U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

[quote=malamute;5054418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post


Vicente Fox's father was not American, only his grandfather was. His father was a Mexican citizen, born in Mexico to a Mexican mother and immigrant father.
His father was indeed an American.

Quote:
His father was Josť Luis Fox Pont, an American citizen[3] and his mother was Mercedes Quesada Etxaide, a Basque immigrant from Donostia-San SebastiŠn. His paternal grandfather, Josť Luis Fox Flach, was born Joseph Louis Fuchs in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, son of German Catholic immigrants Louis Fuchs and Catherina Elisabetha Flach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think you know who is McCain's vice president choice. How many children does she have? 5! You can find hispanic couples who have 5 children. No doubt. you can also find couples regardless of their ethnicity, who have 5 children. Each culture has their own business, their own problems. Surely you can agree that someone from Northern Mexico who is of mostly of Spanish ancestry will have the same culture as an Indian from Oaxaca?
The big difference. McCain's vice president choice is a married woman, they are a couple who can support their 5 children, they are not sneaking into other countries trying to get welfare handouts, and they aren't scalding their kids.

I don't care if a hard-working family in Mexico has 5 kids but they should be able to support them -- which means waiting until they finish an education, obtain job skills, and a marriage before they have 5 kids. Also that family should not abandon those 5 kids to live 4000 miles away from them, and they should not have organized criminal rings smuggling their 5 kids into another country.

Since you are the expert on Mexico -- what do you suppose would happen if instead of coming into the USA illegally and seeing that as the cure-all, if Mexicans would have their kids complete an education, get a job and develop job skills, and be married before starting a family, and limit family size to the number of children they could afford -- would that not help solve some of the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
[quote=Californio;5054433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

His father was indeed an American.

I tend to doubt that. Americans aren't allowed to own property in Mexico and his father did own property in Mexico and back in those days, Mexico did not allow dual citizenship after age 18. I know Mexicans who had dual citizenship but reached age 18 and had to make a choice. His father was born in Mexico, lived in Mexico, worked in Mexico -- I suspect that if he held American citizenship, it was only as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
391 posts, read 740,356 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Well, point being that there are a lot of bad people--whether they're American citizens or legal & illegal aliens, and dwelling on stories like this does nothing but make these people seem less than human. Yes, they're here illegally, and yes, it's wrong and a lot needs to be done--I have no argument with that. Unless you choose not to live in reality though, it's not a simple black and white issue, and highlighting such stories really isn't too constructive.

And, last I checked, it's the "Immigration" thread, not the "Forum for those who loathe illegal immigrants" thread. Or is it?
do you not realize only illegals commit such attoricities or are ALL the american ones to numerous to write about? this is the immigration thread not loathe the immigtant thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
do you not realize only illegals commit such attoricities or are ALL the american ones to numerous to write about? this is the immigration thread not loathe the immigtant thread
Even if they were the Superior Raza race as some of you claim and really did have better family values than Americans and were harder workers as a race than all the other races, that still gives them no right to break our immigration laws, or break any of our other laws.

But please explain why we need the mentally ill, the insane, and the morons from Mexico? What possible good are they going to do us, and why should they be coming here when there are others who cannot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The big difference. McCain's vice president choice is a married woman, they are a couple who can support their 5 children, they are not sneaking into other countries trying to get welfare handouts, and they aren't scalding their kids.

So, when you walk up to a Hispanic looking couple, you automatically assume the children were born out of wedlock, they can't support their children and they're on welfare? Wow.

I don't care if a hard-working family in Mexico has 5 kids but they should be able to support them -- which means waiting until they finish an education, obtain job skills, and a marriage before they have 5 kids. Also that family should not abandon those 5 kids to live 4000 miles away from them, and they should not have organized criminal rings smuggling their 5 kids into another country.

Since you are the expert on Mexico -- what do you suppose would happen if instead of coming into the USA illegally and seeing that as the cure-all, if Mexicans would have their kids complete an education, get a job and develop job skills, and be married before starting a family, and limit family size to the number of children they could afford -- would that not help solve some of the problem?

Who said I was the expert on Mexico? Just because both American and Mexican culture have shaped me doesn't mean I'm the expert. I talk from experience. Your relying on a biased interpretation (ig. those articles you posted. The one with that women talking about Hispanic culture headline, and then going on to talk about facts as if thats supposed to portray a picture of Mexican culture. That's like saying because the stereotype for Americans is being fat and lazy, I'm goign to assume all Americans are fat and lazy and being fat and lazy is apart of the culture). I have an uncle is a Mexican graduated chemical engineer, however he now is a truck driver in the United States. There are certainly different classes of people, and the class your speaking about is the class thats coming to the United STates via the Mexico/American border, the Southern Mexicans. But really, your speaking about Mexicans like your apart of Mexican culture. If what you were saying was a generalized, accurate truth, do you think a women of Mexican descent would be the United States treasurer?

If you want to get into the argument of having children at a teen age, out of wedlock, Let's take it to the British forums. Britain has the highest teenage birth rate per 1,000 people Europe.

Quote:
The teenage birth rate in United States is the highest in the developed world, and the teenage abortion rate is also high.[3] The U.S. teenage pregnancy rate was at a high in the 1950s and has decreased since then, although there has been an increase in births out of wedlock
Thank God it's decreased for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Reputation: 76
[quote=malamute;5054547]Even if they were the Superior Raza race as some of you claim and really did have better family values than Americans and were harder workers as a race than all the other races, that still gives them no right to break our immigration laws, or break any of our other laws.

But please explain why we need the mentally ill, the insane, and the morons from Mexico? What possible good are they going to do us, and why should they be coming here when there are others who cannot?[/quote]

The more reason to enforce our borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 02:24 AM
 
105 posts, read 184,178 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What I think the problem is -- many including politicians tried to shove this issue down our throats, saying that it was fine for these people to break our immigration laws and commit felony document fraud and identification theft because they were hard workers and had such great family values.

It turns out they don't. They have very high illegitimacy rates, child abuse and domestic abuse rates. They certainly do not have better family values than any American group and certainly aren't justified in breaking every law they find inconvenient for their great family values because they lack them.
Malamute, that's total crap. No one ever said, or thinks, that "it was fine for these people to break our immigration laws and commit felony document fraud and identification theft because they were hard workers and had such great family values."

These things are wrong indeed, but identity theft? Seriously--the vast majority of people committing this crime are Americans.

Americans don't have high rates of illegitimate children? Commit far higher rates of truly heinous felonies?

I'm not saying that these people should be forgiven for that, but come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 AM
 
105 posts, read 184,178 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The REAL truth is, Mexico's morality is WORSE than America's, and most sentient beings KNOW it.
Mexico's morality? Morality? Are you serious? What does that mean?

Living in Arizona, I'm sure there are many problems with illegal immigration that Americans in other states can't really relate to, and I understand that, but you can't really mean that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Mexico's morality? Morality? Are you serious? What does that mean?

Living in Arizona, I'm sure there are many problems with illegal immigration that Americans in other states can't really relate to, and I understand that, but you can't really mean that.
Well, I've never been offered a date with a 'virgin sister' north of the border...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top