Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Im not saying open the borders, or let them all be illegal, but why be so angry and hateful towards an entire group of people?
Especially when youre life isnt all that bad at all.
"because theyre breaking the law!"
Stop fretting over it. you'll live longer.
People shouldn't be walking around in agony over hearing spanish, or seeing brown people on street corners trying to get work.
If they have a cause, go against the people doing real crimes that really hurt people. Legal AND illegal.
Hispanics declared war . . they made threats. People in this country started listening to them.

You have yet to see angry in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Im not religious by any means, but in the end, what does all of this matter?
I don't think the pope is backing illegal immigrants, but just people doing there thing.
As long as we have food, a roof over our heads, and our family, everything else is just extra.

Thats why I feel the way I do about this debate. Its not because I "share ethnicity" with the people everyone is against. Not because I'm "secretly an illegal" or have some kind of motives.

I just know that our lives aren't really horrible right now, so we don't have any reason to be as angry as some of the people on this board are.

Im not saying open the borders, or let them all be illegal, but why be so angry and hateful towards an entire group of people?
Especially when youre life isnt all that bad at all.
"because theyre breaking the law!"
Stop fretting over it. you'll live longer.
People shouldn't be walking around in agony over hearing spanish, or seeing brown people on street corners trying to get work.
If they have a cause, go against the people doing real crimes that really hurt people. Legal AND illegal.
Yeah, our lives aren't so bad now....now being the operative word. If the cycle of illegal immigration and amnesty continues, just what will this country be like for my children and future grandchildren? What kinds of job opportunities will be available to them if they don't go to college? If they prefer to work with their hands? Even college isn't a guarantee, I view outsourcing as a bastardized offshoot of illegal immigration.
So, no....it isn't about 'I don't want anymore brown people' it is about the future and the direction this country is heading.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Yup, I'm sure the Bible says something about,
"Thou, as American, shalt be entitled to 2 story dwelling, 3 cars, and clean grass. And thou shalt only heareth English, and not the fork tongue of Spanish. Thou shall not help thy neighbor with medical help from thy taxes, for that is against the law in the future! "
Pedro 14:6
"And lo, thou shalt live in the arms of thy brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and a couple of crazy guys from Nicarauga. Thou shall turn thine ear from sounds of english, and instead keep thine ear pure with the sounds of telemundo. Thou shall taketh from the community till, until hospitals close and schools become overcrowded. Thy shall work for pennies --- but don't forget to tithe!"

Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,712 times
Quote:
Im not religious by any means, but in the end, what does all of this matter?
I don't think the pope is backing illegal immigrants . .
"Of the nation’s 65 million Roman Catholics, 18 million are Latino, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, and they account for more than two-thirds of the new Catholics in the country since 1960. "
-- New York Times

"The pope on Wednesday called for welcoming immigrants to the United States and even issued a statement in Spanish telling the Latino community he would urge President Bush to grant legal status to illegal immigrants living in the states."
-- Washington Post

"It's all about money, boys! Atsy answer! Dough re mi!"
-- O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Sums up the accusation people have been making : the motivation of the Catholic Church acting as a safe harbor for illegal aliens isn't based on altruism or a matter of conscious, as purported, but is completely political, a means to an end to generate funds for their coffers.
Somebody's got to replenish their supply of victims and their coffers. Who better than those in the country illegally, who breed like animals in the wild and who won't talk because of fear of deportation.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:14 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
"And lo, thou shalt live in the arms of thy brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and a couple of crazy guys from Nicarauga. Thou shall turn thine ear from sounds of english, and instead keep thine ear pure with the sounds of telemundo. Thou shall taketh from the community till, until hospitals close and schools become overcrowded. Thy shall work for pennies --- but don't forget to tithe!"
Rep points coming your way. Hilarious read!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Priceless! I just gave you a rep a few minutes ago, so I must spread the love.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
By engaging in misguided mercies -- at the expense of justice to innocent third parties -- I was proving my qualifications to serve as a U.S. bishop. I was acting just like those prelates who hide illegal aliens in "sanctuary" churches, and help their children (who, if they are born on U.S. soil, through a sick quirk of American law, are citizens) collect public benefits paid for by the hard-working taxpayer. When bishops lobby for illegal aliens to attend public schools (with cripplingly expensive bilingual programs) and get free medical care, the cost of these goodies doesn't come out of their diocesan budget. I don't think our good bishops miss any golf games because they're spending the money reimbursing native-born, blue-collar Americans, many of whom can't afford medical insurance themselves.

If we let our sacramental sympathy to the fellow Catholic who might sneak across the border overwhelm our duties to the community where we live -- the United States -- we are not serving a "higher loyalty." We are committing a kind of treason. Likewise, when we snicker -- as so many Catholics quietly do -- that "America is just a Protestant country anyway . . . but we'll soon take care of that." I know many Catholics who privately grumble that neoconservatives have hijacked our foreign policy to further the interests of the state of Israel. The same people will turn right around and try to set our immigration policy according to the needs of Catholic parishes: We need more seminarians. We need more faces to fill up our emptying churches -- and to help our sleeping shepherds dodge the question of how they lost the flock in the first place.

One out of three Catholics who grows up in America leaves the Church. The only thing that has kept our share of the population from shrinking is mass immigration of uneducated poor people. Their arrival bucks up the numbers, gratifies a deeply dysfunctional bureaucracy, and fills the empty pews . . . for one generation. This influx of "fresh souls" from poor countries lets us pretend that our Church is successfully passing along the Faith, is reverently offering the sacraments, and generally chugging along as it always did. In fact, by losing one Catholic out of three, American Catholicism is collapsing almost as quickly as English Catholicism did under Elizabeth I. Except that we aren't even being persecuted -- and our Spanish Armada didn't sink. It crosses the Rio Grande, in small contingents, to the tune of around 1 million people per year. “Subsidizing” the U.S. Church with a constant influx of fresh Catholics to alienate and scandalize is no more prudent than paying General Motors to go right on building Humvees for the suburbs.

Readers have left 57 comments.
InsideCatholic.com - Render Unto Caesar: The Church and Immigration (http://tinyurl.com/6hjlpm - broken link)

A little long but an excellent read.
Whew, that gave me the goosebumps.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
I'm a Catholic. I 'joined' the church when I was 8 days old. It's arguably the oldest institution on earth...as well as one of the largest. It's been around since the 'average person' could neither read, nor write...and few people had traveled 50 miles from the place they were born. The Church has traditions and practices that LITERALLY predate most of 'Western civilization'.

Today, The Church is about 20% 'doctrine', and 80% 'modern politics'. In many ways, it's just one more HUGE organization..transcending national boundaries, race, etc. It has MANY things to 'say' on MANY subjects....adultery, graft, corruption, lying, greed, cruelty, violence, etc etc etc. It ALSO has a position on 'taking in the stranger' and 'looking out for the poor'. Illegal aliens are certainly 'strangers', and most are relatively poor.

The Church's position on illegals, AT THE MOMENT, is very much 'in the news'. Meanwhile, its position on other things is NOT.

Don't want to sound 'cynical', but illegals just now are a 'newsworthy' issue. And the Church is a 'big target', and what it says is 'news'.

Ten years from now, some OTHER issue may be in vogue. Just now, it's illegals.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Hispanics declared war . . they made threats. People in this country started listening to them.

You have yet to see angry in this country.
Hispanics? You mean illegal immigrants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration