U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Better to pay off the cops? I think it would be better not to vacation where paying off the cops was your best option...

And that is why all the Spring break resorts were a ghost town last year. We ain't stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
very gutsy to demonstrate. how many do it here? how many even vote. 50% is the correct answer. totalitarian governments make it impossible for the people to live.
we need to beware here of the the 1 party system which is attempting to get a foothold. do it. obama 08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. If there were MASSIVE in-your-face protests “demanding” better jobs, social services, standard of living, and an end to corruption, or else. If they were waving U.S. flags and vociferously denouncing the Mexican government for forcing them to flee their country for greener pastures in the US. If they were refusing to be treated as ‘slaves’ to be traded as chattel for exploitation by U.S. corporation, etc., etc. -- perhaps this would be something to applaud.

There’s a HUGE difference between a peaceful protest -- white robes, candles, etc. -- and the arrogant Mexican flag-waving protestors carrying placards displaying their demands and entitlement-laden intentions – “Stop The Raids” -- “No Human Is Illegal” -- “Today We March, Tomorrow We Vote” -- “Si Se Puede” – and the ever so popular, “This Is OUR Land” and “Gringos Go Home!”

When they engage in protests comparable to those in this country, in which they arrogantly march demanding privileges and entitlements reserved for legal citizens; then, and only then, will I be impressed. IMO, this is as effective as a college sit-in protesting a lack of menu choices in the Student Union cafeteria.
I totally agree. When the day comes that I see all of what you listed occur in frequently and with millions of angry participants, I will be convinced that they mean business. Until then, this one instance is purely symbolic posturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I wouldn't call donating $100 million dollars to Mexican education being greedy.

It's better to pay off the cops there because they take your license. And if you're on vacation, well than you get in a mess of problems that simply aren't worth ruining your vacation.
Why am I not surprised at your comments? This is the typical Mexican illegal alien mindset; and precisely why Mexico is such a corrupt pathetic country. Rather than condemn this corrupt behavior, and fight to have it changed, you would contribute to it. No wonder Mexican illegal aliens have no respect for the laws of this country. How can we ever expect them to obey our laws when the norm for them is such blatant lawlessness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I wouldn't call donating $100 million dollars to Mexican education being greedy.

It's better to pay off the cops there because they take your license. And if you're on vacation, well than you get in a mess of problems that simply aren't worth ruining your vacation.

That's exactly what keeps the corruption going. Everyone takes the attitude that it's best to participate, everyone benefits after all, and so nothing changes. Mexican cops learn to roll everyone, everyone accepts that, it's part of the culture after all, and so it goes on.

It's going to take a big change in the mindset before things improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why am I not surprised at your comments? This is the typical Mexican illegal alien mindset; and precisely why Mexico is such a corrupt pathetic country. Rather than condemn this corrupt behavior, and fight to have it changed, you would contribute to it. No wonder Mexican illegal aliens have no respect for the laws of this country. How can we ever expect them to obey our laws when the norm for them is such blatant lawlessness?
Most people from Mexico that I know actually complain about our system. They get a $200 ticket, offer the cop a $20 and get angry that he doesn't just take it and be done with it. After all -- why should someone want to pay $200 when the cop could just stop being so stubborn and pocket the $20 and everyone is happy.

That's the problem -- once people decide that graft is best -- then graft and corruption take hold. That's why reform in Mexico is so tough, change is hard and it's going to take something like an upheaval to get people convinced it's needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
I think for many it is going to be hard to change the two-class system where someone born into poverty is viewed quite differently.

The American attitude is that you can be born rich or you can be born poor, or middle class and if you just have a good work ethic, you should be able to make it. And that attitude can seem harsh because it assumes everyone can make it if they simply choose to do so.

It's a good attitude in a deeper way because it assumes an equality. You are not locked into your class, you should not feel locked in. We like the rags to riches stories and sometimes the riches to rags stories even more because they both work to our basic equality.

In other cultures it's different, if you're born rich, then you can expect to stay that, if you're born poor then no amount of hard work is going to change that. That works out very well for those cultures that believe in having a large servant class and that some people should never have to do yard work or make their own bed.

That was the funny thing about so many of the pro-illegals -- they would say things like "well who is going to mow your yard?", "who is going to cook your food?", "who is going to make your bed, tend to your children?", and the middle class just scratched our heads because it never occurred to us that we had to have servants to do all that for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think for many it is going to be hard to change the two-class system where someone born into poverty is viewed quite differently.

The American attitude is that you can be born rich or you can be born poor, or middle class and if you just have a good work ethic, you should be able to make it. And that attitude can seem harsh because it assumes everyone can make it if they simply choose to do so.

It's a good attitude in a deeper way because it assumes an equality. You are not locked into your class, you should not feel locked in. We like the rags to riches stories and sometimes the riches to rags stories even more because they both work to our basic equality.

In other cultures it's different, if you're born rich, then you can expect to stay that, if you're born poor then no amount of hard work is going to change that. That works out very well for those cultures that believe in having a large servant class and that some people should never have to do yard work or make their own bed.

That was the funny thing about so many of the pro-illegals -- they would say things like "well who is going to mow your yard?", "who is going to cook your food?", "who is going to make your bed, tend to your children?", and the middle class just scratched our heads because it never occurred to us that we had to have servants to do all that for us.
Talk about a 'below the belt' blow-----------and, extremely honest as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
It takes time. Its not like they decided to suddenly change things, its just that a better Mexico has been a long time in the making.
Mexico hasn't been a truly democratic country for that long.

Within time, I predict more changes in Mexico for the better, and less illegal immigration.
-----------

I hope your right and ofcourse some leader's worse than other's but be it Mexico or ANY Latin American country- Are there truly any leader's who arent corrupt parasites?

Again some better than other's but that's not saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 09:47 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's exactly what keeps the corruption going. Everyone takes the attitude that it's best to participate, everyone benefits after all, and so nothing changes. Mexican cops learn to roll everyone, everyone accepts that, it's part of the culture after all, and so it goes on.

It's going to take a big change in the mindset before things improve.
-----------

I agree but as you know it's just not Mexico its ALL of Latin America .

Corrupt worthless parasite politician's and cops no better .

There are good cops so shouldn't say all are bad but they are constantly looking over their shoulder which is the irony of it all as bad cops are not looking over their shoulder.

Infact the good cop's those who want to end the corruption wind up dead . Many times due to the order's of the politician's .

That is Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top