U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Also, what you just posted has nothing to do with Mexicans protesting for their rights. This is supposed to be a positive article, something that users on this forum had deemed false, and is now moving forward. In fact, this protest is still going on as we speak.
So are the beheadings and the narco-mantas. 18 decapitations in 72 hours. I think they need to do more than march. Maybe demand "second amendment rights" like we have? They've been doing annual marches with candles for 11 years now and where is it getting them?

The marches and candles and white robes are all good and fine, but there has to be something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 AM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So are the beheadings and the narco-mantas. 18 decapitations in 72 hours. I think they need to do more than march. Maybe demand "second amendment rights" like we have? They've been doing annual marches with candles for 11 years now and where is it getting them?

The marches and candles and white robes are all good and fine, but there has to be something else.
Yes lots of decapitations. There's a lot of chaos now that both the Mexican and American governments are getting involved to stop them. This wasn't happening when they weren't disturbed.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Time will tell. It all depends on a number of things, and whether instability can lead to stability, but as long as the borders are unenforced and wide open, then the cartels can continue to profit from drug and weapons smuggling and also kidnapping and extortion. The profit is certainly one motive they have but it might not be the only motive.

Ignoring root causes won't get the problem fixed. Ignoring contributing causes won't help either.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Time will tell. It all depends on a number of things, and whether instability can lead to stability, but as long as the borders are unenforced and wide open, then the cartels can continue to profit from drug and weapons smuggling and also kidnapping and extortion. The profit is certainly one motive they have but it might not be the only motive.

Ignoring root causes won't get the problem fixed. Ignoring contributing causes won't help either.
Agreed. It's a decent start but I'm not impressed. There are multiple MILLIONS of illegal alien Mexican nationals living in the US, demanding rights and stealing tax dollars and jobs they are NOT entitled to.

Yet there are only a few thousand (finally) marching in Mexico now that the drug violence has become 10 times as overwhelming than their acceptable NORM.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-31-2008 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. It's a decent start but I'm not impressed. There are multiple MILLIONS of illegal alien Mexican nationals living in the US, demanding rights and stealing tax dollars and jobs they are NOT entitled to.

Yet there are only a few thousand (finally) marching in Mexico now that the drug violence has become 10 times as overwhelming than their acceptable NORM.
Agreed. If there were MASSIVE in-your-face protests “demanding” better jobs, social services, standard of living, and an end to corruption, or else. If they were waving U.S. flags and vociferously denouncing the Mexican government for forcing them to flee their country for greener pastures in the US. If they were refusing to be treated as ‘slaves’ to be traded as chattel for exploitation by U.S. corporation, etc., etc. -- perhaps this would be something to applaud.

There’s a HUGE difference between a peaceful protest -- white robes, candles, etc. -- and the arrogant Mexican flag-waving protestors carrying placards displaying their demands and entitlement-laden intentions – “Stop The Raids” -- “No Human Is Illegal” -- “Today We March, Tomorrow We Vote” -- “Si Se Puede” – and the ever so popular, “This Is OUR Land” and “Gringos Go Home!”

When they engage in protests comparable to those in this country, in which they arrogantly march demanding privileges and entitlements reserved for legal citizens; then, and only then, will I be impressed. IMO, this is as effective as a college sit-in protesting a lack of menu choices in the Student Union cafeteria.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
What is helping overall but hurting the average shop owner is that travel into Mexico is way way down due the fear of all the crime in the border cities. Rosarito used to be packed on spring break and all my friends still brave enough to roll down said it was a ghost town. That may hurt the shop keepers in the short term but will raise the amount of anger towards their govt to actually straighten out the corruption. Where else do you have to carry about 100 bucks bribe money just to go down and back?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
As I have stated in the past: one huge thing Mexican can do is pay their street cops and judiciary 'Gringo' wages and have much stricter training standards for the above.

Mexico can afford it------------if the rich people were not such a bunch of greedy SOB's. Carlos Slim comes to mind.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As I have stated in the past: one huge thing Mexican can do is pay their street cops and judiciary 'Gringo' wages and have much stricter training standards for the above.

Mexico can afford it------------if the rich people were not such a bunch of greedy SOB's. Carlos Slim comes to mind.
Funny you mention that. I got rolled in broad daylight by the Policia. With what they have to deal with now their pay should be top priority just like it is here. It would take a lot of money for me to do a job where one of the consequence is getting beheaded.

I'm rather fond of my noggin thank you very much

Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

I wouldn't call donating $100 million dollars to Mexican education being greedy.

It's better to pay off the cops there because they take your license. And if you're on vacation, well than you get in a mess of problems that simply aren't worth ruining your vacation.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I wouldn't call donating $100 million dollars to Mexican education being greedy.

It's better to pay off the cops there because they take your license. And if you're on vacation, well than you get in a mess of problems that simply aren't worth ruining your vacation.
Better to pay off the cops? I think it would be better not to vacation where paying off the cops was your best option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration