U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,696,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I tried to rep you Random, but it says I should 'spread the love'.

There's been so much indoctrination over drug use these last 70 years, (dating from the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937) that many people don't even realize their support for the 'War on Drugs' does nothing but continue the status quo.

One added benefit of legalization would be the almost immediate balancing of the Federal budget through taxes levied on such products.

Why financially support the cartels??
------------

Do you want a doctor operating on you who dropped acid the night before and/or his nurse smoked a bit of hash before coming on duty.

Bus driven by someone who pot brownies .

List is endless this is why you can never legalize drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 03:16 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
------------

Do you want a doctor operating on you who dropped acid the night before and/or his nurse smoked a bit of hash before coming on duty.

Paranoid much???

Doctors are high all the time, they have the highest percentage of prescription drug abuse of ANY profession. Bus drivers don't usually imbibe before going on shift, but lots of airline pilots have been busted lately for flying drunk.

You should get out in the real world some...

Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM

307 posts, read 458,567 times
Quote:
------------

No I don't. And that is the point. Doctors, Nurses, etc already perform there jobs while on drugs. The Drug war does not stop that. Do you have any concept how easy it is for someone to get Acid or Marijuana? The thought that our Drug war stops them from getting said drugs is laughable.

Laws are already on the books, or can be added making what you mention (Doctors using drugs) illegal and I support such laws. However the vast majority of American jobs do not have any real risk if someone eats a hash brownie. "Ohhh the McD’s worker looks a little stoned." or "The Walmart greeter is eying my Doritos because she has the munchies.". Big Deal.

Solution 1. Spend hundreds of Billions of Dollars fighting the Drug War. At the same time said Drug War will fund millions of Criminals, Dictators and Terrorists. Said war will keep those who might otherwise come forward and seek help, in the closet and continuing to operate on you while drugged up.

Solution 2. Stop the insane drug war and treat this as an addiction problem. Save Billions of dollars, put many criminals and Dictators out of business, and use 1/10th the money saved to get those addicted help. Take another couple of billion dollars and a like number of police man hours and enforce laws making it illegal to operate a vehicle, operate on a patient, etc while intoxicated on ANY mind altering substance.

Which of these two solutions has a higher chance of stopping what you are concerned about? The Shotgun Drug War, or the pin point sniper bullet to the REAL problems?

As with all problems in the world there are limited resources. Every dollar we spend on this "WAR" is a dollar less spent fighting many far more serious problems.

Random

Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Doctors are high all the time, they have the highest percentage of prescription drug abuse of ANY profession.
FANTASTIC POINT. Forgot all about that little fact.

Random

Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,696,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
No I don't. And that is the point. Doctors, Nurses, etc already perform there jobs while on drugs. The Drug war does not stop that. Do you have any concept how easy it is for someone to get Acid or Marijuana? The thought that our Drug war stops them from getting said drugs is laughable.

Laws are already on the books, or can be added making what you mention (Doctors using drugs) illegal and I support such laws. However the vast majority of American jobs do not have any real risk if someone eats a hash brownie. "Ohhh the McD’s worker looks a little stoned." or "The Walmart greeter is eying my Doritos because she has the munchies.". Big Deal.

Solution 1. Spend hundreds of Billions of Dollars fighting the Drug War. At the same time said Drug War will fund millions of Criminals, Dictators and Terrorists. Said war will keep those who might otherwise come forward and seek help, in the closet and continuing to operate on you while drugged up.

Solution 2. Stop the insane drug war and treat this as an addiction problem. Save Billions of dollars, put many criminals and Dictators out of business, and use 1/10th the money saved to get those addicted help. Take another couple of billion dollars and a like number of police man hours and enforce laws making it illegal to operate a vehicle, operate on a patient, etc while intoxicated on ANY mind altering substance.

Which of these two solutions has a higher chance of stopping what you are concerned about? The Shotgun Drug War, or the pin point sniper bullet to the REAL problems?

As with all problems in the world there are limited resources. Every dollar we spend on this "WAR" is a dollar less spent fighting many far more serious problems.

Random
------------
"No I don't. And that is the point. Doctors, Nurses, etc already perform there jobs while on drugs."

This is beyond absurd

Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 853,847 times
Quote:
------------
"No I don't. And that is the point. Doctors, Nurses, etc already perform there jobs while on drugs."

This is beyond absurd

I could tell you some stories about nurses stealing morphine from hospitals .

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
------------

This is beyond absurd
Yes that sums up the our current WAR ON DRUGS. ABSURD!

This from a Washington Post Article researching the Virginia Board of Medicines Records.

Quote:
Virginia Board of Medicine records show that an Arlington ophthalmologist who performed cataract surgery under the influence, his hands shaking and his speech slurred, still has his license. So does a Loudoun County gastroenterologist who deprived his colonoscopy patients of painkillers and injected himself with the drugs between operations.
Read more here.

Washington Post Article on Doctors Using Drugs

Random

Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,765 times
Damn Luiso, it looks like your rose-colored glasses have a crack in them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration