U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 PM

55 posts, read 199,631 times

Advertisements

My question is are mestizos (mixed Euro-Indian) counted as white in the US census or as American Indian?

Also, I keep hearing that whites are soon to become a minority in America because of the rising Hispanic population. Interestingly enough, according to the US census the majority of Hispanics are white. I then found out that people like Cameron Diaz, Christina Aguilera, and Alexis Bledel are all counted as Hispanics. These people clearly look white, so if the majority of hispanics are white, how is America becoming a non-white majority because of a booming hispanic population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amark View Post
My question is are mestizos (mixed Euro-Indian) counted as white in the US census or as American Indian?

Also, I keep hearing that whites are soon to become a minority in America because of the rising Hispanic population. Interestingly enough, according to the US census the majority of Hispanics are white. I then found out that people like Cameron Diaz, Christina Aguilera, and Alexis Bledel are all counted as Hispanics. These people clearly look white, so if the majority of hispanics are white, how is America becoming a non-white majority because of a booming hispanic population?
Before, Mexican Americans were counted as White under the census until the Hispanic tab was made, regardless if they were even mixed with European. They say non-hispanic whites are becoming a minority, people like Cameron Diaz, Christiana Aguilera are hispanic whites.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

In reality, nothing stops someone from checking off whatever box on the census, and you don't have to check any box which many are doing.

If people check "hispanic" instead of "white" -- that was what they chose to do. If you don't check any box, the census workers will show up and try to get you to check one, but the census is only supposed to be about counting people and nothing more.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM

55 posts, read 199,631 times
So under the Hispanic tab, do mestizos qualify as Hispanic Whites or American Indian Hispanics?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
So under the Hispanic tab, do mestizos qualify as Hispanic Whites or American Indian Hispanics?
It doesn't matter, the Hispanic tab is the hispanic tab. Hispanics are as diverse as the U.S. From Sammy Sosa Black to Cameron Diaz White.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
It's a good idea to check hispanic, so that you can be part of a "special group" and can get certain privileges that whites don't.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Mestizos are counted as White.
But theres no record kept on mestizos.

They just take the whole group under Hispanic(mestizos, blacks, whites).
Fully white Latinos...at least of the Mexican variety, are a minority.
I can't speak for Cubans or Argentines or whatever else is out there.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's a good idea to check hispanic, so that you can be part of a "special group" and can get certain privileges that whites don't.
I check hispanic and havent gotten any "certain privileges'.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM

582 posts, read 1,785,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
What privileges would that be? Maybe you should try not checking the box so you don't end up cleaning toilets with a degree.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,116,025 times
Mestizos are not (nor other mixed race combinations common in Latin America) counted in the census.

Hispanics are a cultural group, but are treated as if it were a race by most Americans and thus has led to much confusion.

The census should be more specific:
1. white-Hispanic: for Carmen Diaz and others who consider themselves white
2. mestizo-Hispanic: most Hispanics fall in this category
3. indigeneous-Hispanic: Native-American ancestry, but speaks Spanish
4. Mixed Race - Hispanic (often a combination of African, Indigeneous and Spanish)
5. Black/African - Hispanic: lots of Afro-Hispanics from various countries
6. Asian - Hispanic (for example former President of Peru was of Japanese ancestry)
7. indigeneous (Native peoples that don't speak Spanish, but come from a Latin American country.
8. other-Hispanic

I think this would help clarify everyone's understanding of the census.

Right now 65% of Americans are counted as non-Hispanic white, but I estimate the total
white population when including white-Hispanics to be probably more like 68%.

My U.S. population estimates would be:
whites 68%
blacks 13%
mestizos 11%
Asians and Pacific Islanders 5%
mixed-race/other 1.5%
indigeneous 1.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration