U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,703,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
It is being done on farms in Colorado and by all accounts it seems like it is working well.

Think Outside the Cage: Prisoners and Farms

It seem's to be working .

One problem with these programs be it inmates working farm's or road work,etc .
Is that it become's very dangerous when the state has a vested interest in putting people in prison for cheap/free labor.

The poor person who stole to eat will wind up working the farm while the rich CEO who stole million's gets house "arrest".

It does look "okay" but people shouldn't drop their guard with program's like this. They are misused all over the world and here also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,191,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post

Is that it become's very dangerous when the state has a vested interest in putting people in prison for cheap/free labor.

The poor person who stole to eat will wind up working the farm while the rich CEO who stole million's gets house "arrest".

It does look "okay" but people shouldn't drop their guard with program's like this. They are misused all over the world and here also.
I really don't know why you are bringing rich vs poor into this debate-that has nothing to do with it-that is a different debate for a different forum. This is about using minimum-risk prisoners to fill a need instead of a farm employing illegal aliens and I am 100% fine with that. The prisoners themselves are happy-they get outdoors, make more money, etc. If you google about this you will see a lot of other articles and there are interviews with some of the women who actually said they have pride in working for the first time in their lives. And if this program helps to instill work ethic and keeps just one of these women on the clean path after her release-then even better.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:

There has always been a disparity in our judicial system between rich and poor. The wealthy can afford the best defense, whereas the poor must settle for a public defender. Should this disparity justify absolving the guilty? Should a “poor” bank robber receive a slap on the wrist simply because a “rich” embezzler managed to finagle his way out of a conviction? Two wrongs have never made a right.

I do not believe that more people would be incarcerated simply to ensure an adequate prison workforce. There are more than enough non-violent prisoners to sustain a work-release program without law enforcement resorting to unethical practices. Granted, there are dirty cops; but the vast majority are decent, law-abiding, and deserve our gratitude. It is an honorable profession, and to imply otherwise, is an affront to all of the heroic police officers who risk their lives, and die, fighting crime.

I agree with nicolem. These programs have been utilized in many areas of this country with great success. It does in fact instill pride and a work ethic in many unaccustomed to earning an ‘honest’ wage. Let’s not forget the welfare recipient. They can also be used to replace illegals. Those who sit on their butts watching soaps and having babies should be forced to ‘earn’ their money and reduce their burden on taxpayers. We don’t need illegal aliens, period.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,057,072 times
Quote:

Sadly, I don't think the government will ever run out of potential cheap labor, drugs are a heavy recruiter for them.

But, and I say this having a brother in fed. prison on drug charges, I think the prisoners would like this option. My brother is a lazy sob it is true....but when in prison he likes to work. I doubt he is alone in that Being able to break up the monotony of the day and make better pay --- you would have inmates fighting to get into the fields.
Now, if only the aclu would let it happen

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There has always been a disparity in our judicial system between rich and poor. The wealthy can afford the best defense, whereas the poor must settle for a public defender. Should this disparity justify absolving the guilty? Should a “poor” bank robber receive a slap on the wrist simply because a “rich” embezzler managed to finagle his way out of a conviction? Two wrongs have never made a right.

I do not believe that more people would be incarcerated simply to ensure an adequate prison workforce. There are more than enough non-violent prisoners to sustain a work-release program without law enforcement resorting to unethical practices. Granted, there are dirty cops; but the vast majority are decent, law-abiding, and deserve our gratitude. It is an honorable profession, and to imply otherwise, is an affront to all of the heroic police officers who risk their lives, and die, fighting crime.

I agree with nicolem. These programs have been utilized in many areas of this country with great success. It does in fact instill pride and a work ethic in many unaccustomed to earning an ‘honest’ wage. Let’s not forget the welfare recipient. They can also be used to replace illegals. Those who sit on their butts watching soaps and having babies should be forced to ‘earn’ their money and reduce their burden on taxpayers. We don’t need illegal aliens, period.
Yes, they should give welfare people this option as well. Unfortunatly, the aclu would put up a huge stink. God forbid that segment of our population should actually have to work for a living

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
--------------
When I moved here . I drove from PA to Miami . It took me 2 week's because my house wasn't ready yet so took my time and went to out of the way stayed at cheap motel's.

I was shocked at the dire poverty in some areas ESP the South . In the end I blame 100% the parasite politician's .

Show me a town where citizen's looking for work can't find it (there are MANY) because the job's are taken by illegal's and I will show you politician's who belong in jail .

They have looked the other way at the citizen's expense and most likely their over -sea safe deposit box has grown quit a bit.

I have never blamed the illegal's that's where I differ from many.
I have blamed the politician's 100% for being enabler's.
I wish I had been able to rep you

Yes, employers bear the brunt of the blame....but then so do the politicians who look the other way. As for the illegals themselves, yes they are trying to better their lives. But they are hurting others in the process....surey they are not unaware of that fact. Plus, they come here with a sense of entitlement that would put the local welfare queen to shame.
They are all dirty.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I wish I had been able to rep you

Yes, employers bear the brunt of the blame....but then so do the politicians who look the other way. As for the illegals themselves, yes they are trying to better their lives. But they are hurting others in the process....surey they are not unaware of that fact. Plus, they come here with a sense of entitlement that would put the local welfare queen to shame.
They are all dirty.
Not only are they "aware" of the fact that they are hurting legal citizens, many of them revel in their ability to ‘stick it’ to the mean-spirited xenophobic citizens of this country. They only think of themselves……to hell with everyone else.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,696,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Sadly, I don't think the government will ever run out of potential cheap labor, drugs are a heavy recruiter for them.

But, and I say this having a brother in fed. prison on drug charges, I think the prisoners would like this option. My brother is a lazy sob it is true....but when in prison he likes to work. I doubt he is alone in that Being able to break up the monotony of the day and make better pay --- you would have inmates fighting to get into the fields.
Now, if only the aclu would let it happen
Witness Sheriff Joe's 'chain' gangs' here where I live (Maricopa County)---------prisoners all but fight to be allowed on one vs. sitting in their cells or Tent City.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 AM

756 posts, read 1,759,725 times
I do not know if the illegals are aware of what they are doing it does not matter because we are aware in it is our land, so what illegals know are do not know is beside the point.

by the way there is more then just one plant in ms.
and no-one is going to work like that for 9dollars hr. but an illegal.
these plants do not want to pay what the job is worth and they are the ones to blame.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,063,158 times
They should charge the owners/managers with treason! What greedy , cheating, scum!

This company was given 31 million dollars of O U R (American's ) money for improvements!

And they used it to SCREW Americans!

Thank you , thank you thank you to the UNION worker who turned them in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or