U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes they are, with the exception of a few (AZBear, Macmeal, Donthate)

Guy admits it, and it is pretty blatant about generalizations.

Benicar has even said she doesn't like hearing Spanish at all anymore, I would say that admits prejudice.

Some of the new members like JDubsMom are plain out obvious, she has been caught multiple times showing her prejudice. Especially like the one where she made the mistake of posting crime of 2 guys from Guam and calling the Mexicans.

Why would gettiing tired of hearing a particular foreign language be prejudiced? It certainly isn't racist because there are a few hispanic people who do manage to speak English and some very well. Certainly Asians learn English. It's more that the utter refusal by some groups to learn the common language is what annoys many people.

I don't mind hearing Spanish at all -- when I'm in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
as to why some of you continue to pretend that you're not just a little prejudice against hispanics? Seems to me that some of you, not naming names, are a little too, shall we say cowboy gung-ho? Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....Interesting,, because behind your keyboard making some ridiculous claims about others is pretty cowardly...just saying.
National Survey of Latinos, 2002 : Summary of Findings.

This might be of interest to you because you seem to believe that "hispanics" are a monolith, that all hispanics support open borders and unlimited illegal immigration which many of us of course realize is not the case.

American hispanics with deep roots in the USA are very likely to have the same opinions as other Americans.

"Hispanic" has become a euphemism for illegal alien -- some people however do not support the breaking of American laws by any foreign group of people.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,894,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
as to why some of you continue to pretend that you're not just a little prejudice against hispanics? Seems to me that some of you, not naming names, are a little too, shall we say cowboy gung-ho? Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....Interesting,, because behind your keyboard making some ridiculous claims about others is pretty cowardly...just saying.

I am very prejudiced against filthy and disease ridden criminal illegal mexicans crossing the border and making themselves comfortable here in my country. Count me in. I live in a border state and have to deal with it full force head on daily. No cowards here. So all those who like to throw the racist stone, come on down, get your feet wet, and partake in the "festivities".

And just to be fair (ha, ha), let us not fail to mention those with a race chip on their shoulder, looking for any and all excuses to accuse and shout "racism" to anyone not gushing and bending over backwards to allow these vermin access to our country illegally.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would gettiing tired of hearing a particular foreign language be prejudiced? It certainly isn't racist because there are a few hispanic people who do manage to speak English and some very well. Certainly Asians learn English. It's more that the utter refusal by some groups to learn the common language is what annoys many people.

I don't mind hearing Spanish at all -- when I'm in Mexico.
Excellent question. In particular, considering the fact that many of those speaking Spanish are of African descent.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
National Survey of Latinos, 2002 : Summary of Findings.
American hispanics with deep roots in the USA are very likely to have the same opinions as other Americans.

"Hispanic" has become a euphemism for illegal alien -- some people however do not support the breaking of American laws by any foreign group of people.
Lots of truth in this little quote. "Euphemism"....yes, you're right. Lots of PC going on here, and lots of confusing of terms.

Good points...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
One thing the MEChA crowd seems to overlook is the White supremacy of Hispanic culture: if overnight the USA became 'Spain'-----------that would explode in the faces of both our American Blacks and in particular, the Indians/Mestizos here already.

Be very careful what you wish for, La Raza----------the repercussions would be very ugly if you ain't White.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 AM

And from personal observation -- English speaking, American culture "hispanics" react the same way when illegals move into the house next-door to them, either 25 single men sleeping on the floor throwing beer cans into the yard or 4 families with 25 children living in a one-family house.

American hispanics are just as much concerned as other Americans about having their children sit in classrooms with TB positive illegals, they also don't like their property values affected or property taxes going way up. Many American hispanics don't want to be told they'd better learn Spanish and many don't like to think of the USA becoming just like Mexico. Many are even quite patriotic to the USA and resent the Mexican flags going up everywhere.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
I think you are confusing two distinct things. Yes, there are racists out there that label every dark haired/eyed spanish speaking person as mexican, and dislike them based on that alone. However, there is a larger group of people (and I would say the vast majority on this board) who can seperate their dislike and disgust over illegal immigration from legal latino immigrants and americans. Where the whole mexican thing comes into play is really the fault of illegal organizers and lobbyists......ever see an illegal rally that didn't have the mexican flag displayed proudly? Every see an illegal rights rally where there were no signs in spanish? How about signs in chinese or hangul? Nope, not those languages....spanish. Do we see the Jamaican flag? How about Brazils? Ecuador? Vietnam? Nope again....just the mexican flag (and the american one, but since that tends to be displayed upside down if not in flames, I don't think that counts).
So, do you see the difference? It is hard to rally around a group of people that essentially spits in your eye while they steal from you. And to take offense at that does not make people racists....it makes them human.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Another interesting report:

Carnegie Reporter, Vol. 3, No. 4 | A Developing Identity Hispanics in The United States, page 2 (http://www.carnegie.org/reporter/12/identity/index2.html - broken link)

Many different kinds of public opinion surveys on different subjects have shown broad and consistent differences between Latinos who speak only Spanish, most often recently arrived immigrants, and those who speak only English, most typically those with long family histories in the United States. And there is often a range of views among bilinguals. In surveys conducted by the Pew Hispanic Center, this pattern has emerged on subjects ranging from the acceptability of divorce, to the chances of success in the Iraq war, to the quality of education in U.S. public schools.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 AM

10,479 posts, read 13,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I certainly donít need to explain myself to someone who has no problem stereotyping black people. I think you know what you can do with your curiosity.

Oh please, please show me where I have said anything racist or prejudice against black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration