U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM

4,278 posts, read 7,893,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
No, and no.
Haiti's in much worse conditions than the Dominican Republic is. DR has poverty, but Haiti is an absolute mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Well, based on that argument, so did Cuba. Who VOTED for Castro in the first place? I mean...those people went from one idiot (Batista) to another (Castro).
I don't remember we Cubans ever voting for Castro....you do know about the Revolution of 1959 right? That's how he came to power. No voting of any kind. You should checks your historical data before posting. Bless your heart.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Haiti's in much worse conditions than the Dominican Republic is. DR has poverty, but Haiti is an absolute mess.

Haiti is worse off than the DR....but neither are paradise. I wouldn't call DR "just fine," and I wouldn't say that Haiti "did it to itself."

Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,892,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Haiti is worse off than the DR....but neither are paradise. I wouldn't call DR "just fine," and I wouldn't say that Haiti "did it to itself."
I would say not our problem.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM

7,352 posts, read 8,994,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana123 View Post
I'm sure some of you people had relatives that migrated to this country for a better life. This country is made up of many nationalities. My husband is an American , Italian & German descent. I'm a Cuban American & proud of who i am. We're not all bad people, we have good & bad like any country. I live in New York & all Russians , chinese & many others are moving here, there's nothing we can do. This is USA so stop the b... sh.. We have more problems to worry about. Have a nice day!!!!!
Yes, my relatives immigrated to the U.S. Legally.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,723,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I don't remember we Cubans ever voting for Castro....you do know about the Revolution of 1959 right? That's how he came to power. No voting of any kind. You should checks your historical data before posting. Bless your heart.
Ooooh....sorry I'm not so "up" on Cuban history then.....because last time I checked, Cuba is just another insignificant Caribbean island.

Anyway, it seems that Castro came to power as a result of the Cuban revolution...I'll give you that. Did Castro not have the popular support when he overthrew Batista then?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Latin America is HEAVILY fractured among class lines. Therefore it's hard to talk about a majority when there is such a sharp division.

In Cuba the peasantry (the majority) overwhelmingly supported Castro. The middle and upper classes didn't like his policies, so many of them fled Cuba and went to Florida.

Quote:
Ooooh....sorry I'm not so "up" on Cuban history then.....because last time I checked, Cuba is just another insignificant Caribbean island.

Anyway, it seems that Castro came to power as a result of the Cuban revolution...I'll give you that. Did Castro not have the popular support when he overthrew Batista then?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,723,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Latin America is HEAVILY fractured among class lines. Therefore it's hard to talk about a majority when there is such a sharp division.

In Cuba the peasantry (the majority) overwhelmingly supported Castro. The middle and upper classes didn't like his policies, so many of them fled Cuba and went to Florida.
I think that's a big problem, when it comes to change in Cuba. How can Cuba change when the people who want change just leave, leaving those who either don't want change, or are simply so immersed and "institutionalized" by the Communist way of life that they don't know any other way of living.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I think that's a big problem, when it comes to change in Cuba. How can Cuba change when the people who want change just leave, leaving those who either don't want change, or are simply so immersed and "institutionalized" by the Communist way of life that they don't know any other way of living.
The Cuban Communist system is essentially bankrupt as an ideology. When the Soviets stopped supporting Cuba (as the Soviet Union broke up), Cuba found itself in hard times. Now Castro and Co. have to rely on the tourism industry.

I think Cuba may get some Dengism, especially if the Castro brothers go.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,681 times
Quote:

He had the support of the poor. Just like Chavez, Morales and Lula. That's why the upper class left to Miami and Spain after 1959.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration