U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times

Advertisements

That's fine. And if you have the $$$ to pay for that luxury I hope that you continue to enjoy the open spaces and big houses/cars for the rest of your life. I'm not being sarcastic either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I have a feeling you're not going to like my answer on this one. I don't want to push my values on anyone (I live in a highrise apartment and have a much lower environmental footprint than your average person living in a suburban 30 miles from Atlanta or Houston) but have a feeling that more people will begin to adopt my values when they see that the price of gas and energy is not going down in the long run. I would appreciate not being called un-American when I say this, but most of our urban areas need a good lesson from European ones which often fit 2-3 times the people in less space. Not everyone needs to live in a highrise; we just need WAY LESS PEOPLE living in suburban sprawl and instead in attached townhomes with good bus/train service, lowrise buildings, etc. Even some places that are mostly detached houses (Portland, for example) have good public transportation and are fairly sustainable. It is not normal for a family of four to have four SUV's, consume over a hundred gallons of gas in a week, and live in a 3000 square foot home. This kind of lifestyle should be for the rich and shouldn't be something that middle class salary necessarily deserves to afford.
What do you suggest we do with our wildlife? As it is, itís the norm to see several deer (no exaggeration) in my backyard because we have replaced their habitat with office buildings and homes. Iím even seeing them on the Beltway, and other locations previously foreign to them.

I have no desire to live in a high-rise or an attached home. I enjoy my privacy, and do not feel I should have to sacrifice to accommodate millions of unnecessary people residing in this country.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What do you suggest we do with our wildlife? As it is, itís the norm to see several deer (no exaggeration) in my backyard because we have replaced their habitat with office buildings and homes. Iím even seeing them on the Beltway, and other locations previously foreign to them.

I have no desire to live in a high-rise or an attached home. I enjoy my privacy, and do not feel I should have to sacrifice to accommodate millions of unnecessary people residing in this country.
Amen to that! I can't imagine living over or under another family, just as I cannot imagine having them attached to the left, right, front or back of me.

I have heard absolute horror stories of people who had no choice but to live in such an environment and having to "tolerate" the dwellers in their buildings. No thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I suggest that we stop sprawling into their habitat and start densifying areas that are already developed in order to fit more people into them. Washington, DC is neither a model nor a serious offender here so I can't really give any dramatic examples using your home metro. The Atlanta metro, on the other hand, should have the same amount of people in a third of its size...

Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Amen to that! I can't imagine living over or under another family, just as I cannot imagine having them attached to the left, right, front or back of me.

I have heard absolute horror stories of people who had no choice but to live in such an environment and having to "tolerate" the dwellers in their buildings. No thanks!!!
You could live in a modest-sized detached home with a small front and back yard in a walkable neighborhood with a town center and train service to the central city. There are places where you can live this lifestyle: Brookline, MA; parts suburban NYC; Oak Park, IL; Pasadena, CA; Miami Beach, FL; outer neighborhoods in Seattle, WA; to name a few. My mom grew up in a safe, quiet neighborhood of nice single family homes with all of these characteristics and never even wanted a car as a teenager because she could walk/take the bus or train everywhere she wanted to go.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:01 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
You could live in a modest-sized detached home with a small front and back yard in a walkable neighborhood with a town center and train service to the central city. There are places where you can live this lifestyle: Brookline, MA; parts suburban NYC; Oak Park, IL; Pasadena, CA; Miami Beach, FL; outer neighborhoods in Seattle, WA; to name a few. My mom grew up in a safe, quiet neighborhood of nice single family homes with all of these characteristics and never even wanted a car as a teenager because she could walk/take the bus or train everywhere she wanted to go.
I already do.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
We are not all the same. I should have the choice of deciding where and how I live; and those choices should not be dictated by the preference of others. Thanks for the suggestions, but no thanks.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Well, then I guess there's no problem!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
We are not all the same. I should have the choice of deciding where and how I live; and those choices should not be dictated by the preference of others. Thanks for the suggestions, but no thanks.
Like I told GuyPinestra: if you can afford your lifestyle (and I don't doubt that you can) I would encourage you to keep living it if you so choose. I just have a problem when people think that being "middle class" entitles them to a large house with several gas-guzzling cars in a far-off suburb and then complain that it's hard for the middle class to afford a decent lifestyle here in the US.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well, then I guess there's no problem!
That's a matter of opinion, and I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration