Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,404,509 times

Advertisements

The tour held a mandatory meeting with South Koreans last Wednesday at the Safeway Classic to inform them of the new policy.

"Hopefully, what we're talking about is something that will not happen," deputy commissioner Libba Galloway told Golfweek. "If it does, we wouldn't just say, 'Come back next year.' What we would do is work with them on where they fell short, provide them the resources they need, the tutoring ... and when we feel like they need to be evaluated again, we would evaluate."

There are 121 international players from 26 countries on the LPGA Tour, including 45 players from South Korea.

Golfweek said that while South Koreans were informed of the rule, LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens has not given them a written explanation. But the message already appears to be lost in translation. The magazine said every South Korean player it interviewed believed she would lose her card - not be suspended - if she failed the English evaluation.

Angela Park - born in Brazil of South Korean heritage and raised in the United States - said the policy is fair and good for the tour and its international players.

"A lot of Korean players think they are being targeted, but it's just because there are so many of them," Park said.

Seon-Hwa Lee, the only Asian with multiple victories this year, said she works with an English tutor in the winter. Her ability to answer questions without the help of a translator has improved in her short time on tour.

"The economy is bad, and we are losing sponsors," Lee said. "Everybody understands."

The policy was endorsed by at least one tournament director, Kate Peters of the LPGA State Farm Classic.

"This is an American tour," Peters said. "It is important for sponsors to be able to interact with players and have a positive experience."

LPGA to require all players speak English | Tours & News | Golf.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The tour held a mandatory meeting with South Koreans last Wednesday at the Safeway Classic to inform them of the new policy.

"Hopefully, what we're talking about is something that will not happen," deputy commissioner Libba Galloway told Golfweek. "If it does, we wouldn't just say, 'Come back next year.' What we would do is work with them on where they fell short, provide them the resources they need, the tutoring ... and when we feel like they need to be evaluated again, we would evaluate."

There are 121 international players from 26 countries on the LPGA Tour, including 45 players from South Korea.

Golfweek said that while South Koreans were informed of the rule, LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens has not given them a written explanation. But the message already appears to be lost in translation. The magazine said every South Korean player it interviewed believed she would lose her card - not be suspended - if she failed the English evaluation.

Angela Park - born in Brazil of South Korean heritage and raised in the United States - said the policy is fair and good for the tour and its international players.

"A lot of Korean players think they are being targeted, but it's just because there are so many of them," Park said.

Seon-Hwa Lee, the only Asian with multiple victories this year, said she works with an English tutor in the winter. Her ability to answer questions without the help of a translator has improved in her short time on tour.

"The economy is bad, and we are losing sponsors," Lee said. "Everybody understands."

The policy was endorsed by at least one tournament director, Kate Peters of the LPGA State Farm Classic.

"This is an American tour," Peters said. "It is important for sponsors to be able to interact with players and have a positive experience."

LPGA to require all players speak English | Tours & News | Golf.com
oh the racism! The xenophobia! Oh the...wait, what? It's koreans? Oh well, never mind then

Old 08-26-2008, 12:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
oh the racism! The xenophobia! Oh the...wait, what? It's koreans? Oh well, never mind then
Exactly! It's only racism and xenophobia when the Spanish language is involved. We won't hear a peep out of the ACLU or La Raza.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Exactly! It's only racism and xenophobia when the Spanish language is involved. We won't hear a peep out of the ACLU or La Raza.
Furthermore, the koreans will buckle down and perfect their english. They will not expect and/or demand to have interpreters at the ready nor do they expect/demand that the LPGA officials learn rudimentary korean in order to speak to them, or for that matter have all scoring done in english and hangul. After all --- there is sooooo many of them! After US citizens, the koreans are the largest group in the LPGA, therefore they deserve the extra accomadations. According to laraza and mecha and our own pandering politicians, this would make sense. But, since the koreans have no intention of becoming us citizens (thus voters) they must learn english.

Sooo frustrating!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
i think they are tired of having foreigners win LPGA events.

in 2006 of the 33 LPGA events, only 7 were won by US women.
in 2007 only 12.

its the best way to ensure that US women hold the foreigners off... for a couple years.

i dont think its discriminatory one bit. a lil slick. but it IS a US event.
as it is, most competitors, like the wonderful lorena ochoa of MX, know english. a lot of them are foreign students who played college level in the states.

but it begs the question of... can other golf orgs impose language criteria for their tourneys? what will that do to the overall cohesiveness of the game?

imagine if people had to learn chinese, just to compete in china? or russian to compete in russia.

i think its the US just trying to get an upper hand.

i was wondering why it would be important to know english in order to play golf?
is it safety concerns?
what is the justification for requiring english proficiency of tourney participants.

better yet, what is the justification for having this in the the IMMIGRATION THREAD?

seriously you guys are reaching some times.

this belongs in sports.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

in 2007 only 12.

its the best way to ensure that US women hold the foreigners off... for a couple years.

as it is, most competitors, like the wonderful lorena ochoa of MX, know english. a lot of them are foreign students who played college level in the states.

but it begs the question of... can other golf orgs impose language criteria for their tourneys? what will that do to the overall cohesiveness of the game?

imagine if people had to learn chinese, just to compete in china? or russian to compete in russia.

i was wondering why it would be important to know english in order to play golf?
is it safety concerns?
what is the justification for requiring english proficiency of tourney participants.

better yet, what is the justification for having this in the the IMMIGRATION THREAD?

this belongs in sports.
I think maybe the multi-million $$$ sponsors want to be able to understand the winner's interview...

Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

in 2007 only 12.

is it safety concerns?

this belongs in sports.
An even better question, why are you here?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
Quote:
An even better question, why are you here?
girl, you know this.

for the comic relief!!!

i need a good laugh every now and then, and you guys really help me out in that respect.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
girl, you know this.

for the comic relief!!!

i need a good laugh every now and then, and you guys really help me out in that respect.
Yet, you short change us. So tell me again "girl" other than grossing people out what purpose does your presence on this board serve?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Yet, you short change us. So tell me again "girl" other than grossing people out what purpose does your presence on this board serve?
Girlfriend simply enjoys taking a troll stroll. Apparently the bridge is full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration