Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:49 PM

146 posts, read 641,408 times

Advertisements

I am sick and tired of the term ethnically diverse. I think it is just a code word for communities and neighborhoods full of immigrants that have a case of White and Black (American Born) Flight.

I rarely see a white majority in a so called diverse community. In fact diverse really means not many whites. I also see a black flight from these rich immigrant communities. If alot of Hispanics move into the neighborhood, then the blacks move out.

What is the real definition of a "diverse community"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
The city: Hayward, CA comes to mind.

Whites- 32%*
Hispanics- 34%*
Blacks- 20%*
Asians- 18%*

Wait.. what?!?! How can this be possible?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Diversity doesn't mean "presence of non-whites." It means a good presence of people from various racial and ethnic groups. There are plenty of majority-white areas that are diverse. My neighborhood is about half white and has plenty of black, Asian, and Hispanic people (of various races and racial mixtures) living here. Plenty of neighborhoods here in NYC are similar.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I am sick and tired of the term ethnically diverse. I think it is just a code word for communities and neighborhoods full of immigrants that have a case of White and Black (American Born) Flight.

I rarely see a white majority in a so called diverse community. In fact diverse really means not many whites. I also see a black flight from these rich immigrant communities. If alot of Hispanics move into the neighborhood, then the blacks move out.

Actually you can look at where i live as a model diverse community, the West End of Alexandria, VA. There are a good mix of blacks, whites, hispanics, asians and other assorted immigrants.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:59 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post

This is a really great assessment/post. That being said, my suburban neighborhood and those surrounding it are very ethnically diverse. There are whites, blacks, asians, pakistanis and a few iranians. I live near Argonne Labs which is a government facility that primarily employs scientists, engineers and IT professionals. While many of them wear their native dress, and sometimes speak in their native tongue, I have yet to meet anyone who does not speak English. Because they are educated, they seem to have no problem assimilating. They are respectful of our laws, our culture and are grateful to be here.

Believe me, there is a humongous difference in those who are sane, humble and educated that immigrate to the US to work legally vs. illiterate peasants who thumb their noses at the rule of law, are jealous of and hate America and whose ultimate goal is to procreate for the purpose of future chain migration in their quest to destroy us.

Rep points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Diversity doesn't mean "presence of non-whites." It means a good presence of people from various racial and ethnic groups. There are plenty of majority-white areas that are diverse. My neighborhood is about half white and has plenty of black, Asian, and Hispanic people (of various races and racial mixtures) living here. Plenty of neighborhoods here in NYC are similar.
In the city I stated above. I lived there for a few years, and its honestly not bad at all. Like all cities, there are nice parts and there are bad parts.

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
The city: Hayward, CA comes to mind.

Whites- 32%*
Hispanics- 34%*
Blacks- 20%*
Asians- 18%*

Wait.. what?!?! How can this be possible?
The only POSSIBLE way this could happen is that every man. woman and child in Hayward is American born....and thus it's not an "immigrant rich diverse neighborhood"..it's just a "regular diverse neighborhood".

But what do I know about Hayward? My late aunt and her family lived for decades in Fremont....but that doesn't make me an expert on Hayward.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Long Beach, CA:
45% White,
35% Hispanic
14% African American
12% Asian

Irvine, CA:
61.06% White
2% African American
29.83% Asian America
7% Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Chula Vista, CA:
Hispanic (49.6%)
White Non-Hispanic (31.7%)
Other race (22.1%)
Filipino (7.3%)
Two or more races (5.8%)
Black (4.6%)
American Indian (1.4%)
Japanese (1.4%)
Korean (0.9%)
Chinese (0.6%)

Weston, FL:
White Non-Hispanic (61.8%)
Hispanic (30.2%)
Black (3.7%)
Other race (2.9%)
Two or more races (2.2%)
Asian Indian (1.1%)
Chinese (0.8%)
Korean (0.5%)

White Plains, NY:
White Non-Hispanic (54.2%)
Hispanic (23.5%)
Black (15.9%)
Other race (10.4%)
Two or more races (3.9%)
Asian Indian (1.8%)
Chinese (1.1%)
American Indian (0.8%)
Japanese (0.5%)

Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Long Beach, CA:
45% White,
35% Hispanic
14% African American
12% Asian

Irvine, CA:
61.06% White
2% African American
29.83% Asian America
7% Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Weston, FL:
White Non-Hispanic (61.8%)
Hispanic (30.2%)
Black (3.7%)
Other race (2.9%)
Two or more races (2.2%)
Asian Indian (1.1%)
Chinese (0.8%)
Korean (0.5%)

Irvine isn't a "normal" city...there are no muffler shops, no radiator shops, and the few winos only drink 'blush'....

Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Irvine isn't a "normal" city...there are no muffler shops, no radiator shops, and the few winos only drink 'blush'....
To think I was going to move there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration