U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,175,726 times
Reputation: 391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That may be so, but as I've seen on this forum, there is quite a lot of generalizing going on, regardless if someone is illegal or not. Generalizing about an entire race, rude assumptions, etc. Just because there are illegals here does not mean that every hispanic person you see is illegal. Yet, this is the assumptions I see going on in this forum. Be frustrated w/the person, not the the entire population.
I get slammed every time I say this, but numerically speaking about half the Hispanics in this country ARE illegal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,912 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I get slammed every time I say this, but numerically speaking about half the Hispanics in this country ARE illegal...
Coming from your research. I wonder what makes your research more plausible than economists and the pew hispanic center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,175,726 times
Reputation: 391
The Pew Hispanic Center has been using the same 12 million figure for about 4 years.

I've said it before and since I don't have the document saved I'll say it one more time...

The 2000 US Census said 9+ million

The US Border Patrol estimates about 4 million a year

You do the math...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Queens
838 posts, read 903,608 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I get slammed every time I say this, but numerically speaking about half the Hispanics in this country ARE illegal...
Somehow I don't find this too hard to believe. Although I would guess that it's more like 1/3 are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,912 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The Pew Hispanic Center has been using the same 12 million figure for about 4 years.

I've said it before and since I don't have the document saved I'll say it one more time...

The 2000 US Census said 9+ million

The US Border Patrol estimates about 4 million a year

You do the math...
It's a figure that cannot be agreed upon. It's all speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,175,726 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It's a figure that cannot be agreed upon. It's all speculation.
Only someone with an inability to add cannot agree.

Let me put it this way then. In 1986 we gave amnesty in order to pass the IRCA. At the time all the pundits agreed that amnesty would legalize about 1.2 million illegal aliens. By the time they quit counting they were up to over 3 million.

I'm willing to assume a comparable miscalculation today, especially considering the numbers the US Border Patrol reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,998,488 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If the 'Mexicans' in question here here legally-------I would be pissed due to them being hassled for simply looking stereotypically 'Hispanic'.

Being that they are indeed illegals-----------oh, well.

Side note: where is the racism against the dark skinned Anglos? Sicilians come to mind------and, Pa has lots of Americans of Italian heritage.
Apparently, youre the only who looks out for that kind of thing.

The only reason a "dark skinned Anglo" or a dark skinned Italian would be hassled would be if they were mistaken for being Latino. Or Arab if they appeared to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 03:37 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
LMFAO!!!! @ "chubby chicas". Geesh. I guess you can just come into this country and knock up some stupid american girl..and you've got the golden ticket!
That's just it. Why on earth would anyone think because they've impregnated some woman here that they should be rewarded with citizenship when there's already a family sponsorship way in -- as long as the woman would marry them and sponsor them?

Obviously there are reasons these women preferred to be kept knocked up and retain their single mother status. They very obviously could make everything legal -- their marital state and their sperm donor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 04:05 AM
 
956 posts, read 2,647,669 times
Reputation: 576
If some of these illegals want to take some dumpy fatties out of our gene pool, they can have 'em. Like the bumper sticker says, "No fat chicks!", or however you say that in Mestizian Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
If some of these illegals want to take some dumpy fatties out of our gene pool, they can have 'em. Like the bumper sticker says, "No fat chicks!", or however you say that in Mestizian Spanish.
Easy there: not all of us Americans like skinny women----------I certainly do not find 'em attractive.

ADmittedly; some larger women are prettier (body and face) than others but one gets my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top