U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

146 posts, read 515,395 times

Advertisements

I think that mass illegal immigration is a serious problem for America and I want it to stop as much as most other rational-thinking Americans. I am keenly aware of the problems that a large presence of unassimilated and virtually illiterate people inevitable poses for my country.

Nevertheless, I am astonished at the blanket hatred that most posters here seem to exhibit towards all illegals. Case in point-- mixed families, where one member (or more) is an American citizen.

I am very opinionated about the issue of "mixed" families because I am married to a foreigner myself. We did it the right way, went through all the paperwork to bring her here and are now going through more of it to get her permanent residence. And I'll tell you what-- even doing it right is a nerve-wrecking process that requires a lot of (often ridiculous) paperwork and a lot of opportunities to make a mistake and face a long delay. When you realize that your love and your family, the most important things in your life, depend on a byzantine set of rules and procedures, you can't help but feel powerless. Why is it that the Government makes me jump through hoops to be with the one I love, why can't it just accept and respect the choice of a citizen whom it supposedly serves?

It is crystal clear-- forcing a husband to be away from a wife or a child away from a parent is a terrible punishment that cannot be justified easily. Taking the ones you love away from you is about the worst that the Government can do to you. And if you are an American citizen your rights are being violated about as badly as they possibly can be by your own government-- isn't there something wrong here? How is the government serving its own citizens when it takes their spouses, children or parents and sends them far away?

I find it simply sick how people react to a news story about, for instance, an American citizen's "illegal" wife being deported or a Mom being sent away from her "anchor" child who hasn't seen anything but the US in their entire life. I sense a kind of sadistic jubilation here upon hearing that a family like that gets torn apart. The fine assembly of posters in this subforum seems to derive pleasure from suffering of others. When someone (their fellow American, I might add!) sobs in desperation and hopelessness, they're having a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,844,380 times
What about the families that were broken up in their native countries when they sneaked into the US to work?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM

582 posts, read 1,789,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
What about the families that were broken up in their native countries when they sneaked into the US to work?
I believe that's called "hope".

Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM

146 posts, read 515,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Irrelevant.

I'm talking about the case of *Americans* being *forecefully* separated from their loved ones by the *American government*. For no morally justifiable reason.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:54 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,971,393 times
Most of us figure if someone comes illegally, they are taking a chance on the family being disbanded if they are caught.

Besides, the family can ALL go back to their own country, even if a child (anchor baby) is a citizen. It wouldn't exactly be a nice thing to leave a child behind! What parent would do that?

7,020 posts, read 9,910,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
Irrelevant.

I'm talking about the case of *Americans* being *forecefully* separated from their loved ones by the *American government*. For no morally justifiable reason.

The American government is guilty of many inequities and a few atrocities but what you are claiming has nothing to do with the American government.

We all have choices, all of which have consequences directly or indirectly. The fact that you are an American citizen who CHOSE to marry an illegal alien is a direct consequence of YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

As a result you have numerous options:

1. Leave with your soon to be deported bride;
2. Stay here without your illegal alien bride
3. Divorce your illegal alien bride and get on with your life
4. Once she is deported you can wait for 10 years and petition for her to return to the US.

You really need to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming American laws and the US government for your choices.

See how easy that is?

35,885 posts, read 65,416,766 times
For no morally justifiable reason? How about the law?

I have real empathy for people in these situations - but not if they knowingly came here illegally. I am sorry! What country on the face of this earth has different rules? Please tell me - cause there isn't one. It is immoral to break laws. It is unethical to sneak over the border.

This is not a simple issue. But the bottom line is - follow the rules!!!! Otherwise, the equitable thing to do is - the whole family goes back to where the illegal person is from. Families do not have to be separated!!!! The whole family can go back "home."

That is what would happen to you or me in Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, UK, etc. This is a universal principle!!!! You are not a citizen - you do not belong here unless you have a VISA or some other document that allows you temporary residence. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM

32,920 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Please inform us what laws you consider a law and what laws you consider yourself and others above? Is murder breaking a law to you? Is theft breaking a law to you? Is trespassing considered a law to you? Is identity theft a crime to you?

Most Illegal Aliens have broken 2 laws if they are working here. Entering illegally and stealing someone's identity. The majority of Americans aren't keen on either of these laws being broken.
It also wouldn't be considered breaking up a family if there wasn't the possibility of birthright Citizenship or "anchoring by baby".

In almost all cases breaking up the family started when one of the parents crossed, stole an Americans job and then sent for the rest of the family.

You knowingly married a criminal.(not in your case obviously but that is usually the case) Sorry, that doesn't register on my sympathy meter.

I have a laundry list of things I can present to you that have affected me personally through the throngs of Illegal Aliens. If you'd like to hear them let me know. We Americans are sick of this carp. Play by the rules or get the h*** out.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-29-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,910,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
For no morally justifiable reason? How about the law?

I have real empathy for people in these situations - but not if they knowingly came here illegally. I am sorry! What country on the face of this earth has different rules? Please tell me - cause there isn't one. It is immoral to break laws. It is unethical to sneak over the border.

This is not a simple issue. But the bottom line is - follow the rules!!!! Otherwise, the equitable thing to do is - the whole family goes back to where the illegal person is from. Families do not have to be separated!!!! The whole family can go back "home."

That is what would happen to you or me in Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, UK, etc. This is a universal principle!!!! You are not a citizen - you do not belong here unless you have a VISA or some other document that allows you temporary residence. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Exactly. Everybody who comes here and breaks the law in some form or another thinks they are being treated unfairly. I am so sick and tired of people moaning and complaining about our laws. At what point do they realize that without the enforcement of our laws we'd be exactly like the hell holes they leave by the millions?

If we wanted to live like them we'd be leaving the US in droves for one of the many 3rd world cesspools they flee by the millions.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM

11,219 posts, read 7,628,413 times
Breaking up families? The parents should have thought of that when they came here illegally. The solution? Simple, everybody move back then there will be no breakup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration