Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When it has to do with inability to speak English, yes it's an immigration topic. You'd be hard-pressed to find one of those American-hispanic families with roots going way way back with kids unable to speak English or who would be trying to keep them Spanish speaking. Those people do not make this kind of thing an issue.

The Spanish language thing is with immigrants and the anchor children. This is about special free programs for "immigrants" not for any long-time American of any background.
English wasn't my first language. And really, to make the assumption that this is on purpose for the kids to get free program at school is truly ignorant. I didn't speak English because my mother never taught me as she was an immigrant herself who took care of me full-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
English wasn't my first language. And really, to make the assumption that this is on purpose for the kids to get free program at school is truly ignorant. I didn't speak English because my mother never taught me as she was an immigrant herself who took care of me full-time.
Then why isn't free day care being offered to everyone? Why would it be given to just one group?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM

This is what the writer in the article for this thread stated:

We were told that our daughter was not accepted into the Pre-K program because she is too English-proficient. My daughter is bilingual and actually speaks more Spanish than English. Yet she was told she speaks English too well.
Why are Walnut Hill and DISD only catering to children who speak absolutely no English? Is the tax money I pay not good enough?

I'm all for ESL and bilingual classes for our children, but not at the expense of families that have been rooted in this community all their lives, speak both English and Spanish and who have children already enrolled in their schools.

Exactly WHY is something being given to immigrants and their children that Americans are being excluded from using?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This is what the writer in the article for this thread stated:

We were told that our daughter was not accepted into the Pre-K program because she is too English-proficient. My daughter is bilingual and actually speaks more Spanish than English. Yet she was told she speaks English too well.
Why are Walnut Hill and DISD only catering to children who speak absolutely no English? Is the tax money I pay not good enough?

I'm all for ESL and bilingual classes for our children, but not at the expense of families that have been rooted in this community all their lives, speak both English and Spanish and who have children already enrolled in their schools.

Exactly WHY is something being given to immigrants and their children that Americans are being excluded from using?
WHY are there some scholarships that only apply to people of a certain color? America is full of things like this even though I don't agree with them. They just create double standards.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times
Quote:
Wouldn't this qualify her for an advanced placement class? If this is the case than its actually beneficial for her. Applying the same logic, its like I would get kicked out of an English class for not being proficient enough in English. This thread earns a spot in the education forum-- not the immigration forum. It has gotten to the point where virtually anything relating to Hispanics gets thrust in the immigration forum. Actually no, we're not all immigrants.

x2 thats what I was thinking. This qualifies her for a chance at a higher level of education. It seems to have turned out as a blessing in disguise.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
WHY are there some scholarships that only apply to people of a certain color? America is full of things like this even though I don't agree with them. They just create double standards.

There aren't any scholarships given to anyone because they have white skin, and not many are given to those of Asian immigrant families.

Whether or not one agrees, there is still some logic or some kind of justification when talking about giving blacks scholarships for the reason that their ancestors were enslaved and denied even wages for their labor, there was institutionalized racism that was meant to keep them down. Their ancestors didn't have a choice, they didn't come here of their own volition.

People maybe agree or disagree with the rightness of society trying to make up for this but it's a whole different argument than entitlements to foreign groups who come here. Why would an immigrant be given free day care or free public school that is denied to citizens? Not just that, irresponsible immigrants who choose not to properly prepare their children for school in this country are rewarded with free day care or public school while responsible immigrants like the citizens are turned away.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM

I would think that banning citizens while allowing foreign groups speaking their national languages admission would break the anti-discrimination laws which forbid discrimation on the basis of race or color, religion, sex, and national origin. Providing some free government service to immigrants that American citizens would not be given is certainly discrimination on the basis of national origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration