Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
The point is, we're talking about Latinos in the United States. Most of which are Mexican, most of which are of Mestizo descent.

A lot of times you guys fret about Hispanics getting government help or whatever for Hispanic, because of the white 10 percent in Mexico, or the mostly white country in South America that doesnt really have too many people immigrating here.
Theyre kind of irrelevant to the Latinos in the United States, most of which are of Mexican descent and mestizo.

Those other Latinos don't really immigrate to the US in large numbers because they have it so good where they are at. And even if they do come to the US, they usually come with money, and aren't really draining the government by getting support for "just being Hispanic".

You keep mentioning your Scandinavian, German, 'white supremacist' Latinos, but theyre just not here in large numbers like the mestizo population.
Since most Mexicans and Americans whose ancestors of Mexican heritage immigrated here...........they certainly do not deserve any more 'Affirmative Action' than folks who came here from Germany, Italy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since most Mexicans and Americans whose ancestors of Mexican heritage immigrated here...........they certainly do not deserve any more 'Affirmative Action' than folks who came here from Germany, Italy, etc.
If people from Germany, Italy, etc were underrepresented in certain areas of society(higher learning, white collar jobs) I think they too should be encouraged to reach those goals.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
If people from Germany, Italy, etc were underrepresented in certain areas of society(higher learning, white collar jobs) I think they too should be encouraged to reach those goals.
Encouragement and race-based set asides are two VERY different things...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Encouragement and race-based set asides are two VERY different things...
Everybody who gets in to college earns it. You cant jerk off in school and get accepted into a college.
Now, compared to the past, there are more minorities in the university system.
Is that a bad thing?
And theres still plenty of whites. Its not like no whites are getting denied an education so a brown or black kid can sit in his seat.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I agree:

It is called taking personal responsibility---------if the children of Japanese and Chinese immigrants succeeded prior to WW II (and that was them facing bald faced racism/discrimination as well)---------so can other people of so-called 'color'.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I agree:

It is called taking personal responsibility---------if the children of Japanese and Chinese immigrants succeeded prior to WW II (and that was them facing bald faced racism/discrimination as well)---------so can other people of so-called 'color'.
I think its great the Japanese and Chinese are so successful in this country, but could it be that some minorities were tolerated more than others?

For example,
Just 15 years ago, the Blacks in LA were getting a lot of heat while Mexican-Americans/Mexicans were more or less tolerated in comparison.

Today, with the immigration debate and the migration of Blacks(and a lot of their gangs) to places like the Inland Empire and Antelope Valley, its the other way around.

On this forum, I remember someone saying MS-13 was more violent than the Bloods could ever hope to be, which I thought was hilarious! The thought that one gang of criminals was better than another gang of criminals just because of ethnicity!

I think while culture plays a big part, I dont think its simply the difference of "manning up" between Asians and Latinos or Blacks or other minorities.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I think its great the Japanese and Chinese are so successful in this country, but could it be that some minorities were tolerated more than others?

For example,
Just 15 years ago, the Blacks in LA were getting a lot of heat while Mexican-Americans/Mexicans were more or less tolerated in comparison.

Today, with the immigration debate and the migration of Blacks(and a lot of their gangs) to places like the Inland Empire and Antelope Valley, its the other way around.

On this forum, I remember someone saying MS-13 was more violent than the Bloods could ever hope to be, which I thought was hilarious! The thought that one gang of criminals was better than another gang of criminals just because of ethnicity!

I think while culture plays a big part, I dont think its simply the difference of "manning up" between Asians and Latinos or Blacks or other minorities.
Then please explain why Black people of direct Nigerian, etc. heritage have the rep of being significantly better liked/respected here in the USA by White people than many American Blacks whose slave ancestors also came from Nigeria, etc.-----------250 years ago? Eddie Murphy, the comedian, looks Nigerian.

Culture trumps race when it gets down to it.

Despite my being obviously White: I would vastly prefer a Middle Class group of Blacks as my next door neighbors vs. a family of stereotypical PW Trash.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Then please explain why Black people of direct Nigerian, etc. heritage have the rep of being significantly better liked/respected here in the USA by White people than many American Blacks whose slave ancestors also came from Nigeria, etc.-----------250 years ago? Eddie Murphy, the comedian, looks Nigerian.

Culture trumps race when it gets down to it.

Despite my being obviously White: I would vastly prefer a Middle Class group of Blacks as my next door neighbors vs. a family of stereotypical PW Trash.
Did you not see the two threads directed at Somalians, who as far as Ive see, haven't had any problems in this country? Most of whom are very nice people.]

And there is NOTHING wrong with Mexican culture. And you yourself can't really comment on it, because you used Tijuana to judge the whole country.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with mexican culture, but I think there is something wrong with mexican culture when they move here. stuffing too many people into apartments, and cars. it's not all of them, but sure seems to be a lot of them.

Quote:
Did you not see the two threads directed at Somalians, who as far as Ive see, haven't had any problems in this country? Most of whom are very nice people.]

And there is NOTHING wrong with Mexican culture. And you yourself can't really comment on it, because you used Tijuana to judge the whole country.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with mexican culture, but I think there is something wrong with mexican culture when they move here. stuffing too many people into apartments, and cars. it's not all of them, but sure seems to be a lot of them.
Agreed I have no issue with Mexicans or hispanics as far as race or culture. My issue is the presumption that hispanic illegals are entitled.
The only real issue I can tag the hispanic population with is that they do tend as a group to facilitate, enable and shelter illegal hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration