U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times

Advertisements

Lou was talking last night about overpopulation in this country, what with the projected figures, and why the conservation groups don't get involved.

Why do we HAVE to let this overpopulation happen, when we could easily stop it by ending illegal immigration?

What is the MATTER with these groups who are always talking about overpopulation? Now that America faces this, they are silent?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
It's all about PC. Everyone is afraid of being labeled the dreaded 'R' word, and organizations such as Laraza would have no problem picketed the hell out of any environmental group that would dare suggest that too many people are a bad thing.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It's all about PC. Everyone is afraid of being labeled the dreaded 'R' word, and organizations such as Laraza would have no problem picketed the hell out of any environmental group that would dare suggest that too many people are a bad thing.
Therein lies the problem. Illegal aliens equal one huge drain on every single resource that we have. If our borders continue to remain open to every 3rd world breeder in the name of draining our tax dollars and social services their out of control birth rates will be the nail in America's coffin.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
I don't think this country is overpopulated at all. We can handle a lot more growth and of course this would be preferable if it is through legal immigration.

The word "racist" is thrown around so much by both sides in this debate that to me it is like "crying wolf" and I have begun to really blow off all the accusations. It is really ridiculous and I have both in person and online been called a "racist" by people on both sides of the debate because my views aren't black-and-white enough for their liking. I really don't think either side is worse when it comes to throwing around "the R word;" both sides are BAD when it comes to this and it is only distracting and takes away from everyone's arguments.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't think this country is overpopulated at all. We can handle a lot more growth and of course this would be preferable if it is through legal immigration.
Have you ever heard the term 'non-renewable resources'?

Do you have any idea what will happen to our water, our air, our environment if we continue to allow unchecked population growth?

Would you at least give those things some serious thought before expounding on continued rampant growth?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
I think we should stop all immigration. I am getting sick of them all together. some come to work, some come to drain, and some come to whine. I like the odds better if they just stop coming.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Have you ever heard the term 'non-renewable resources'?

Do you have any idea what will happen to our water, our air, our environment if we continue to allow unchecked population growth?

Would you at least give those things some serious thought before expounding on continued rampant growth?
But our population growth is not "unchecked." The birthrate is barely at replacement level and we have approximately 2 million immigrants (both legal and illegal) per year. Doesn't seem too drastic to me.

This country needs to wean itself off of oil and start using alternative energy sources REGARDLESS of whether immigration halts, increases, or keeps going at its current rate. Barely 5% of the continental United States is developed! BARELY FIVE PERCENT! We have room for MILLIONS more in this country if we just learn how to use our resources more efficiently and start cutting back on wasteful suburban sprawl and overconsumption.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:54 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
But our population growth is not "unchecked." The birthrate is barely at replacement level and we have approximately 2 million immigrants (both legal and illegal) per year. Doesn't seem too drastic to me.

This country needs to wean itself off of oil and start using alternative energy sources REGARDLESS of whether immigration halts, increases, or keeps going at its current rate. Barely 5% of the continental United States is developed! BARELY FIVE PERCENT! We have room for MILLIONS more in this country if we just learn how to use our resources more efficiently and start cutting back on wasteful suburban sprawl and overconsumption.
How does that solve the problem of our water shortages? As it is, several states are up to their necks in squabbles over who gets what. The loss of ground water in some cities has caused shifting and climate change.

This country needs to wean itself from slave labor, as well as the parasites of our social network.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Desalinization. It's a very popular technique in the Middle East and we will eventually have to do it (or something like it) someday. With the rising seas (global warming), we'll have plenty of water to take from the ocean to use for drinkable water and irrigation.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Desalinization. It's a very popular technique in the Middle East and we will eventually have to do it (or something like it) someday. With the rising seas (global warming), we'll have plenty of water to take from the ocean to use for drinkable water and irrigation.
And who will pay for this "someday"? Don't forget, by the time "Someday" comes, the middle class (i.e. taxpayers) will have either fled the country or become part of the poverty class. So who's gonna bring the geld?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration