U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Reputation: 2728

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks Benicar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Thanks Benicar.
You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Reputation: 2728
Language
Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;
have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over
50 years of age; or
have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.



So we are exempting people who have lived here for 15-20 years in some cases? First of all-again-so much for assimilation. You have lived here for that long-don't speak English and we aren't going to require it? That is not only outrageous but also just b.s.

This also proves my point on the flyers being handed out in Spanish. They were certainly not handed out to only those over 50 years of age- so what was the intention? According to this-those under 50 who have been granted citizenship and thus have the right to vote-should be able to read, write and speak ordinary English. Why do they need ballots or political flyers in languages other than English?

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Language
Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;
have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over
50 years of age; or
have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.

So we are exempting people who have lived here for 15-20 years in some cases? First of all-again-so much for assimilation. You have lived here for that long-don't speak English and we aren't going to require it? That is not only outrageous but also just b.s.

This also proves my point on the flyers being handed out in Spanish. They were certainly not handed out to only those over 50 years of age- so what was the intention? According to this-those under 50 who claim to be citizens and thus have the right to vote-should be able to read, write and speak ordinary English. Why do they need ballots or political flyers in languages other than English?
Nicolem
I totally agree. Anyone living in this country for 15-20 years who cannot understand ANY English, IMO doesn't deserve to be granted citizenship. The requirements are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,693,104 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I totally agree. Anyone living in this country for 15-20 years who cannot understand ANY English, IMO doesn't deserve to be granted citizenship. The requirements are ridiculous.

lol how about postal workers who don't speak English?

It's a good thing I speak Spanish same as English or mailing packages in local post office would be impossible.

It took few month's to realize when I moved here from PA that I didn't need English .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
lol how about postal workers who don't speak English?

It's a good thing I speak Spanish same as English or mailing packages in local post office would be impossible.

It took few month's to realize when I moved here from PA that I didn't need English .
Now, that's ridiculous! I haven't encountered that at any post offices in my area. English-speaking Americans still have those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso
lol how about postal workers who don't speak English?

It's a good thing I speak Spanish same as English or mailing packages in local post office would be impossible.

It took few month's to realize when I moved here from PA that I didn't need English .
Lol, where do you live? I live in California and this has never been a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 AM
 
105 posts, read 184,145 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now, that's ridiculous! I haven't encountered that at any post offices in my area. English-speaking Americans still have those jobs.
I've met a bunch of postal workers whose grasp of English was tenous, at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
I've met a bunch of postal workers whose grasp of English was tenous, at best.
I'm certainly glad I don't live in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top