U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Hispanics: A Culture, Not a Race

The above was written by an American of Spanish heritage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's a good idea to check hispanic, so that you can be part of a "special group" and can get certain privileges that whites don't.
I know people who do that. One guy went so far as to legally change his last name to a Spanish one to get into medical school and the lowered qualifications required. Another family that isn't hispanic checked off hispanic when filling out college applications and financial aid requests and they got their kids free college that way.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Mestizos are not (nor other mixed race combinations common in Latin America) counted in the census.

Hispanics are a cultural group, but are treated as if it were a race by most Americans and thus has led to much confusion.

The census should be more specific:
1. white-Hispanic: for Carmen Diaz and others who consider themselves white
2. mestizo-Hispanic: most Hispanics fall in this category
3. indigeneous-Hispanic: Native-American ancestry, but speaks Spanish
4. Mixed Race - Hispanic (often a combination of African, Indigeneous and Spanish)
5. Black/African - Hispanic: lots of Afro-Hispanics from various countries
6. Asian - Hispanic (for example former President of Peru was of Japanese ancestry)
7. indigeneous (Native peoples that don't speak Spanish, but come from a Latin American country.
8. other-Hispanic

I think this would help clarify everyone's understanding of the census.

Right now 65% of Americans are counted as non-Hispanic white, but I estimate the total
white population when including white-Hispanics to be probably more like 68%.

My U.S. population estimates would be:
whites 68%
blacks 13%
mestizos 11%
Asians and Pacific Islanders 5%
mixed-race/other 1.5%
indigeneous 1.5%

I don't think "hispanics" are even a cultural group because they come from different countries, with different foods, different economies, different histories, different music. An American "hispanic" might speak only English, grow up eating American foods, listen and prefer American music and his family was making history or living it here in the USA. Why would they be considered part of a foreign culture?

People from Argentina might be German or Italian heritage. They might eat the food of their ancestor instead of tacos and refried beans.

I don't see the point in breaking out Spanish speakers as a separate group when it's not done with Polish speakers, Italian speakers. If the focus is on race, then white is white, black is black, mixed is mixed and so on independent of language and since race is defined by many as skin tone, just get out a color chart and categorize that way. If the focus is on where one's ancestors lived, then the country of origin should be it. A Mexican is a native of Mexico, a German is from Germany, a Kenyan is from Kenya.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think "hispanics" are even a cultural group because they come from different countries, with different foods, different economies, different histories, different music. An American "hispanic" might speak only English, grow up eating American foods, listen and prefer American music and his family was making history or living it here in the USA. Why would they be considered part of a foreign culture?

People from Argentina might be German or Italian heritage. They might eat the food of their ancestor instead of tacos and refried beans.
My up bringing was somewhat different than the average Mexican. My father had considerably more American values than a fresh Mexican immigrant. On that note, my fathers side is definitely more Americanized and evidently thats who I spent most of my past times with. Where as my mothers side is definitely more with the hardcore Mexican culture. That is why I identify with both cultures, categorizing myself with only one would not be correct in my opinion. I have both, American and Mexican values-- but certainly more American values.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,115,744 times
Default Census should junk Hispanic category and just use racial criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I don't see the point in breaking out Spanish speakers as a separate group when it's not done with Polish speakers, Italian speakers. If the focus is on race, then white is white, black is black, mixed is mixed and so on independent of language and since race is defined by many as skin tone, just get out a color chart and categorize that way. If the focus is on where one's ancestors lived, then the country of origin should be it. A Mexican is a native of Mexico, a German is from Germany, a Kenyan is from Kenya.

The census should get rid of the Hispanic category and just use race as criteria for classification of people. It would be much easier and straight forward.

Everyone knows when a person is white or black or something else. For example Barack Obama would be mixed reace according to the census, but if you saw him in the supermarket you would just think he was black. That is how the census should work using simpler categories.

White (as accepted in America)
Black (Negroid)
Mulatto
Mestizo
Native (Indigeneous)
Pacific Islander
Asiatic (Mongloid)
Middle Easterners and Near East peoples (sub-continent of India) technically are caucasoid, but are not seen as white in America.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
go to the link below. It is from census.gov
Read the census form. it asks if you are of Hispanic origin and how. It also says it is not a race, so you are asked for race in another section. This is not hard to access.

The Questions on the Form - 2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php - broken link)

Tabs 8 and 9 apply to how you list yourself. It is your choice.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
The census should get rid of the Hispanic category and just use race as criteria for classification of people. It would be much easier and straight forward.

Everyone knows when a person is white or black or something else. For example Barack Obama would be mixed reace according to the census, but if you saw him in the supermarket you would just think he was black. That is how the census should work using simpler categories.

White (as accepted in America)
Black (Negroid)
Mulatto
Mestizo
Native (Indigeneous)
Pacific Islander
Asiatic (Mongloid)
Middle Easterners and Near East peoples (sub-continent of India) technically are caucasoid, but are not seen as white in America.
I totally agree!! Hispanic is not a race but all of the catagories you listed are. I never understood why Hispanic was a catagory in the census anyway. It is merely a culture.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 AM

332 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
so if the majority of hispanics are white, how is America becoming a non-white majority because of a booming hispanic population?
The majority of Hispanics are not White. Have you ever step foot in Los Angeles or El Paso ? Is so did the majority of the population in those cities look White to you ?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM

332 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Mestizos are counted as White.
This is true. I have seen mug shots before of MS-13 members who were arrested by the FBI, and under race some of the members were listed as White.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
The majority of Hispanics are not White. Have you ever step foot in Los Angeles or El Paso ? Is so did the majority of the population in those cities look White to you ?
I understand that you are going by skin color as most Mestizo's Amerindian genes are dominant but they are still partially white racially due to their Spanish genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration