Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Really? It's been in the paper literally every day for the last week!

I get the Daily Herald. Maybe it's more of a local issue, so they don't put it in the Tribune.

Wait... you do live in the Chicago area, right?
I grew up in Chicago but currently live in the western burbs. I work downtown though.

I stopped reading the SunTimes and the Trib about 5 years ago. All the IA PC killed my loyalty to the "newspaper". The internet has been my main source of information for almost a decade now.

I do know that Elgin is an IA sanctuary along with Evanston, Waukegan, Carpentersville, Joliet, Romeoville and parts of Bolingbrook.

So, I am by no means in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,882 times
Oh,LOL, I know! It's just that you post most of the stories on here, so I thought that you would have heard of this.

BTW, I didn't know Evanston was a sactuary city?? I doubt too many are up there, though. It is a pretty expensive town, no?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Oh,LOL, I know! It's just that you post most of the stories on here, so I thought that you would have heard of this.

BTW, I didn't know Evanston was a sactuary city?? I doubt too many are up there, though. It is a pretty expensive town, no?
It just became an official sanctuary about 7 months ago. It is still a very nice suburb but like many areas close to Chicago, it has it's good parts and then there are the gangs and slums. As the illegals move in so goes the neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i love how none of you really have anything of significance to say. a bunch of juvenile quips. and more and more mutual ego masurbation via rep points.

with that said.

this is a good step. at least i think so. but it can back fire. i do find it a bit troubling for parents in the process of legalizing. and also a bit troubling for non permanent residents. it would really suck if the parents efforts were all in vain because their unruly child liked to play hooky.

it seems that while, the punishment for having truant children is equal, the further ramifications are quite disproportianate. parents of truant children face fines and charges, but non-citizen resident parents(not talking about illegals quite yet) face the added possibility of deportation. should that be the punishment for not being able to handle a rebellious teenager?
its a bit unfair if a parent is working hard, taking the right steps to citizenship, providing for their family, and an ungrateful teen, in the way they tend to, is inconsiderate and cares only about "hanging out, mom". i dont think thats quite fair. but maybe an immigration judge could look past the kids actions and have mercy on the struggling parents.

the thing about this is that it is supposed to prompt children to attend school. its used as a fear tactic, which isnt too bad, most of the time fear tactics dont work, like with substance users, but in this case it might work. kids are supposed to go to school period. but when they dont, the parent can potentially reason with the students and make them understand the larger ramifications of missing school. DEPORTATION!!! tun tun tun!!!! if the child sees that it will not only affect the child, but the family as a whole, they might think twice about ditching. if the child does not care. well the parents gett nabbed, a family is torn apart and then the family (but in all likelyhood only the parent) are sent back to X country. if the whole family leaves, great. but im sure it wont be the case and the deported party will most likely be back in two shakes of a lambs tail(if they are from SOB). not much of a solution i suppose. while its a good way to nab people here illegally, it can have some serious unintended consequences.

what parents might do instead is completely pull the kids out of school and require they work instead of attend class. that way there will be no way to see if the child is truant or not. and the feds wont be tipped off. this is ok i suppose. but then there is no way other than your regular ICE raids, of finding the illegals.
it might also cause some parents to pull their good grade getting, non-truant kids out of school for fear that any suspension, after school dentention, expulsion or whatever might land them in court. here the US born children would suffer because of the parents paranoia. its always a problem.

while this is a good policy on the surface, it might have some serious side effects. which im sure some of you dont mind. having mixed citizenship families is tough. i would hate for the good kids to suffer. all those lil wannabe bangers can get the boot.

its a complex issue really.

Can you explain to me what masurbation is? I'm really confused and I can't get past that to read the rest of the post.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Can you explain to me what masurbation is? I'm really confused and I can't get past that to read the rest of the post.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times
Truancy.. immigration.. what's the difference? Yet if this article was about African American students who are truants this article wouldn't have been posted.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Truancy.. immigration.. what's the difference? Yet if this article was about African American students who are truants this article wouldn't have been posted.
Chronic truancy is a good indicator that a student may not graduate from high school. The more time that is spent partying, drinking, 'hooking up', smoking dope and shooting guns during school hours, the less they learn. Those of us who have taken a stance against amnesty are repeatedly assured that while the illegal immigrant parents may only have a 9th grade education, future generations will be educated and move up the economic ladder so we should not mind giving everybody amnesty. The next generation will contribute more to society than they use in benefits. How is this going to happen if the hispanic drop out rate is very high? (I think we can all agree the majority of illegals are hispanic.) I do not see this group making great strides forward unless they begin to take education more seriously.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Those of us who have taken a stance against amnesty are repeatedly assured that while the illegal immigrant parents may only have a 9th grade education, future generations will be educated and move up the economic ladder so we should not mind giving everybody amnesty. The next generation will contribute more to society than they use in benefits. How is this going to happen if the hispanic drop out rate is very high? (I think we can all agree the majority of illegals are hispanic.) I do not see this group making great strides forward unless they begin to take education more seriously.
Did I miss something here? Hispanic drop out rate is heavily impacted by illegal immigration..?

Yes Hispanics have a high drop out right but this is about truancy, not drop outs. But to say we're not "moving up the latter" is truely ignorant. Who is the treasurer of the United States?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Chronic truancy is a good indicator that a student may not graduate from high school. The more time that is spent partying, drinking, 'hooking up', smoking dope and shooting guns during school hours, the less they learn. Those of us who have taken a stance against amnesty are repeatedly assured that while the illegal immigrant parents may only have a 9th grade education, future generations will be educated and move up the economic ladder so we should not mind giving everybody amnesty. The next generation will contribute more to society than they use in benefits. How is this going to happen if the hispanic drop out rate is very high? (I think we can all agree the majority of illegals are hispanic.) I do not see this group making great strides forward unless they begin to take education more seriously.
Is it me or did you edit your previous post and added in the "smoking dope and drinking" just for kicks? Because certainly all Hispanic students smoke dope, drink and shoot people while on break.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
LOL.
And I thought these kids were staying home because they thought school was boring and wanted to check on their myspaces.

Are you a Larry Clark fan or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration