U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,095,999 times

Advertisements

All eyes may be on Denver this week, but the Republican National Committee began their meetings to draft an election platform today ahead of next week’s convention. Sparks flew when delegates got into debate over illegal immigration, which reflected where John McCain originally stood on the issue, but has now taken a more conservative stance.

Delegates were split into different subcommittees and it was in the national security meeting where members got into heated discussion surrounding the issues of amnesty and English as the official language of the United States.

Two delegates wanted to harden the language surrounding the issue of amnesty. The draft read, “We oppose amnesty.” But, delegates from North Carolina and Colorado wanted to include opposition to “comprehensive immigration reform” because they believe it is a code word for amnesty. This sparked a heated discussion between members with a delegate from Washington DC who said that the Republican Party is a “not a xenophobic party, not an intolerant party. We are a compassionate party that follows the rule of law and endorses federal law,” said Bud McFarlane. Kendal Unruh from Colorado, who wanted to include “opposition to comprehensive immigration reform” to the draft, seemed to take offense to that statement citing her missionary work and saying that she would “never have the label” of xenophobic “slapped on me.” She continued to press that the committee add the tougher language to stop “behind the door tactics” to prevent “amnesty” of illegal aliens.

The RNC Meets to Draft Their Platform: Sparks Fly on the Issue of Illegal Immigration « FOX Embeds « FOXNews.com

I will vote for the candidate who is against any form of amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,429,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
All eyes may be on Denver this week, but the Republican National Committee began their meetings to draft an election platform today ahead of next week’s convention. Sparks flew when delegates got into debate over illegal immigration, which reflected where John McCain originally stood on the issue, but has now taken a more conservative stance.

Delegates were split into different subcommittees and it was in the national security meeting where members got into heated discussion surrounding the issues of amnesty and English as the official language of the United States.

Two delegates wanted to harden the language surrounding the issue of amnesty. The draft read, “We oppose amnesty.” But, delegates from North Carolina and Colorado wanted to include opposition to “comprehensive immigration reform” because they believe it is a code word for amnesty. This sparked a heated discussion between members with a delegate from Washington DC who said that the Republican Party is a “not a xenophobic party, not an intolerant party. We are a compassionate party that follows the rule of law and endorses federal law,” said Bud McFarlane. Kendal Unruh from Colorado, who wanted to include “opposition to comprehensive immigration reform” to the draft, seemed to take offense to that statement citing her missionary work and saying that she would “never have the label” of xenophobic “slapped on me.” She continued to press that the committee add the tougher language to stop “behind the door tactics” to prevent “amnesty” of illegal aliens.

The RNC Meets to Draft Their Platform: Sparks Fly on the Issue of Illegal Immigration « FOX Embeds « FOXNews.com

I will vote for the candidate who is against any form of amnesty.
McShame has gotten more conservative in his stance on illegal immigration because he has finally seen that no matter how much he hispanders he is never going to be able to out hispander bobama and the Democrats nor get any more than 1 in 3 hispanics to vote for him. I also believe that there are actually a lot of hispanics that do want more enforcement of existing immigration laws. Maybe McShame's new platform should call for Comprhensive Immigration ENFORCEMENT, not Comprehensive Immigration Reform. I believe that, then, McShame would pick up enough disgruntled moderate non-hispanic Democratic voters who are against amnesty to more than make up for all of those hispanic voters who are voting Democratic.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,330,992 times
The real power will be in our congressional races for the house and senate. We both know how Obama and McCain stand-no matter how both of them will try to "pretty it up" between now and election day.

We need to elect senators and congressmen and congresswomen who will not only vote against any type of amnesty but also get enough who will allow common sense bills like Heath Shuler's Save Act to be voted on. Right now Pelosi won't allow it to be voted on because she knows it will pass-it has bipartisian support. So much for the will of the American people being heard. We need to vote in reps who will listen to the American people that we need the border sealed and immigration laws enforced and that lawbreakers will not be rewarded. I am currently working on a campaign for my congressional district for a very strong candidate who is against amnesty and for enfocring all immigration laws. He was my congressman in 2002 and 2004. Unfortunately he was voted out in favor of a vile woman in 2006 who cares more about illegals than American. I have received over 50 response letters from her and every single one is identical-regardless of what issue it has to do. I receive the same identical-not one word different-regardless of the issue-Save Act, Dream Act, Secure border, visas, etc. Every single letter talks about treating illegals humanely and fairly and "bringing them out of the shadows" These are the people we need to send packing in November! How about treating Americans "fair and humanely"? What about legal immigrants that do it the right way?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
I hope our NC reps hang in there and have the gumption to stand up to the PC demands. Here in NC, we are fed up w/ the illegals who have flooded our state. It is not just a matter of employment - it's the drunk driving - killing people on our highways . . .and the criminal element. Despite the propaganda, not every illegal is here for a job. Some are criminals and/or psychopaths. We are sick of it here in NC. McCain better get a clear message on this issue. Amnesty? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration