have been deported along with them. This is precisely why we have a problem with illegal immigration.
ITA. Not only does it encourage the continuance of their illegal presence, it emboldens them to defy the law to remain here waiting for their free pass to steal a seat from an American child at the education table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
ITA. Not only does it encourage the continuance of their illegal presence, it emboldens them to defy the law to remain here waiting for their free pass to steal a seat from an American child at the education table.
Absolutely! This is the premise for the amnesty-laden DREAM Act. I don’t care how long they have illegally resided in this country. They are NOT U.S. citizens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! This is the premise for the amnesty-laden DREAM Act. I don’t care how long they have illegally resided in this country. They are NOT U.S. citizens!
And we are not responsible for their parents criminal actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,793,608 times
Reputation: 620
Great to see such a bright kid given a second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Great to see such a bright kid given a second chance.
Why couldn't he receive an education in his country of origin? Why should the U.S. taxpayers have the burden of providing for him? It would serve them right if he leaves the country after using the U.S. for an education. Isn't that the intention of many DREAMies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why couldn't he receive an education in his country of origin? Why should the U.S. taxpayers have the burden of providing for him? It would serve them right if he leaves the country after using the U.S. for an education. Isn't that the intention of many DREAMies?
Agreed. Of course Blackknight knows the answer to your question. Can't wait to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top