U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times

Advertisements

LAUREL, Miss. Federal immigration agents said they uncovered 350 suspected undocumented workers in a raid on a Mississippi electrical equipment plant Monday, hours after sealing all entrances amid reports their sweep had idled normal operations

"This is a targeted enforcement operation that is part of an ongoing ICE investigation that has revealed that illegal aliens are employed at Howard Industries," Gonzalez said, adding late Monday that agents were still interviewing plant workers.

FOXNews.com - Feds: Hundreds of Suspected Illegal Workers Found at Mississippi Plant - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
The employer will likely say that he had to bring in cheap illegals because there is 0% unemployment in Mississippi and that wages of Americans there is far far too high.

This is a perfect example of what illegal immigration is all about. A state with high unemployment, lack of jobs for it's people and someone is bringing in all kinds of illegals to work.

It's all about lowering of wages, keeping people desperate because some like desperate workers. They're more submissive.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 AM

638 posts, read 1,638,164 times
Mississippi, poorest State in the country.

426,116 Mississippians use food stamps to buy food every month. That amounts to 15 percent of the people in Mississippi, or 1 in 7 (Note : West Virginia, 2nd poorest State is 1 in 6 because of higher food costs).

About 82 percent of Mississippi food stamp benefits go to households with children, many of them in working families. Most of the rest go to households containing elderly people or people with disabilities.

From 2000 to 2007, the pecentage of food stamp particpants rose 54%

http://www.cbpp.org/states/foodstamp-fact-ms.pdf

The wage base for these Americans is not a living wage, and they add illegals to that to drive the wage base lower? Unconscionable(sp?)

Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times
Why can't employers use prisoners who are in a setting known as "work release." These people serving time in jail for lower level crimes go to a facility that is locked down at night, they find work and go to jobs every day, they are unguarded and get their own transportation to and from the facility either using the bus system or getting rides. The employers would pay the county, they are getting cheap labor and the hard labor might be a deterrent. The employers would be heros. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the millions upon millions in welfare benefits being paid to illegals, and there are hundreds and thousands of prisoners in every state and county sitting on their back ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The employer will likely say that he had to bring in cheap illegals because there is 0% unemployment in Mississippi and that wages of Americans there is far far too high.

This is a perfect example of what illegal immigration is all about. A state with high unemployment, lack of jobs for it's people and someone is bringing in all kinds of illegals to work.

It's all about lowering of wages, keeping people desperate because some like desperate workers. They're more submissive.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Mississippi, poorest State in the country.

426,116 Mississippians use food stamps to buy food every month. That amounts to 15 percent of the people in Mississippi, or 1 in 7 (Note : West Virginia, 2nd poorest State is 1 in 6 because of higher food costs).

About 82 percent of Mississippi food stamp benefits go to households with children, many of them in working families. Most of the rest go to households containing elderly people or people with disabilities.

From 2000 to 2007, the pecentage of food stamp particpants rose 54%

http://www.cbpp.org/states/foodstamp-fact-ms.pdf

The wage base for these Americans is not a living wage, and they add illegals to that to drive the wage base lower? Unconscionable(sp?)

--------------
When I moved here . I drove from PA to Miami . It took me 2 week's because my house wasn't ready yet so took my time and went to out of the way stayed at cheap motel's.

I was shocked at the dire poverty in some areas ESP the South . In the end I blame 100% the parasite politician's .

Show me a town where citizen's looking for work can't find it (there are MANY) because the job's are taken by illegal's and I will show you politician's who belong in jail .

They have looked the other way at the citizen's expense and most likely their over -sea safe deposit box has grown quit a bit.

I have never blamed the illegal's that's where I differ from many.
I have blamed the politician's 100% for being enabler's.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

-------------

The town Mayor,etc is as much to blame as the employer .
Infact if the Town Mayor,council was put in jail all this would come to an abrupt end .

Politician's at the local level KNOW what is going on they prefer to play the role of the "blind man/woman" .

If you look at some of the youtube link's that are posted here you see citizen's yelling,etc at illegal's which acheives nothing but the real cuplrit they give a free pass .

Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
--------------
When I moved here . I drove from PA to Miami . It took me 2 week's because my house wasn't ready yet so took my time and went to out of the way stayed at cheap motel's.

I was shocked at the dire poverty in some areas ESP the South . In the end I blame 100% the parasite politician's .

Show me a town where citizen's looking for work can't find it (there are MANY) because the job's are taken by illegal's and I will show you politician's who belong in jail .

They have looked the other way at the citizen's expense and most likely their over -sea safe deposit box has grown quit a bit.

I have never blamed the illegal's that's where I differ from many.
I have blamed the politician's 100% for being enabler's.
Good post. I differ with you on a few points however. I blame the politicians, I blame the employers, I blame the enablers. Those who know whats going on and don't report it. I also blame the illegals. The bottom line is they made the choice to violate our laws, to come here as criminals and to be used by the greedy employers. They know and understand that they are hurting honest citizens but just don't care.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Why can't employers use prisoners who are in a setting known as "work release." These people serving time in jail for lower level crimes go to a facility that is locked down at night, they find work and go to jobs every day, they are unguarded and get their own transportation to and from the facility either using the bus system or getting rides. The employers would pay the county, they are getting cheap labor and the hard labor might be a deterrent. The employers would be heros. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the millions upon millions in welfare benefits being paid to illegals, and there are hundreds and thousands of prisoners in every state and county sitting on their back ends.
It is being done on farms in Colorado and by all accounts it seems like it is working well.

Think Outside the Cage: Prisoners and Farms

Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
The feds need to hit the carpet mills in Dalton Ga next.

The Little Georgia Town That Covers New York City in Turf - January 7, 2008 - The New York Sun

Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Good post. I differ with you on a few points however. I blame the politicians, I blame the employers, I blame the enablers. Those who know whats going on and don't report it. I also blame the illegals. The bottom line is they made the choice to violate our laws, to come here as criminals and to be used by the greedy employers. They know and understand that they are hurting honest citizens but just don't care.
-------------

They don't care because they are looking for a better life .

However in the process they are taking job's from citizen's ,they are lowering working wages , hurting union's, using social services-huge hospital bill's citizen's pay,etc.

But again they don't come to hurt anyone . Most come for a better life but it's not a win win and citizen's do pay from every angle.

They do it because "our" politician's allow it .
In an Ideal Utopian world where criminal's dont come in via the border ,where money grow's on tree's thus no problem with paying for social service's,etc than I say great .

Since that is not the case .
The well being of this country and citizen's must come first which is why I subscribe to closed border's and enforcing all visa,worker permit's.

People who demonstrate any place but a politician's office,etc are demonstrating at the wrong place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or