Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 PM

391 posts, read 872,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I guess we will see Bear, when all there is are U.S. citizens. I still think there are jobs that American think are below them and they think they are too good to do them...but we can wait and see who ends up being right
some are just thick headed not to see the trees for the forest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
quick call all our black americans and give them the great news employement just opened in a new plant. hurry guick before all those non lazing americans relocate to take the job or they move the business to china
You sound racist. Are you insinuating unemployed black Americans would not like jobs?

Old 08-30-2008, 06:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You sound racist. Are you insinuating unemployed black Americans would not like jobs?
I got that same impression as well................

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
some are just thick headed not to see the trees for the forest posted by Chey2U And some are simply blind to the real needs of their country. Some are also blind to the economic drag of illegal aliens on our welfare system and legal system, not to mention the extra petroleum used by all these illegals driving illegally. Why is it so hard for so many to embrace the fact that these people are breaking the law. If a man breaks into your house and steals from you, don't you expect him to be punished. But it seems you are fine with men/women breaking into our country and stealing our resources. Seems very obtuse to me.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The very same words were spoken in regards to child labor and the sweatshops of the early 1900's, I'm surprised that you would associate yourself with such a heartless and selfish group of people...
Yes! I wish people would do a little reading on the birth of the american labor movement. The cruelties and harsh working environments those people were forced to work in, and the dangers they faced when trying to unionize. What is happening with now with illegal labor is very acurately called 'scab labor'. It was a slur in 1910 and it is sadly just as relevent today.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
quick call all our black americans and give them the great news employement just opened in a new plant. hurry guick before all those non lazing americans relocate to take the job or they move the business to china
Harsh, and unfair. Had these corporations ever tried recruiting out of state? Hell, had these corporations tried recruiting in english? My guess is no. It is also my guess that american blacks will work for a living wage, they will not work for below minimum and only if they know how to speak spanish.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Because I said we need illegals to survive. Quoting me somewhere me somewhere would be nice and help your argument much stronger .
What do you mean we need illegals to survive? Survive what?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I guess we will see Bear, when all there is are U.S. citizens. I still think there are jobs that American think are below them and they think they are too good to do them...but we can wait and see who ends up being right
Sassy, I worked as a maid at Holiday Inn when I was 13 - full time in the summer, and on weekends during the school year till I was 17. (and oh, the stories I could tell -- hint..never and I mean never sleep with the comforter pulled to your chin )
Guess who worked with me? Mainly black ladies and a couple of white girls all from the 'bad' part of town. Not a fun job, not a glamourous job, and not even an especially well paying job but those ladies took pride in their work and it was hard 'icky' work. The same goes for the guys (mainly black) down in the laundry. My dh made his money in high school detassling corn (a white boy doing field work ) and working as a line cook at Bishops.
The fact is, americans are willing and able to do 'icky' work, and if you see certain jobs to be 'below you', well that is your prejudice not everyones. And while americans will do these jobs and with pride no less! we do need a living wage and benefits. Americans will not live 10-20 in a house, americans will actually pay for car insurance, and americans like the idea of upward mobility i.e. a job that just may recognize achievement and let its workers advance into management. Now compare that with illegal workers....they are happy to make whatever the boss throws at them because compared with the home country, it is a fortune.
When people throw out the tired line of "illegals do the jobs that americans won't do", it is like comparing apples to oranges.....americans can, have and will do those jobs .... we just expect to be paid for them.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes! I wish people would do a little reading on the birth of the american labor movement. The cruelties and harsh working environments those people were forced to work in, and the dangers they faced when trying to unionize. What is happening with now with illegal labor is very acurately called 'scab labor'. It was a slur in 1910 and it is sadly just as relevent today.
Remember the Pennsylvania Coal and Iron 'Police'?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember the Pennsylvania Coal and Iron 'Police'?
Or the Molly Maguires?
Or the epitome of dangerous working conditions --- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory?
People like to believe that the only crime an illegal commits is the one where he/she crossed the border. The real crime comes in undercutting the unions and the american working man. Not everybody is college material, and that shouldn't condemn a person to trying (and failing) to compete for jobs with illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration