Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times

Advertisements

When your home country to the fattest child on earth.. that doesn't look too good on our rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
When your home country to the fattest child on earth.. that doesn't look too good on our rep.
True. But I'd rather have a slightly pudgy kid than a kid who doesnt have enough to eat.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
And even then there are kids starving in America..

Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I will say that peope in America our fatter because of our need for convenience, i.e. fast food, car culture. And as Mcdonalds and capitalism spreads across the world, other countries are seeing their waistline expand as well as their economies.

There was always the saying, "Eat all your food! Theres kids starving in China!" Now, they have an obesity problem as well. Who'da thunk it?
Give it up. Chinese art depicts them fat long before Rome came into power. Japanese refined fat into an art form with sumo wrestling.

Buddah statue . . fatboy. Fertility gods . . fat bottom girls (you make the rockin world go round).

Even when a nation is starving, it still manages to produce fat people in government.

I read Australian is proud of taking the #1 slot away from us re : fat people, kicking around their airlines to assess a "fat tax".

Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
México, medalla de oro en obesidad infantil | Diario.com.mx: Edición Cd. Juárez

Are we? Mexico is saying it gets the gold medal for obesity.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:46 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Give it up. Chinese art depicts them fat long before Rome came into power. Japanese refined fat into an art form with sumo wrestling.

Buddah statue . . fatboy. Fertility gods . . fat bottom girls (you make the rockin world go round).

Even when a nation is starving, it still manages to produce fat people in government.

I read Australian is proud of taking the #1 slot away from us re : fat people, kicking around their airlines to assess a "fat tax".
Give what up?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
México, medalla de oro en obesidad infantil | Diario.com.mx: Edición Cd. Juárez

Are we? Mexico is saying it gets the gold medal for obesity.
Translation result for http://www.diario.com.mx/nota.php?notaid=5ccdebcffde894c4acb30145af5028ef (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diario.com.mx%2Fnota.p hp%3Fnotaid%3D5ccdebcffde894c4acb30145af5028ef&lp= es_en&btnTrUrl=Translate - broken link)

amc is saying people in America are fatter.

YouTube - Fat Mexican Kid Dancing

I have seen an ocean with Mexicans beside it. Looked like a herd of beached walrus. I know, this doesn't represent all Mexicans, but yeesh! That incident scarred my brain.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 AM

146 posts, read 641,408 times
Yes, there are a few fat Asians, but very few. What I was getting at is the Asians I meet here in the Pacific Northwest are more concerned with their appearance. Weight is just one aspect. I see less Asians who wear sloppy clothes, desperately need a haircut, look like drug addicts and seem to have given up on themselves.

I strongly believe in stereotypes as being true in most cases. While there is a share of Asians who are fat, sloppy, criminal and lazy, they are few and far between. Asians are the model immigrants. Every statistic about their demographics will tell you so.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Yes, there are a few fat Asians, but very few. What I was getting at is the Asians I meet here in the Pacific Northwest are more concerned with their appearance. Weight is just one aspect. I see less Asians who wear sloppy clothes, desperately need a haircut, look like drug addicts and seem to have given up on themselves.

I strongly believe in stereotypes as being true in most cases. While there is a share of Asians who are fat, sloppy, criminal and lazy, they are few and far between. Asians are the model immigrants. Every statistic about their demographics will tell you so.

You also don't see too many Asians sitting around in welfare offices. It's level of activity and diet. Asian food tends to not be all carbohydrates and lard but leaner types of foods. Refried beans in a lard-flour tortilla with melted cheese is going to pack on the pounds.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post

I lived in Portland, OR for seven years and very much enjoyed the asian community, went to school with them, were my neighbors, frequented their restaurants and shops, particularly in NW Portland. Not much of a community where I live now, and miss the influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration