U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

15,998 posts, read 25,918,907 times

Advertisements

My daughter was excluded | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Opinion: Letters (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/monletters8.f1f0af2.html - broken link)

"...told that our daughter was not accepted into the Pre-K program because she is too English-proficient. My daughter is bilingual and actually speaks more Spanish than English. Yet she was told she speaks English too well.

Why are Walnut Hill and DISD only catering to children who speak absolutely no English? Is the tax money I pay not good enough? ..."

- Eric Marceleno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM

15,149 posts, read 17,723,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My daughter was excluded | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Opinion: Letters (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/monletters8.f1f0af2.html - broken link)

"...told that our daughter was not accepted into the Pre-K program because she is too English-proficient. My daughter is bilingual and actually speaks more Spanish than English. Yet she was told she speaks English too well.

Why are Walnut Hill and DISD only catering to children who speak absolutely no English? Is the tax money I pay not good enough? ..."

- Eric Marceleno
maddening. The english language in the US is defintely on life support in some parts.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,189,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
maddening. The english language in the US is defintely on life support in some parts.
Most definitely....and some are just itching to pull the plug.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,612,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Ridiculous, by that logic that would mean english would become extinct. You honestly see that happening? No, I don't think so.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,035,177 times
The assistant manager of an apartment complex where we provide painting services has told us she thinks a law should be passed where all Americans are required to speak Spanish--not do away with English, just be required to learn Spanish.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,720,003 times
A far wiser law would require all to speak, write, and understand English, the lingua franca of the entire United States. Any extra foreign language education should be the citizen's personal choice, as a professional asset, as a familial tie, as a love of learning, and as it should be: personal choice, fostered in our education system. I would love to be proficient in Japanese and/or Swahili to reflect my interest in those parts of the world: Mandarin and/or Arabic as extra languages would be the modern student's best choices currently for extra business success.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM

28,114 posts, read 23,762,325 times
Yeah...there are parts of this country in which people will actually get mad at you if you can't speak Spanish. What a freakin' turn-around.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 232,609 times
Wouldn't this qualify her for an advanced placement class? If this is the case than its actually beneficial for her. Applying the same logic, its like I would get kicked out of an English class for not being proficient enough in English. This thread earns a spot in the education forum-- not the immigration forum. It has gotten to the point where virtually anything relating to Hispanics gets thrust in the immigration forum. Actually no, we're not all immigrants.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,497,518 times
Mexicans here use that free-pre-K as free babysitting. They can have a well paying job, they can even be affluent and bingo -- as long as they keep their kids from learning English, they're "entitled" to this free program.

They don't have much to worry about --- the pre-K is "bilingual" which means Spanish speaking and the child won't learn English and have to be excluded. They just have to keep the Univision Channel on to make sure they don't inadvertantly pick up English.

Parents who want their kids prepared for American schools will enroll their children in private pre-K and encourage them to learn English that way. They have to pay -- but some do.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,497,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Wouldn't this qualify her for an advanced placement class? If this is the case than its actually beneficial for her. Applying the same logic, its like I would get kicked out of an English class for not being proficient enough in English. This thread earns a spot in the education forum-- not the immigration forum. It has gotten to the point where virtually anything relating to Hispanics gets thrust in the immigration forum. Actually no, we're not all immigrants.
When it has to do with inability to speak English, yes it's an immigration topic. You'd be hard-pressed to find one of those American-hispanic families with roots going way way back with kids unable to speak English or who would be trying to keep them Spanish speaking. Those people do not make this kind of thing an issue.

The Spanish language thing is with immigrants and the anchor children. This is about special free programs for "immigrants" not for any long-time American of any background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration