Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Nationality can mean cultural affiliation as well. Don't worry, I didn't expect YOU to know that
No, it can't.

They're 2 ENTIRELY different things.

Look up 'nationality' in ANY dictionary, I PROMISE that 'cultural affiliation' will NOT pop up as a definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:33 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I know Tom. Great guy. Don't know what he knows about Hispanic food though........He is part Iberian Spanish, not Latino at all.
He is Hispanic though

Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
No, it can't.

They're 2 ENTIRELY different things.

Look up 'nationality' in ANY dictionary, I PROMISE that 'cultural affiliation' will NOT pop up as a definition.
Nationality: people having common origins or traditions and often comprising a nation

Nationality is a relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty

In my case its not a matter of loyalty, I am only loyal to the U.S.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
He is Hispanic though
True. But do you think of Spanish cuisine when talking about Hispanic/Latino food? Even though I know there are lots of Spanish influences in Latin cuisine (i.e. Latin American [Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian]), I don't............

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,438 times
I live in downtown Miami and every day there are whordes of black people who are on "strike" in front of the Four Seasons hotel, the Citibank building, as well as many other downtown commercial buildings. They are protesting having lost their jobs to (Hispanic) workers who obviously work harder and/or for less money.

It's quite pathetic that they are acting like they are in a strike, but actually they don't even work for the buildings they stand in front of, nor have they ever been former employees. They are just protesting the fact that Hispanic immigrants are making money sweeping floors and washing dishes.

Again, did someone say ENTITLEMENT?

You are not entitled to a job, ever.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
True. But do you think of Spanish cuisine when talking about Hispanic/Latino food? Even though I know there are lots of Spanish influences in Latin cuisine (i.e. Latin American [Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian]), I don't............
Well a lot of Latino food has a lot of Spanish influence.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Wiki is NOT a dictionary. For all I know you just typed that in there yourself.

Here's what Merriam-Webster says...

Quote:
Main Entry:
na·tion·al·i·ty Listen to the pronunciation of nationality
Pronunciation:
\ˌna-shə-ˈna-lə-tē, ˌnash-ˈna-\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural na·tion·al·i·ties
Date:

1: national character2: nationalism 13 a: national status; specifically : a legal relationship involving allegiance on the part of an individual and usually protection on the part of the state b: membership in a particular nation4: political independence or existence as a separate nation5 a: a people having a common origin, tradition, and language and capable of forming or actually constituting a nation-state b: an ethnic group constituting one element of a larger unit (as a nation)
I don't see 'cultural affiliation' in there, do you?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Wiki is NOT a dictionary. For all I know you just typed that in there yourself.

Here's what Merriam-Webster says...

I don't see 'cultural affiliation' in there, do you?
Quote:
common origin, tradition, and language
That seems to outline it. I have a common origin with Mexico, I am apart of Mexican culture and I speak Spanish!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
That seems to outline it. I have a common origin with Mexico, I am apart of Mexican culture and I speak Spanish!
Whatever, man. You notice that you have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H the very LAST definition completely out of shape in order to justify your statement. What do the FIRST 5 say?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Well: Jose Gonzalez the folk singer if going by nationality would be Swedish, not any variety of Latino----------never mind that his parents hailed from Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration