U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM

31 posts, read 51,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frito Bandito

That was a stereotype against Mexicans.
Oh how times change.

And today we have Waldo the Watermelon seed that offended African Americans at the California state fair.
Quote:
The watermelon seed art was part of an exhibit to celebrate Colusa Countyís seed producing crops.
Veronica Hannon Thrasher and her husband took offense to the watermelon seed artwork saying it was racist and looked like ďa happy black slave eating watermelon.Ē
Waldo the Watermelon Seed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,902,513 times
Actually, Dominicans make the best fried chicken. They also happen to be both Latino and Black.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
RandomU, thanks for your efforts! Unfortunately, some people will never understand. I consider myself to be a person with pretty thick skin, but sometimes people go overboard. As a black person, I am certainly no stranger to racism. Iím also old enough to remember how it feels to be treated as subhuman. Consequently, I would NEVER intentionally do or say anything to dehumanize another; which is one reason I find it hilarious to be accused of failing to recognize illegals as being human beings.

This country has made tremendous progress in race relations. Does racism still exist? Most definitely! However, I really donít believe the vast majority of people in this county are hardcore racists. Yes, we all have prejudices, but racial Ďhatredí is quite different.

I donít consider it racist to prefer to associate with a certain Ďclassí of people. Iím black, and there are black people even I donít care to live near, or encounter. I also donít have a problem laughing at stereotypical black jokes, as long as theyíre not intended to be racist. As a matter of fact, one of the funniest jokes Iíve ever heard was about black people in Heaven. However, I did not consider Californioís comments as being made in jest.

Thereís a difference between a blatant racist attack, and a discussion of racial stereotypes. Iím sure some still do not understand why I was offended by Californioís comment. RandomU, I thank you again for attempting to explain. Youíre a class act.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,051,215 times
Yeah im sure, hispanics are taking all the jobs, as soon as they kick us out, well see anglos, working at mcdonalds, putting tile, roofing, picking crops........YEAHHHHHH RIGHT!!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I catch your drift.

Remember too I am old enough to remember the Frito Bandito and we in the Wash DC area perceived him as just another 'White boy' who got razzed-----------much like (Americans of) Irish, Italian, Polish, or any other 'Caucasian' heritage..
The ďbanditoĒ image is still being portrayed in Cancun -- yes Mexico. They offer daily fun cruises from Puerto Juarez down to the Isla Mujeres. On the boat, everyone wears a bandito top containing the traditional crisscrossed bullets, and they paint mustaches on those wishing to participate. They offer live bands, dancing, and an open bar. Needless to say, by the time the boat docks at the island, everyone is feeling pretty good. They have a fabulous buffet on the island, and live entertainment. Everyone has a wonderful time. Obviously, they donít consider the bandito image as being offensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Yeah im sure, hispanics are taking all the jobs, as soon as they kick us out, well see anglos, working at mcdonalds, putting tile, roofing, picking crops........YEAHHHHHH RIGHT!!!!!
Actually I see Americans doing those jobs by me. When I was younger I worked on a farm, at a resturant and was a chamber maid. My mom was a chamber maid for years. My dad worked as a mason and cut tile. My uncle who is native American/white still works in the construction industry. Americans of every color do all these jobs.

Americans of all colors did all these jobs-EVERY job-until this illegal alien invasion. There are still parts of this county that have a majority of Americans-of all colors- who do these job which only proves the point that Americans are more than willing to do these jobs. If we were lucky enough to have every illegal alien go home tomorrow-there would be a competition to get American workers and that would benefit Americans in real wages and benefits. Just look at these factories that hire illegal aliens-when they are raided there are lines out the door the next day of Americans wanting these jobs.

Nicolem

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM

Just look at these factories that hire illegal aliens-when they are raided there are lines out the door the next day of Americans wanting these jobs.

and.....it what planet is this???

Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 AM

illegal alien invasion. [oooooh my bad thats what it is called!!]

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Just look at these factories that hire illegal aliens-when they are raided there are lines out the door the next day of Americans wanting these jobs.

and.....it what planet is this???

I am on earth- I don't know where you are.

There have been numerous stories about this in the news not only recently but in the last few years. We have had pages of debates on this forum specifically about this recently.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
illegal alien invasion. [oooooh my bad thats what it is called!!]
Well that is what many call it. I certainly don't give it some fluff bs sob story name like "undocumented innocents here to do everything Americans won't". Illegal is just that illegal. No matter what you or anyone else like to call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration