U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

This can’t be true! Just the other day, pro-illegals on this board vociferously argued that illegal aliens from Mexico come here to become productive members of this society. They are here because they “intend” to become Americans. Therefore, their anchors “deserve” to be U.S. citizens. Hmm……I guess some have other “intentions.”

Quote:
Corn farmer Marcelo Perez thought his four sons had struck the jackpot a few years ago when they got jobs picking tobacco in Georgia and hauling breeze blocks in Florida. As each sent home up to $1,000 every month, the family began building a row of two-story brick houses on Perez's ancestral corn plots, spreading the wealth by using cheap labor and materials from their Hnahnu Indian village. Now, thought Perez, they could live like the other migrants, whose gated mansions towered above the corrugated-iron roofed shack in which he had raised his boys. But last year, the dream died, and the houses were left unfinished, with ragged piles of stones and bags of cement rotting under the hot Mexican sun. The flow of remittances from across the border had dried up amid the U.S. economic slowdown and a crackdown on illegal immigrants.

"They want to send money back but they just can't," says Perez. "There are no jobs, and when they do find vacancies, they get asked for papers. They are just scraping by with the odd day's work. They even asked about coming home. But I told them with all the deportees fighting for jobs here, there is nothing for them."
Mexican Towns Hit Hard by US Downturn -- Printout -- TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
The above article is proof positive that life is becoming hell for those illegal immigrant lawbreakers between stepped up law enforcement and hardening attitudes here in the USA

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The above article is proof positive that life is becoming hell for those illegal immigrant lawbreakers between stepped up law enforcement and hardening attitudes here in the USA
Well, seeing as how we have 20 M of them here, I dont think they have all gotten the memo yet. I sure see them all over this area where I live (Charlotte, NC). And this past weekend, I was in the western part of the state and to my utter dismay, there were day-workers standing around at a gas station - and one of the landscaping companies came by and maybe five or six jumped on the truck. I was so surprised to see this. So there are plenty of them here - it would take a lot of illegals crossing back into Mexico to make a dent in 20 Million people.

I hope you are right . . .but just doesn't look like that is what happening in my area of the country.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, seeing as how we have 20 M of them here, I dont think they have all gotten the memo yet. I sure see them all over this area where I live (Charlotte, NC). And this past weekend, I was in the western part of the state and to my utter dismay, there were day-workers standing around at a gas station - and one of the landscaping companies came by and maybe five or six jumped on the truck. I was so surprised to see this. So there are plenty of them here - it would take a lot of illegals crossing back into Mexico to make a dent in 20 Million people.

I hope you are right . . .but just doesn't look like that is what happening in my area of the country.
To be honest: I doubt we have 20 million actual illegals here; going by anecdotal (sp) evidence, we probably have closer to 7-10 million illegals here........factoring in their Anchor Babies (technically US citizens)-------that may add up to 20-30 million folks of questionable (at best) legality.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM

AzBear - you may be right, but according to Pew, it would be closer to 12 M and that estimate may be low. I admit - I have done my own projections based on assumption that over 1 M illegals have come here annually since 2001. I really do think we have more than 12 M, but like everyone else . . . the best demographic data is still not good on this subject. We just don't know. But even 7 M is 7 M too many.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,974,958 times
Good, I hope this is true all across america, however, just from what I am still seeing on a day to day basis, enough is still not being done.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Good, I hope this is true all across america, however, just from what I am still seeing on a day to day basis, enough is still not being done.
Agreed.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I was shocked at how many are in Charlotte....I really feel for you

Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM

11,215 posts, read 7,605,444 times
That's what happens when you try to bite the hand that "feeds" you

Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I was shocked at how many are in Charlotte....I really feel for you
What is so upsetting - a lot of these people are very young and they really mean no harm. But they get here and then are taken advantage of - working iike slaves - and they have no rights - employers take advantage of them - pay them squat - work them long hours. So I am furious w/ the employers who are paying low wages to illegals rather than doing the legal stuff - paying workman's comp and benefits and a living wage - so they can line their own pockets w/ more profits. Plus, this puts other hard-working Americans out of work b/c the employers only hire people who will work for chicken feed.

I arranged to have new gutters installed. Talked to the owner, the sales manager and the crew manager and told them ALL - I don't want your crew here unless they all SPEAK ENGLISH and are EXPERIENCED. They all said - yes yes - sure - we have experienced people. I had them put it in WRITING that their crew was covered by workman's comp.

They show up and wouldn't you know. The guy who SAID he was the crew chief - no where in sight. The crew chief and every last guy was obviously foreign - maybe Mexican, maybe from Guatemala - not a one spoke English - I asked to see green cards, driver's licenses, anything - no one had a thing to show. I sent them off. I AM SICK OF THIS!!!!

You can't hire someone to work on your roof, your gutters, your landscaping - w/o getting illegals!!!! They cannot communicate!!! I speak mediocre Spanish - but that is not the point!!! I do not want anyone on my property who does not have workman's comp!! IS THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND??????

So that is what has me upset. The public is getting ripped off b/c employers are LYING and also - they are greedy and don't care about quality or about treating workers like human beings.

If these shysters were not HIRING illegals - they would go home!!! It is a crazy mess. Very very upsetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration