Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Lots of truth in this little quote. "Euphemism"....yes, you're right. Lots of PC going on here, and lots of confusing of terms.

Good points...
Pew Hispanic Center: Latinos Share Distinctive Views and Attachment to Heritage, But Attitudes Differ By Language and Place of Birth, Assimilation at Work Across Generations (http://pewhispanic.org/newsroom/releases/release.php?ReleaseID=4 - broken link)

This report is interesting -- and kind of defeats karfar's assertations:

Latinos also identify discrimination within the Latino community as a problem. Eight in ten (83%) report that Hispanics discriminating against other Latinos is a problem, including almost half (47%) who say it is a major problem.

Views about Latinos discriminating against other Latinos is one example of the sometimes substantial differences across places of origin. Colombians (61%) and Dominicans (57%) are more likely than Mexicans (48%), Cubans (42%), and Puerto Ricans (39%) to feel that this type of discrimination is a problem. Salvadorans (54%) and all Central (53%) and South Americans (52%) are more evenly divided on this issue.

--- If Latino against Latino is a problem -- and 83% of "hispanics" claim it is -- what accounts for that? Maybe some "hispanics" are just like other Americans and don't like the Mexican take-over of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pew Hispanic Center: Latinos Share Distinctive Views and Attachment to Heritage, But Attitudes Differ By Language and Place of Birth, Assimilation at Work Across Generations (http://pewhispanic.org/newsroom/releases/release.php?ReleaseID=4 - broken link)

This report is interesting -- and kind of defeats karfar's assertations:

Latinos also identify discrimination within the Latino community as a problem. Eight in ten (83%) report that Hispanics discriminating against other Latinos is a problem, including almost half (47%) who say it is a major problem.

Views about Latinos discriminating against other Latinos is one example of the sometimes substantial differences across places of origin. Colombians (61%) and Dominicans (57%) are more likely than Mexicans (48%), Cubans (42%), and Puerto Ricans (39%) to feel that this type of discrimination is a problem. Salvadorans (54%) and all Central (53%) and South Americans (52%) are more evenly divided on this issue.

--- If Latino against Latino is a problem -- and 83% of "hispanics" claim it is -- what accounts for that? Maybe some "hispanics" are just like other Americans and don't like the Mexican take-over of the USA.
Defeats my assertations? Such big words. What exactly did I say that you're refuting?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Defeats my assertations? Such big words. What exactly did I say that you're refuting?
You are claiming that anyone opposed to unlimited and illegal and massive immigration from Mexico is prejudiced against "hispanics". What about when hispanics themselves oppose this? Then what is it? Because it sure can't be prejudice or racism then.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You are claiming that anyone opposed to unlimited and illegal and massive immigration from Mexico is prejudiced against "hispanics". What about when hispanics themselves oppose this? Then what is it? Because it sure can't be prejudice or racism then.
I don't believe I even mentioned any type of race of people regarding my post, as a matter of fact, I didn't even mention illegal immigration. Again, what are you trying to refute?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM

"Eight in ten (83%) report that Hispanics discriminating against other Latinos is a problem"

83% complain that hispanics discriminate against them.

Either Mexicans are an awful sensitive bunch or being opposed to illegal immigration and the changing of this country's language to Spanish is more than a race issue.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I don't believe I even mentioned any type of race of people regarding my post, as a matter of fact, I didn't even mention illegal immigration. Again, what are you trying to refute?
You brought race into it:

Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....

And so did another pro-illegal open borders advocate.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You brought race into it:

Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....

And so did another pro-illegal open borders advocate.
Hmmm, I don't believe I ever in any of my posts said I was pro-illegal either. You people crack me up!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
What is your heritage; karfar?

You sure seem pro illegal immigrant----------if they are some species of 'Hispanic' (preferably Indian).

Myself: I have no use for illegals------------no matter their race/ethnicity.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't believe I ever in any of my posts said I was pro-illegal either. You people crack me up!
You're not pro-illegal? What are you -- some kind of racist? There are those who would say you are.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What is your heritage; karfar?

You sure seem pro illegal immigrant----------if they are some species of 'Hispanic' (preferably Indian).

Myself: I have no use for illegals------------no matter their race/ethnicity.
That has to do with what exactly? I'll say it again, I never mentioned any specific race in terms of people being prejudice against hispanics. I also never mentioned I was pro-illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration