U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Jeezus Californio, you're going to try to compare America to Mexico when it comes to 'the bite'?

Mordida is a cultural ICON in Mexico, from the bottom of the totem pole all the way up to the nosebleeds! You are REALLY grasping at straws with that position...
Of course it happens, and as Luiso stated it happens in other countries as well. I s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Jeezus Californio, you're going to try to compare America to Mexico when it comes to 'the bite'?

Mordida is a cultural ICON in Mexico, from the bottom of the totem pole all the way up to the nosebleeds! You are REALLY grasping at straws with that position...
Of course it happens, and as Luiso stated it happens in other countries as well. I just seem to have a balanced view of everything, when you lean one way too much you become full of yourself.

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
For example some cop who actually cares about how illegals hurt our country might arrest them for being an illegal.
Ah yes, that must be it. It could not possibly be a group of good old USA boys that would like to prove how tough they are when they are in a group like themselves, strength in a crowd but nothing between the ears.

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Of course it happens, and as Luiso stated it happens in other countries as well. I s
But in Mexico it is a WAY OF LIFE!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
But in Mexico it is a WAY OF LIFE!
Paying off cops in Mexico is a way of life, but only in Mexico. Gotcha

Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Paying off cops in Mexico is a way of life, but only in Mexico. Gotcha
Whatever man, while payoffs and ripoffs happen around the globe, face it, Mexico is FAMOUS for it. When I was a younger man I kept a $50 tucked behind my license 'just in case', and Mexico was the ONLY place I ever got to 'spend' it. In fact, I had to replace it SEVERAL times for my visits when I lived in Del Mar.

It was the accepted cost of crossing the border.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Whatever man, while payoffs and ripoffs happen around the globe, face it, Mexico is FAMOUS for it. When I was a younger man I kept a $50 tucked behind my license 'just in case', and Mexico was the ONLY place I ever got to 'spend' it. In fact, I had to replace it SEVERAL times for my visits when I lived in Del Mar.

It was the accepted cost of crossing the border.
Then you must of according to the officers, broke the law many times.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Then you must of according to the officers, broke the law many times.
Nope, just a Gringo in a $800 suit.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Nope, just a Gringo in a $800 suit.
So you're not Hispanic like you previously stated before?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
I guess the rest of the world where you are able to pay off cops has become part of their culture too . Have there not been instances in the U.S of judges and cops who have been bribed as well? Is it part of our culture?

Of course, this "bribe" happens all over the world-- not just Mexico as noted above my Luiso. How can you say something is part of a culture if you do not belong to the culture? I still cannot comprehend that, nor have you made any attempt to.

Police chiefs come and go, there are even hotlines to report corrupt police officers and yet nothing changes. At least in the pueblos, nothing ever does.
When it becomes the norm then yes it has become part of the culture and there are countries more corrupt than Mexico.

Yes there have been instances of cops and judges in the USA that take bribes -- but how often have you tried to bribe a cop in the USA? Would you do it as readily as you would in Mexico? What might happen to you if you did try to bribe a cop in the USA? Or a judge?

If you have never waved a $20 at a USA cop -- why not if you've done it in Mexico? You said you've bribed cops in Mexico, you didn't say if you've done it here or not but if you only bribe them when in Mexico, it's something you believe is part of the culture. Would you try to bribe a cop in Finland? In Norway? In Spain? Isn't it one of those "when in Rome...do as the Romans" kind of thing?

The other thing -- where does Mexico get it's cops? (From Mexico, it's society). Everyone says the cops are corrupt -- but where did they learn corruption? In Mexican cop school? Or were they honest guys and then all magically became corrupt -- that is ready to take bribes only on becoming cops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration