Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
There are no savings passed along to the consumer when a company hires illegal aliens--thus there is wiggle room in the profit margin to hire American workers.
ITA. Rep points headed your way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Any business that cannot survive using American workers has an obviously skewered business model and operations plan.

If you locate your business out in the middle of BFE, then how can you expect to hire local workers? Texas is a big state. Meat processors could choose to set up their operations in more highly populated areas. They chose to do business close to the border expressly so they COULD recruit illegal workers.

I have no sympathy at all. Re-locate the business or shut it down.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-27-2008 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Any business that cannot survive using American workers has an obvious skewered business model and operations plan.

If you locate your business out in the middle of BFE, then how can you expect to hire local workers? Texas is a big state. Meat processors could choose to set up their operations in more highly populated areas. They chose to do business close to the border expressly so they COULD recruit illegal workers.

Quoted for truth.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,769 times
Quote:
Any business that cannot survive using American workers has an obvious skewered business model and operations plan.

I agree

Nicolem

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,676 times
Quote:

---------------

Some businesses due to zoning laws like live stock-farming.etc have to be "out of the way" and nothing in the area but open land.

You can not re-locate some if not many of them.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
---------------

Some businesses due to zoning laws like live stock-farming.etc have to be "out of the way" and nothing in the area but open land.

Then perhaps they need to pay a more livable wage-better benefits etc. Let real capitalism work and have them compete for American workers by offering better pay and incentives.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
---------------

I am sorry. You can relocate them. You can do whatever you have to do. We have hog farmers here. Yes, you can't have a hog farm here in the Charlotte city limits, but you can have one down the road, LOL.

Not my problem that meat packers decided to set up plants in TX at the border.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I am sorry. You can relocate them. You can do whatever you have to do. We have hog farmers here. Yes, you can't have a hog farm here in the Charlotte city limits, but you can have one down the road, LOL.

Not my problem that meat packers decided to set up plants in TX at the border.
" You can do whatever you have to do"

Your not living in the real business world. The land is cheaper as are taxes further you are from the city limits .

This is why they did it they can't relocate . I am anti illegal immigration but some of the thing's said here are in another galaxy.

Expecting busniess to relocate to land which is going to cost them way more and again zoning law might prohibit is one of them.

That is not the real business world . Here in Florida citrus farm's are mostly up in N.Florida as land way cheaper than South Florida less taxes to.

Out in middle of nowhere . They should relocate them to S.Florida so now we pay $10 per half gal of OJ?

Because it's sure going to cost them to do it . That's your "reasoning".

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
" You can do whatever you have to do"

Your not living in the real business world. The land is cheaper as are taxes further you are from the city limits .

This is why they did it they can't relocate . I am anti illegal immigration but some of the thing's said here are in another galaxy.

Expecting busniess to relocate to land which is going to cost them way more and again zoning law might prohibit is one of them.

That is not the real business world . Here in Florida citrus farm's are mostly up in N.Florida as land way cheaper than South Florida less taxes to.

Out in middle of nowhere . They should relocate them to S.Florida so now we pay $10 per half gal of OJ?

That's your "reasoning".
If the only criteria is how much one must pay for goods, then I suppose you have an argument. My contention is . . . businesses develop plans that include overhead and cost . . . and if they cannot develop a plan that is profitable, then they won't be in business.

I am fully aware of such things as land cost, labor cost, etc. I have run several businesses and indeed, have my own business now.

I am not in another galaxy. If it costs more to do business in another location, oh well. It just costs more. If that means meat cost more at the grocery store . . . oh well. I guess we will all eat less meat.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
If the only criteria is how much one must pay for goods, then I suppose you have an argument. My contention is . . . businesses develop plans that include overhead and cost . . . and if they cannot develop a plan that is profitable, then they won't be in business.

I am fully aware of such things as land cost, labor cost, etc. I have run several businesses and indeed, have my own business now.

I am not in another galaxy. If it costs more to do business in another location, oh well. It just costs more. If that means meat cost more at the grocery store . . . oh well. I guess we will all eat less meat.
------------

But your talking about several million's of dollars or ten's of million's as far as live stock-Agriculture type business moving closer to population.

Some just can't afford it again zoning law will not allow it.

Talipia farming is another growing industry in Florida but again far from population or not possible to do it.

It's not realistic to expect them to locate near population. Your business I suspect isn't live stock-farming nor raising Talipia lol.

Your not being realistic when it comes to this and those that agree with you aren't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration