Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

"I am very disappointed," says US Senator Jon Kyl.

Kyl is upset because money he wriggled out of the federal government four years ago to pay hospitals for illegal immigrant care has dried up.

"I'm not at all happy. There's nothing I can do," he says.

Kyl was able to get Congress to appropriate a billion dollars over four years to pay hospitals all along the US Mexican border from California to Texas. It was part of the Medicare reform bill. It's called 1011 money.

"My hope was we could just keep extending it until we got some comprehensive immigration reform. That was my original intent," he says.

But as of October 1, 2008, the money goes away because it was not extended.

UMC, which has the only level one trauma center in Southern Arizona, was getting about $2 million a year. It helps reimburse the hospital for the $6 million it spends annually for emergency care for immigrants.

UMC officials were in Washington, DC last month lobbying for the bill.

"Obviously, it's very beneficial," says Marj Sisson. admissions director for the hospital.

There have been several multi-injury accidents this year involving immigrants, many of whom have been air lifted to UMC.

Hospitals lose immigrant care money

WTH? Why is medicare funding being used to pay for the medical care of illegal aliens? The insanity continues . . . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Well, for one thing, the feds have mandated that hospitals cannot turn away illegals. So hospitals are going bankrupt in some area (particularly along the border). The reimbursements helped off set those losses. Now many of these hospitals will have to close their doors unless the Feds stops the insanity and quit requiring hospitals to provide freebie care to illegals.

It is totally loony tune.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The impact on the border cities is un-frickin-believable.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
I'm sure Obama has some kind of "plan" for this.....too bad even he doesnt know what it is

Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I want all four of em to come sit with me in the ER behind 40 Illegals just to get a taste of what it's like.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The impact on the border cities is un-frickin-believable.
Along the border, it isn't even so much the illegals living on the USA side but the residents of Mexico coming over for their free schools and hospitals that are the problem. A whole lot of pregnant girls get shopping passes and come to give birth instead.

The problem isn't that there aren't any hospitals in Mexico because there are, and many are adequate (as though illegals were judging quality) but they are not completely free. Mexico has nationalized health care but are expected to pay a small portion of their bill depending on income. That should be just fine but these people know they can not only get health care completely free in the USA but if it involves having a baby, they will then head straight to the nearest welfare office.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
OMG - this will result in even more American jobs being lost due to the closing of hospitals. Why not give hospitals the right to refuse treatment to anyone who is an illegal? Send those pregnant moms back over the border. There are just times where I would love to kick some Congress you know what.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:18 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
They could easily change the rules that require treatment regardless of the ability to pay.
But then, that would also impact Americans.
No matter how you look at it, Americans will pay for illegal alien health care, one way or the other.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
These hospitals should sue Mexico to get some of their funds back or maybe we bargain our healthcare for their oil.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
They could easily change the rules that require treatment regardless of the ability to pay.
But then, that would also impact Americans.
No matter how you look at it, Americans will pay for illegal alien health care, one way or the other.

What they need to do is go after the employers of these injured and sick illegals. Whoever brought them in such have to pay for them. That includes those who feel they must have servants, make them provide them their health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration