U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 PM

838 posts, read 902,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Let's get things straight. We are all prejudiced up to a certain point. We are all racist up to a certain point.
I liked to say that if I am..it's all based on personal experience. I don't go around creating labels for people...I sort of feel that most of them earn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I liked to say that if I am..it's all based on personal experience. I don't go around creating labels for people...I sort of feel that most of them earn it.
We all do it. You see someone dressed in urban/gheto clothes, you would think this person is that way. You see someone dressed in a black trench coat, big shoes with marilyn manson make-up. You would think that person is a certain way. It's in our nature as humans.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:52 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,506,882 times
Quote:
Let's get things straight. We are all prejudiced up to a certain point. We are all racist up to a certain point.
I understand that; however, the point that it has gotten to on this forum is quite disgusting. There are many articles posted that are put up strictly for the point of controversy...that's called trolling. There is a lot of hatred on here, a lot of it unfounded & pretty immature.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
We all do it. You see someone dressed in urban/gheto clothes, you would think this person is that way. You see someone dressed in a black trench coat, big shoes with marilyn manson make-up. You would think that person is a certain way. It's in our nature as humans.
That is not true racism: the word 'survival' comes to mind if you subconsciously sense danger.

Common sense dictates to avoid ruffians---------especially if they are drunk, etc.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM

838 posts, read 902,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I understand that; however, the point that it has gotten to on this forum is quite disgusting. There are many articles posted that are put up strictly for the point of controversy...that's called trolling. There is a lot of hatred on here, a lot of it unfounded & pretty immature.
Unfounded? I think the correct word, to replace hatred, is frustration. I'm personally frustrated and disgusted with the way the laws are being broken by illegals...and I'm having to pay for it.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,506,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Unfounded? I think the correct word, to replace hatred, is frustration. I'm personally frustrated and disgusted with the way the laws are being broken by illegals...and I'm having to pay for it.
That may be so, but as I've seen on this forum, there is quite a lot of generalizing going on, regardless if someone is illegal or not. Generalizing about an entire race, rude assumptions, etc. Just because there are illegals here does not mean that every hispanic person you see is illegal. Yet, this is the assumptions I see going on in this forum. Be frustrated w/the person, not the the entire population.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:51 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
This can be argued either way....but that "point" certainly can vary with the individual...wouldn't you say?...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This can be argued either way....but that "point" certainly can vary with the individual...wouldn't you say?...
That's why I said "To a certain point".

Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
That's why I said "To a certain point".
You've got a point there.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
I'd like to point out that I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or