U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,271 times
Reputation: 343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If the only criteria is how much one must pay for goods, then I suppose you have an argument. My contention is . . . businesses develop plans that include overhead and cost . . . and if they cannot develop a plan that is profitable, then they won't be in business.

I am fully aware of such things as land cost, labor cost, etc. I have run several businesses and indeed, have my own business now.

I am not in another galaxy. If it costs more to do business in another location, oh well. It just costs more. If that means meat cost more at the grocery store . . . oh well. I guess we will all eat less meat.
---------
"I guess we will all eat less meat"

You just made my point .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
 
307 posts, read 458,295 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Of course we both know that will never happen. We've had another onslaught of IA trolls lately. They come in shifts. One punches out and two punch in to replace them. Like the population of illegal counterparts, their tide ebbs and flows.
Well from what I have heard the two who punch in are Illegal Immigrants and are displacing the one American IA supporter who leaves. They're willing to make twice as many posts as any legal American can and for half the money

As evidence I don't see Mach 50 around much anymore (and I honestly hope everything is OK on his end.). I think they stole his Pro Illegal Immigrant Support Job.

I hear rumors that soon they will send the IA support jobs over seas to India in the same call center as Microsoft Support.

Soon you will be reading....

"Sorry J Dud Man, but your post I disagree with. Immigrants are simply upgrading America. Please stop posting bad articles of us or I will up send your post to my supervisor for further assistance!"

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,276,463 times
Reputation: 22274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
------------

But your talking about several million's of dollars or ten's of million's as far as live stock-Agriculture type business moving closer to population.

Some just can't afford it again zoning law will not allow it.

Talipia farming is another growing industry in Florida but again far from population or not possible to do it.

It's not realistic to expect them to locate near population. Your business I suspect isn't live stock-farming nor raising Talipia lol.

Your not being realistic when it comes to this and those that agree with you aren't either.
I understand your point, Luiso. Truly. But you can't tell me that just b/c an industry is located in . . . say . . . El Paso, it cannot relocate to San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,276,463 times
Reputation: 22274
And as far as Tilapia (i think that is what you mean - Tilapia as in fish, right?) I get your point on that, too, but we have done w/o Tilapia for centuries and we dont' have to have Tilapia. Most of what I see is imported from Thailand or China. It is kind of like catfish. If someone sells it, someone will buy it, but honestly, would the food chain be destroyed if we never had catfish again? Don't think so. Same for Tilapia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Not the case at all. The issues is that the illegals do the same job for less...
Wow! First it was “we only do the jobs Americans won’t do.” Now it’s “we work for less.” In other words, they can no longer claim they don’t steal jobs from Americans, because that has been unequivocally refuted with, dare I say….....the truth. Now, they can only state they work for less. Well thank you for your sagacious enlightenment. I don’t think any of us realized illegal aliens will work for less. I guess that makes it ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
 
307 posts, read 458,295 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
---------------

Some businesses due to zoning laws like live stock-farming.etc have to be "out of the way" and nothing in the area but open land.

You can not re-locate some if not many of them.
Your claim that zoning doesn’t allow it doesn’t cut it.

3 major processors include TYSON foods have meat processing plants IN Amarillo, Texas. Never mind those in the near by areas.

Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc (Iowa Beef Processors) - Amarillo, Texas (TX) | Company Profile

Likewise, If you wish to try to continue to say zoning won't allow it (and please provide REAL proof of this) then there are LARGE areas of open land all around Amarillo that they could have built their plant on.

The Article itself states the real reason they built there. Not for Zoning, but for the Low Wage workers including Illegals.

Quote from the top of the article “This story occurred because Swift like other meat processors located large plants in rural towns to lower wage scales – and to draw in immigrant labor, legal or illegal.”

Yes if you build your plant FAR away from where American workers are in abundance, in order to get Illegal Immigrants, You can’t legitimately claim “Look Americans won’t work at my Job! This proves it”


That makes about as much sense as claiming that American don’t want the jobs they shipped to India, because there are no Americans lining up for those jobs in India!

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,271 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And as far as Tilapia (i think that is what you mean - Tilapia as in fish, right?) I get your point on that, too, but we have done w/o Tilapia for centuries and we dont' have to have Tilapia. Most of what I see is imported from Thailand or China. It is kind of like catfish. If someone sells it, someone will buy it, but honestly, would the food chain be destroyed if we never had catfish again? Don't think so. Same for Tilapia.

lol that's it Tilapia . Point is zoning law and price of land prohibit's fish farming- live stock ,etc neat town's .

In many cases near population's thus farmer's must go "far out" .

Tilapia is very good by the way. I buy a big box of fillets for $20 from place up N.Florida .

If he raised them near populated Florida it would cost much more and not good business for him.

That's the point it's just not realistic to expect certain business to be near populated area's .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Well from what I have heard the two who punch in are Illegal Immigrants and are displacing the one American IA supporter who leaves. They're willing to make twice as many posts as any legal American can and for half the money

As evidence I don't see Mach 50 around much anymore (and I honestly hope everything is OK on his end.). I think they stole his Pro Illegal Immigrant Support Job.

I hear rumors that soon they will send the IA support jobs over seas to India in the same call center as Microsoft Support.

Soon you will be reading....

"Sorry J Dud Man, but your post I disagree with. Immigrants are simply upgrading America. Please stop posting bad articles of us or I will up send your post to my supervisor for further assistance!"

Random
Random not only are you probably correct, you also rock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,694,271 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Your claim that zoning doesn’t allow it doesn’t cut it.

3 major processors include TYSON foods have meat processing plants IN Amarillo, Texas. Never mind those in the near by areas.

Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc (Iowa Beef Processors) - Amarillo, Texas (TX) | Company Profile

Likewise, If you wish to try to continue to say zoning won't allow it (and please provide REAL proof of this) then there are LARGE areas of open land all around Amarillo that they could have built their plant on.

The Article itself states the real reason they built there. Not for Zoning, but for the Low Wage workers including Illegals.

Quote from the top of the article “This story occurred because Swift like other meat processors located large plants in rural towns to lower wage scales – and to draw in immigrant labor, legal or illegal.”

Yes if you build your plant FAR away from where American workers are in abundance, in order to get Illegal Immigrants, You can’t legitimately claim “Look Americans won’t work at my Job! This proves it”


That makes about as much sense as claiming that American don’t want the jobs they shipped to India, because there are no Americans lining up for those jobs in India!

Random
---------
okay and the land-permits-taxes,etc are as cheap ? I doubt it.

Might be in Texas which I know nothing about but it certainly is NOT in Florida which I do know.


You better be in business to lose money if you want fruit farm's , live stock unless it's out in middle of nowhere Florida .

Again I doubt land-permits-taxes,etc are as cheap in Amarillo but you now want to also dictate where business owner's can set up shop.

They should check with you first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
 
307 posts, read 458,295 times
Reputation: 111
Try READING the Article. It says


“This story occurred because Swift like other meat processors located large plants in rural towns to lower wage scales – and to draw in immigrant labor, legal or illegal.”


It does not say Taxes or Zoning were the reason!

Tyson MEAT PROCESSING with over 2,000 employees is IN Amarillo. They pay taxes and somehow they are able to supply lots of meat at a reasonable price. That shows what you are claiming is incorrect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
---------
okay and the land-permits-taxes,etc are as cheap ? I doubt it.

Might be in Texas which I know nothing about but it certainly is NOT in Florida which I do know.


You better be in business to lose money if you want fruit farm's , live stock unless it's out in middle of nowhere Florida .

Again I doubt land-permits-taxes,etc are as cheap in Amarillo but you now want to also dictate where business owner's can set up shop.

They should check with you first?
Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top