U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

Two Groups Step Foot On Key Biscayne

POSTED: 11:04 pm EDT August 25, 2008
UPDATED: 10:36 am EDT August 26, 2008

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Two separate groups of Cuban migrants are in the custody of Customs & Border Patrol after coming ashore along Key Biscayne Monday night.

The first group of 33 migrants, including 10 women and five children, were picked up on Soldier Key and transported to No Name Harbor.

The second group of migrants, numbering more than 30, walked ashore shortly after the first group was discovered.

According to one of the migrants who spoke with Local 10 News, the groups left Cuba last Wednesday.

"It's been a very long journey. We're all tired. We even have little kids," the man said. "We've been through thirst, hunger. We had to walk a lot -- there in Cuba, here in America too."

Since they reached land, they will most likely be allowed to stay in the U.S. because of the "wet foot, dry foot" immigration policy.

Cuban Migrants Come Ashore - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/news/17294976/detail.html - broken link)

Another form of American destruction that needs to be abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Another form of American destruction that needs to be abolished.
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps our government will change the policy after 90% of Cuba has made the U.S. their home.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,669 times
Benicar,
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps our government will change the policy after 90% of Cuba has made the U.S. their home.

are we can just wait for them all to move here-then we can go take over cuba in make it our home

Old 08-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sadly, it's definitely starting to look that way.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Benicar,

are we can just wait for them all to move here-then we can go take over cuba in make it our home
Agreed. I'm about ready to bail.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 64,212 times
I have two questions regarding this. I live in Montreal, Canada and
am canadian, 100% canadian. The family living here before I moved in
are cubans. The husband and wife lived in Canada for 10 years and are
canadian citizes. The kids were born here. They decided they were fed
up with winter (and I don't blame them) so they rented a truck and
filled it with furnitures and other things. They then crossed into
the US using their canadian passports. Once in Miami, they claimed
refuge status and got it right away. Does the US government allows
this. Would it be illogic if they turn cubans on rafts back to Cuba
to face harsh jail sentences but accept cubans like the example above
leaving a cozy life in another country. I know, illogic and
government go well together.

Second question, more personal. I got married to a cuban woman. She
left cuba with an exit visa from her country (very legal) with a
permanent residency visa from my canadian government. Three months
after arriving here, she disappear from my life, to reappear in Miami
a few days later, leaving me completely crushed and in debt. Would
this be consider legal by the US government? If not, how can we
report her. All I have is an 1 800 number that is useless from Canada.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,722,866 times
Why do we need to have this ridiculous "wet foot, dry foot" law in place?

We can't be allowing unvetted, undocumented immigrants to wash ashore, thereby giving them a free pass into the United States.

The older generation (the first generation) of Cubans aren't so bad, but the more recent waves of immigrants have proven to be a disaster for South Florida. As a result, we have the most corrupt politicians, Medicare fraud (committed by Cubans who run off back to Cuba with our tax money), horribly reckless drivers and so many people who simply refuse to speak English.

The policy is also unfair, because we repatriate Haitians without any problem, yet Haiti is far more screwed up, dangerous and far poorer than Cuba.

End this stupid policy....enough is enough. We're letting some very bad people into this country (just spend some time in Miami if you don't believe me, and by that I mean Miami, not Miami Beach).

Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 PM

18 posts, read 62,502 times
I'm sure some of you people had relatives that migrated to this country for a better life. This country is made up of many nationalities. My husband is an American , Italian & German descent. I'm a Cuban American & proud of who i am. We're not all bad people, we have good & bad like any country. I live in New York & all Russians , chinese & many others are moving here, there's nothing we can do. This is USA so stop the b... sh.. We have more problems to worry about. Have a nice day!!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM

472 posts, read 627,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana123 View Post
I'm sure some of you people had relatives that migrated to this country for a better life. This country is made up of many nationalities. My husband is an American , Italian & German descent. I'm a Cuban American & proud of who i am. We're not all bad people, we have good & bad like any country. I live in New York & all Russians , chinese & many others are moving here, there's nothing we can do. This is USA so stop the b... sh.. We have more problems to worry about. Have a nice day!!!!!
Your husband is an AMERICAN of Italian & German descent.
You, on the other hand, are a CUBAN living in America.
There is a BIG difference.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM

18 posts, read 62,502 times
Yes i'm cuban living in America, so what's your point, does that not make me a good person.I'm a legal citizen for 50 yrs. The cubans coming in could be bad & good, but i don't think as bad as the terrorists living here, those are the one's we should worry about & they're still here. Yes my husband is an American, but his German & Italian descendants came here as i did & so did yours & many others as i was told when i became a citizen. These people are trying to make a better life in this beautiful country who opens the doors to everyone. God Bless America. And by the way many cubans are too proud to even go on welfare & many are very well educated. Have a nice day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration