Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times

Advertisements

as to why some of you continue to pretend that you're not just a little prejudice against hispanics? Seems to me that some of you, not naming names, are a little too, shall we say cowboy gung-ho? Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....Interesting,, because behind your keyboard making some ridiculous claims about others is pretty cowardly...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
as to why some of you continue to pretend that you're not just a little prejudice against hispanics? Seems to me that some of you, not naming names, are a little too, shall we say cowboy gung-ho? Some are quite comfortable laying prejudice & assumptions, and not to mention some absurd rude comments & all around crap about another race....Interesting,, because behind your keyboard making some ridiculous claims about others is pretty cowardly...just saying.
To tell you the truth karfar, I AM Hispanic and find myself at times generalizing and stereotyping Hispanics. It stems from the fact that 40-50% of the Hispanic population in the United States is here ILLEGALLY. I get a lot of argument from folks when I say that, but it's the sad and ugly truth.

In areas OTHER than the SW, which has enjoyed a large, LEGAL Hispanic population for AGES, the percentage of illegal aliens could conceivably be as high as 75%. Take Georgia for example. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that there are a half-million illegals in the state. The TOTAL number of Hispanics in Georgia is 770,000.
Quote:
The 2008 Hispanic population for the state of Georgia is 770,816 and estimated to rise to 974,390 by 2012. (Selig Center for Economic Growth, Terry College of Business, The University of Georgia, May 2007)
Statistics Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (http://www.ghcc.org/Statistics.html - broken link)

That tells me that 2/3's of the Hispanics in Georgia have no legal right to be there. It's hard NOT to generalize with percentages like that, don't you think?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:37 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times
Quote:
Open your eyes little girl, Get you head out of the sand? look at once nice cities that illegals and anchors have turned into crime redden ghettos. Maybe if they move into your town you will see things the way they are.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
I certainly don’t need to explain myself to someone who has no problem stereotyping black people. I think you know what you can do with your curiosity.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Yes they are, with the exception of a few (AZBear, Macmeal, Donthate)

Guy admits it, and it is pretty blatant about generalizations.

Benicar has even said she doesn't like hearing Spanish at all anymore, I would say that admits prejudice.

Some of the new members like JDubsMom are plain out obvious, she has been caught multiple times showing her prejudice. Especially like the one where she made the mistake of posting crime of 2 guys from Guam and calling the Mexicans.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
And some of us write about what we observe firsthand, no abstracts, no ranting, with a modicum of historical investigation for context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Both LA4ever and LAquests have asked valid questions, but City-data.com and its moderators have ruled that threads about immigration and specifically illegal immigration belong elsewhere. I believe that these topics are so integral to understanding Los Angeles demographics that I gingerly will attempt to shed light. Sandyco, keep a ringside seat if I cross the line.

Pacoima and Arleta used to be semi-rural back in the day, as did the entirety of the SFValley even further back in the day. If you've seen the fine film "La Bamba," its depiction of '50's musical icon Richie Valens (Valenzuela) and his family shows that way earlier Pacoima, a place more similar to lower income places around the U.S. to this day on the outskirts of wealthier urban areas. This used to be where legal immigrants settled, in a place they both could afford and that had a community in which they felt comfortable. There were a lot of legal immigrants' families left over from SFValley's earlier rural past. The present City of San Fernando reflects this well: mostly all legal of Latino descent, and settled for generations.

The northeastern-most part of Pacoima even retained two pluses: an industrially-zoned area abutting San Fernando Road and its rail-lines, perfect for business development and job-creation, and vestigial horse-zoning abutting Lake View Terrace which COULD HAVE been developed into higher income horse-zoned boarding facilities and income-producing estates. Horse-zoning in Los Angeles, which is less than 2% of the entirety of Los Angeles County, traditionally has added tons of income and horse-related jobs (retail as well as grooming) to its own economy, as it remains so rare in urban areas.

But no.

Here's what changed Pacoima, Arleta, Panorama City, parts of Van Nuys and the rest of the San Fernando Valley from its prior bedroom community of middle class, lower middle class, blue collar and others, be they American citizens or legal newcomers who all got along well while pursuing the American dream of homeownership and starter homeownership: illegal immigration.

The mid-1980's amnesty, and the post-Northridge earthquake downturn (we really were wrecked all over- believe me. On my block alone, two deaths across the street from me, and massive foreclosures from folks who couldn't afford repairs even with FEMA help) opened floodgates for illegal immigration. Here's how: legal immigrants with homeownership rent to illegal realtives and acquaintances. (That's how you get five families of illegals in one tiny house in Pacoima- they rent from the legal one.) Illegals then convey to all would-be illegals from their countries of origin how easy it is break the laws here and get around the Valley with impunity because of Special Order 40 over the police force, which rules that ICE cannot be brought in, even for apprehended perpetrators.

What resulted is that to which Calipoppy refers. You have ever-increasing, huge populations of people with no respect for American laws, from the smallest to the most critical. (But what about the rest of us, Calipoppy, that never are able to afford those hillside safety oases?)

Smallest nuisances: no communication possible with your neighbors, who will not be speaking English, and could be speaking any of 5 prevalent languages; lack of adherence to American standards of hygiene; trashing and debris because their country of origin had no trash collection and that's what they're used to; everpresent amplified noise blasted at stadium-level P.A. systems; old country misogyny, and so on.

Larger problems: blatant and frequently egregious violations of Building & Safety codes which will endanger your property and investment; dangerous driving by unlicensed drivers who drive as badly as they did in their country of origin, where, for instance, drunk driving isn't considered especially wrong; overall lack of adherence to American practices and laws, because illegals got away with a biggie being here. This sense of lawlessness as the norm incubates the gangs, like MS-13 which claims loyalty to El Salvador, the Mexican Mafia (eponymous but with loyalty to prison gangs) etc. and foments resentment to American citizens, be they born or naturalized, in general. Illegals make terrible neighbors: I know from experience.

Despite more modest real estate costs and what the new posters noted as reasonably convenient locations, nothing will change what has been set in motion, because Los Angeles will continue to do nothing to stem the tide of illegals and gangs. As a longtime neighborhood activist who continues to try to improve the lot of everyone here in my section of the Valley instead of just complaining, I know it is akin to sweeping the waves back into the ocean. I have cynically concluded that the powers that be in Los Angeles City government are only too happy to have a magnet to draw "undesirables" from their own toney residences and propagate them here in the Valley.

Last edited by fastfilm; 08-24-2008 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes they are, with the exception of a few (AZBear, Macmeal, Donthate)

Guy admits it, and it is pretty blatant about generalizations.

Benicar has even said she doesn't like hearing Spanish at all anymore, I would say that admits prejudice.

Some of the new members like JDubsMom are plain out obvious, she has been caught multiple times showing her prejudice. Especially like the one where she made the mistake of posting crime of 2 guys from Guam and calling the Mexicans.
No, it's not an admission of "prejudice" -- it's an admission of being fed up with Spanish-speaking illegal aliens who arrogantly demand to be treated as legal citizens; have a delusional sense of entitlement; are stealing innocent citizens’ identities; are bankrupting states; are deliberately giving birth to ‘anchor babies’ to abuse our social services; etc., etc., etc……..

If said illegals were from Haiti, I would be equally disgusted. Perhaps you should take a good look in the mirror to see the face of prejudice.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
"Cowboy" is probably not the best choice of terms one could make if one's aim is to point out a crowd of xenophobic rednecks. In the 1870's, just after the Civil War, which was probably the 'glory days' of the cowboy's profession, it's estimated that about 1/4 of all western cowboys were black....an even larger number were mestizos....many were white immigrants....and in general, there was a fairly high degree of diversity. A number of these folks were 'on the run' from legal problems, bad marriages, abusive homes, etc etc etc.

So much for Roy Rogers and Gene Autry....guess the "cowboy lifestyle" was broader than we think....(if you'll pardon my sayin' so, Ma'am......much obliged.....and 'Happy Trails'...)

Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I'm curious too. Why do you support massive immigration and massive illegal immigration from just one country? Do you believe every Asian, every African, and every European or Middle Easterner who wants more money or free health care or whatever "better life" has a right to just waltz into the USA?

Most pro-illegals want unlimited immigration from Mexico and maybe Central America. Some extend it to all Latin America. Many do not believe in the unlimited immigration or exemption from our laws for ALL people, ALL races. The pro-illegals are almost always La Raza racists. I don't think many people don't see that.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
In areas OTHER than the SW, which has enjoyed a large, LEGAL Hispanic population for AGES, the percentage of illegal aliens could conceivably be as high as 75%. Take Georgia for example. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that there are a half-million illegals in the state. The TOTAL number of Hispanics in Georgia is 770,000.Statistics Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (http://www.ghcc.org/Statistics.html - broken link)

That tells me that 2/3's of the Hispanics in Georgia have no legal right to be there. It's hard NOT to generalize with percentages like that, don't you think?
This is pretty much the 'theory' I've had ever since encountering the anger and discord on this forum (which, I'll admit, I do find disheartening). My 'theory' was that Hispanics, more or less the 'original people' in the SW,(and a familiar part of the 'whole', as you say) have until recent decades been almost UNKNOWN in many other parts of the nation....and that, in fact, SOME of these areas (particularly in the South) not only weren't familiar with Mexicans, they weren't familiar with ANY immigrants at ALL, and some areas had virtually NO recent immigration.(recall that some areas of the south until recently were '97 % American born'). These areas weren't known for their warm attitude toward 'diversity' anyway...and now, in recent decades, they find themselves encountering LOTS of new immigrants, a good number of whom are, in fact ILLEGAL.

The resulting 'anger' and the 'xenophobia' aren't pleasant, but they aren't totally surprising, either. When you move 'new people' into an area that already has problems of poverty, low wages, and lack of education, some local 'grumbling' is certainly predictable...right? If that's ALL that happens, we're lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration