Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

why the name calling?
I imagine it stems from the incessant carping from certain posters who refuse to see any link between illegal aliens and the recurrence of previously eradicated diseases in the US.

While the jury is still out as to the immigration status of the SF hospital employee, it's not a far stretch to assume she was/is an illegal alien, based on the fact that TB is making a comeback in the States, being carried here by unscreened illegal aliens.

Also, liberal rags like the SF Chronicle seldom if ever divulge the immigration status their story's subjects, it tends to **** off the natives when they do. Can't have the local paper indicting the sanctuary policies of the local government, now can we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oh the irony....
two completely different threads with different interactions!!!

why do people drag other threads into discussions that have nothing to do with anything relevant.

i dont use such vulgarities or personally attack people like this person did. i'd rather keep the level of discussion civil.

as for the post about what i wrote to you. you said that you cant take me seriously based on my punctuation and the way i write. or god knows what else. i pointed out a contradiction in your reasoning. some one attacks my writing style while using a non conventional writing style themselves. easy point for me. that was in the past.

i got over it. can you?

but that still has nothing to do with this thread.

god this feels like high school.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
now thats not very nice.

i cant take you seriously. beni i can. there was no emotional response. you on the other hand make it personal. not very mature. attack my ideas and thoughts. not me. if you provide evidence of a claim i can accept that. beni did. i accept that. personal attacks from overly emotional posters... unacceptable.

why the name calling?
Quote:
so the peasants have created epidemics in the US? which ones specifically?
This one.

I provided evidence of a disease which is endemic to countries south of the border and is now becoming increasingly common in the US.
Want more? Here you go:

Quote:
Frequency

United States

NCC is mainly a disease of immigrants in the United States. Currently the disease is prevalent in the states of California, Texas, and New Mexico. It represents a major cause of morbidity among the Hispanic population. Most of the cases have been diagnosed in persons of Hispanic origin; however, because of travel to zones of endemic disease, the incidence is increasing in nonendemic countries. Native cases have been reported, presumably because of ingestion of infected food that was handled by carriers of T solium.
eMedicine - Neurocysticercosis : Article by Jorge G Burneo

Quote:
Morbidity Report 2000: Cysticercosis (Public Health LA County)

Race/Ethnicity: Thirty cases (94%) wereHispanic (0.8 cases per 100,000) and 2 (6%)were non-Hispanic White (Figure 20). Twenty-four of the 30 Hispanic cases were foreign born: 20in Mexico, 3 in El Salvador, and one in Guatemala. Of the 8 cases born in the US, 6 (75%) wereHispanic
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd...es/Cysti00.pdf

Quote:
A 20-year-old Hispanic man presented to the emergency department because of the recent onset of headaches and seizures. He had no history of a previous illness. The patient had moved to Texas from Mexico approximately 2 years earlier.etc., etc., etc.
Headaches and seizures

Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM

now that some evidence has been provided we can draw conclusions about the transmission of diseases. be they danish somalis from 1990 or mexicans in the US 2008. till then i make none about a persons legal status.

the first thing to come to mind when someone has TB or is exposed is not whether they are illegal. but rather, did they eat at a fast food restaurant, do they work in the hospital, who are they coming into contact with. etc etc. maybe working in the public health field informs my perspective. but to assume one is illegal because they have a "3rd world disease" is ignorant. that may very well be the cause. but it can also be something else.
disease does not respect legal status. anyone can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I imagine it stems from the incessant carping from certain posters who refuse to see any link between illegal aliens and the recurrence of previously eradicated diseases in the US.

While the jury is still out as to the immigration status of the SF hospital employee, it's not a far stretch to assume she was/is an illegal alien, based on the fact that TB is making a comeback in the States, being carried here by unscreened illegal aliens.

Also, liberal rags like the SF Chronicle seldom if ever divulge the immigration status their story's subjects, it tends to **** off the natives when they do. Can't have the local paper indicting the sanctuary policies of the local government, now can we?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
two completely different threads with different interactions!!!

why do people drag other threads into discussions that have nothing to do with anything relevant.

i dont use such vulgarities or personally attack people like this person did. i'd rather keep the level of discussion civil.

as for the post about what i wrote to you. you said that you cant take me seriously based on my punctuation and the way i write. or god knows what else. i pointed out a contradiction in your reasoning. some one attacks my writing style while using a non conventional writing style themselves. easy point for me. that was in the past.

i got over it. can you?

but that still has nothing to do with this thread.

god this feels like high school.
Reading comprehension is not your forte apparently - I only mentioned your vernacular and suggested you play around with the shift button. And when I said I couldn't take you seriously, it was in response to what YOU said about not taking others on this board seriously. You should really try to separate fact from fiction if you're going to try to engage me in some sort of debate.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Reading comprehension is not your forte apparently - I only mentioned your vernacular and suggested you play around with the shift button. And when I said I couldn't take you seriously, it was in response to what YOU said about not taking others on this board seriously. You should really try to separate fact from fiction if you're going to try to engage me in some sort of debate.
so my diction(vernacular) was "mentioned" as well as my grammar (use of the shift button). and i pointed out that you yourself use a non conventional writing style. therefore contradicting yourself.

you boviously didnt get it.

i cant take you seriously. that was then.

here i cant take a person who uses such vulgarity and personal attacks seriously.

anyhow this thread went way south.

i'd rather debate facts.

not hurt feelings.

im over it. are you?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
thanks!!!
now was that hard?

i love articles and scholarly journals. that raises the level of discussion quite a bit. thats all you have to do.
You’re beginning to remind me of someone I don't like. What is your problem? Are you even capable of engaging in a discussion without injecting some form of condescension or insult?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

It does get tiresome. It seems like this is only the 7,857,416th person who has scoffed at the idea of diseases which either were previously eradicated from the US or were never here in the first place making an appearance in the US.

Guy, just look at the list of immunizations that the CDC recommends if you travel to some of these countries:

I'll use Honduras as an example.

Quote:
Before visiting Honduras, you may need to get the following vaccinations and medications for vaccine-preventable diseases and other diseases you might be at risk for at your destination:

Routine vaccines, as they are often called, such as for influenza, chickenpox (or varicella), polio, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR), and diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) are given at all stages of life; see the childhood and adolescent immunization schedule and routine adult immunization schedule.

Routine vaccines are recommended even if you do not travel. Although childhood diseases, such as measles, rarely occur in the United States, they are still common in many parts of the world. A traveler who is not vaccinated would be at risk for infection.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin:Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection (see map) where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.

Hepatitis B:Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission (see map), especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident).

Typhoid:Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in Mexico and Central America, especially if visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas and staying with friends or relatives where exposure might occur through food or water.

Rabies: Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking. Etc.

Malaria: Drugs to Prevent Malaria (Antimalarial drugs)
If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Honduras, chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug.

Malaria risk area in Honduras: Risk throughout the country at altitudes below 1000 m (<3,281 ft) and in Roatán and other Bay Island. Risk exists in the outskirts of Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula.
Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health

There is a list of other diseases you may also encounter further down on the page.

The CDC recommends all this because these diseases are prevalent in these areas. Americans are not routinely vaccinated for things like typhoid because it is not a problem in the US. Now if people from these areas with infectious diseases come to the US illegally and bypass our health screening system, a number of them are going to be infected when they enter the US. Depending on the disease, it may then spread to many people. Why is this so difficult to figure out? To me, it is common sense.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
now that some evidence has been provided we can draw conclusions about the transmission of diseases. be they danish somalis from 1990 or mexicans in the US 2008. till then i make none about a persons legal status.

the first thing to come to mind when someone has TB or is exposed is not whether they are illegal. but rather, did they eat at a fast food restaurant, do they work in the hospital, who are they coming into contact with. etc etc. maybe working in the public health field informs my perspective. but to assume one is illegal because they have a "3rd world disease" is ignorant. that may very well be the cause. but it can also be something else.
disease does not respect legal status. anyone can get it.
Not to be curious or anything, but if you work in the public health field, why am I telling you this stuff?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It does get tiresome. It seems like this is only the 7,857,416th person who has scoffed at the idea of diseases which either were previously eradicated from the US or were never here in the first place making an appearance in the US.

Guy, just look at the list of immunizations that the CDC recommends if you travel to some of these countries:

I'll use Honduras as an example.

Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health

There is a list of other diseases you may also encounter further down on the page.

The CDC recommends all this because these diseases are prevalent in these areas. Americans are not routinely vaccinated for things like typhoid because it is not a problem in the US. Now if people from these areas with infectious diseases come to the US illegally and bypass our health screening system, a number of them are going to be infected when they enter the US. Depending on the disease, it may then spread to many people. Why is this so difficult to figure out? To me, it is common sense.
What you have posted is not only related to the original topic but it is indicative and confirmation of what we have all tried to stress. The fact that those who oppose the posting of anything not warm and fuzzy about illegal immigration and all the baggage that comes with it is not your problem.

Thank you for this wealth of information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration