U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times

Advertisements

PHOENIX (Reuters) - The Mexican driver of a vehicle that flipped on an Arizona highway, killing nine illegal immigrants, has been charged by a federal grand jury and could face the death penalty if convicted, authorities said on Wednesday.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Phoenix said Brian Guzman-Ochoa faced six charges stemming from the crash on August 7, in which a sport utility vehicle crammed with 19 illegal immigrants ran off a highway southeast of Phoenix, killing nine people and injuring 10 others.

The charges include transportation of illegal aliens resulting in death, bringing in illegal aliens and reentry after deportation, the office said in a news release.

If convicted of the most serious charge, Guzman-Ochoa faces a maximum penalty of life in prison or the death penalty, and a possible $250,000 fine.

Arizona straddles the busiest human and drug smuggling corridor into the United States from Mexico.

Two years ago, 10 people were killed when an SUV packed with illegal immigrants overturned on a desert road near Yuma in western Arizona.
Man charged in Ariz. crash that killed 9 migrants | U.S. | Reuters

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 853,463 times
Hammer time..? -.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM

630 posts, read 977,267 times
wow.... they are self elimininating!

I can understand life in prison, but the death penalty, sounds a little harsh for a guy they don't even know intentionally tried to kill the illegal immigrants. sounds like it was a crash accident.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post

I can understand life in prison, but the death penalty, sounds a little harsh for a guy they don't even know intentionally tried to kill the illegal immigrants. sounds like it was a crash accident.
Precedent was set many years ago if a kidnap victim died while being held captive----------that is a death penalty offence as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post

Nineteen Illegals plus related stuff in one SUV which is designed to carry 6 or 8 max sure sounds intentional to me.

Combined with the assortment of other charges . . . HE DESERVES DEATH.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,975,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Nineteen Illegals plus related stuff in one SUV which is designed to carry 6 or 8 max sure sounds intentional to me.

Combined with the assortment of other charges . . . HE DESERVES DEATH.
Agreed, im tired of this kinda crap going on. Time to make a lesson out of him.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 PM

630 posts, read 977,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Precedent was set many years ago if a kidnap victim died while being held captive----------that is a death penalty offence as well.
but they weren't in captivity, they were simply riding a bus to the "free land", right? no one was forcing anybody to be packed into the suv. I mean really , they were not captivity victoms; they are intruders. I can garuntee you they were not forced to get into that suv, they chose to and thats the difference.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,222,460 times
I am surprised any of you are applauding the death penalty for this man! After reading these posts I thought maybe you could throw a party for him...after all, he did kill 9 illegal immigrants that none of you will have to go after or talk about going after.

Maybe a thank you note would be enough.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am surprised any of you are applauding the death penalty for this man! After reading these posts I thought maybe you could throw a party for him...after all, he did kill 9 illegal immigrants that none of you will have to go after or talk about going after.

Maybe a thank you note would be enough.
Fry him!!! One less coyote!!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,222,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Fry him!!! One less coyote!!
I guess you missed the sarcastic tone of my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration