U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
average americans certainly do not need illegal immigrants to survive, but surely the wealthy need them to keep wages down so that they can make more profit.
Add to that this is what the factory owners said about child labor at the turn of the nineteenth century. Turns out we didn't need an eight year old working 40 hours a week at a loom, now did we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:26 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You sound like one of the slave masters of the Old South that thought it would be impossible to make a business run without slave labor.

If dirt cheap labor is your goal -- paying people wages that no one should have to live on or that must be subsidized with food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, housing assistance, then why not just have slaves? After all, being a slave in the USA would be better than living free in some of the third world countries, and what labor could be cheaper than slave labor?

Well -- illegal labor can be cheaper when you think about it. The masters had to provide for their slaves which isn't done with illegals.
Dirt cheap labor is NOT my goal and anything close to slaves is dispicable.
The way things are going, if Americans want more money all the time, the companies will just pack up and move their business to another country that is willing to work for less,

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
The way things are going, if Americans want more money all the time, the companies will just pack up and move their business to another country that is willing to work for less,
Oh well.

For the record: many of our products are not labor intensive and; after factoring in shipping costs, etc. (cars and trucks come to mind).........it is oftentimes cheaper to make 'em here----------despite our higher labor costs.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's a form of racism to claim that no Americans will work hard for a living. Many Americans work very hard, Americans of all races can be found who work hard.

Mexicans are not some superior race that just is like some kind of worker ants. They *might* work hard for dirt wages but only because they're desperate --- but how good is that? We don't need to have a desperate impoverished class of workers here in this country, we don't need limitless cheap servants for the elite class. That's Mexico -- for those who want that -- move to Mexico. We should work to maintain middle class living standards for the vast majority of people and that means competitive pay (but not with the third world) and decent working conditions.
I agree that yes we do have some Americans that are hard workers, but I also think we have a large segment of Americans that will only work for
x amount of money, this really has gone on for years, but with the influx of Immigrants willing to work for less, I think that was the turning point.
We also have companies taking their business and moving to another country, which in turn takes the jobs from Americans, it is sad, but maybe you think there will be a huge change when the Illegals are sent home but I don't. You will still have the companies packing up and taking their business elsewhere.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Well I'd expect there to be a more diverse crowed. Simply because there were two black dudes interviewed doesn't mean it helped all Blacks.
I don't care what color they are; they are U.S. Citizens and that's really all that matters Californio.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
I agree that yes we do have some Americans that are hard workers, but I also think we have a large segment of Americans that will only work for
x amount of money, this really has gone on for years, but with the influx of Immigrants willing to work for less, I think that was the turning point.
We also have companies taking their business and moving to another country, which in turn takes the jobs from Americans, it is sad, but maybe you think there will be a huge change when the Illegals are sent home but I don't. You will still have the companies packing up and taking their business elsewhere.
The more I read the harder I find it to believe that you are as you claim, an American. You obviously have no clue with regards to the laws, rules and regulations of legal employment in America.

The fact that you condone and justify the act of an American corporation hiring an illegal alien at slave wages, while dismissing the right of an American to demand a fair wage as required by law, is just mind boggling.

First and foremost, Americans do not have the option of foregoing the payment of state and federal taxes;

Second, we have to pay for our medical, dental, vision and life insurance.

We also have to plan for our future retirement, thus social security taxes and pensions.

If it is a union job, then there are more deductions for Union dues.

All of which does not apply to nor is deducted from the illegal aliens paycheck. That is of course unless said illegal alien has stolen an American's identification or created a fictitious SSN. Otherwise they are paid in cash, under the table.

To blame the legal workers for their entitlement to earning a fair wage in order to take care of their families is one of the more ridiculous scenarios you have stated to date.

I guarantee you if the corporate slave masters move their headquarters SOB tomorrow they will begin paying the same low wages of every other Mexican sweat shop. Thus the invasion of the US will continue.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM

638 posts, read 1,637,959 times
AB, JDub, etc.

Why even respond to that user? It's a propagandist, who knowingly stirs up **** with inflammatory remarks, and reeks of anti-American sentiment. Send it to Mexico and close the gate.

Granted, at least this one is somewhat clever, but those inflammatory remarks and anti-American sentiment are exactly why people are growing numb to the illegals as humans. Look at what they cultivate. Hate. They want to start a race war, but only with people who can't fight back. Cowards.

Just a f.y.i., you're stepping in filth responding to this user.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

Well --- they certainly have that option. Let them. If a particular employer is so loathe to hire an American or legal immigrant, then let them relocate their business and hire whoever they like in that country.

These businesses hiring illegals do us no good. They certainly don't provide jobs for Americans. They virtually never provide health insurance making the health care of their employees a burden on the taxpayers.

They don't benefit the sending country because they are not creating jobs in that country.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
The other thing is that it takes a fair amount of money to live in the USA. The cost of food, housing, healthcare, education is very very high here compared with other countries.

An illegal cannot make it here any better than an American can on substandard wages. Sure illegals are willing to take the fast food industry jobs for minimum wage or less that only American teenagers and college students would otherwise take, and maybe it seems nice to some to see adults trying to support families on those wages but then you find out that these people are working AND receiving welfare handouts like food stamps and Medicaid. That amounts to a very nice taxpayer subsidized work force for the greedy employers -- their motto being: privatize the profits, socialize the costs.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't care what color they are; they are U.S. Citizens and that's really all that matters Californio.

That's the exact point I'm trying to get across. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration