U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Any American can be a Gringo----------even one of Aztec/Mayan heritage
I think you've forgotten the roots of the word. If you really knew what it meant, being of Aztec and Mayan heritage would not fit the bill. And even then, it is very rare that someone is from Aztec decent right now. 90% of them were wiped out by disease alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
[quote=Californio;5110994]I think you've forgotten the roots of the word. If you really knew what it meant, being of Aztec and Mayan heritage would not fit the bill. quote]

Well, enlighten us oh wise one. What is "your" interpretation?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM

[quote=1AngryTaxPayer;5111207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think you've forgotten the roots of the word. If you really knew what it meant, being of Aztec and Mayan heritage would not fit the bill. quote]

Well, enlighten us oh wise one. What is "your" interpretation?
I'd hate for another good thread to get hi-jacked, but at the expense of your ignorance I'll do you a favor.

Gringo is a term used to identify American soldiers back during the Mexican-American War. The soldiers of course wore green suits, and upon arrival, Mexican country men said to them "Green-Go" meaning for them to go back home. This is the most popular interpretation of the term. It can also be debated that its derived from the word Griego which means Greek. And they were referring to their physical features.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
[quote=Californio;5112371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I'd hate for another good thread to get hi-jacked, but at the expense of your ignorance I'll do you a favor.

Gringo is a term used to identify American soldiers back during the Mexican-American War. The soldiers of course wore green suits, and upon arrival, Mexican country men said to them "Green-Go" meaning for them to go back home. This is the most popular interpretation of the term. It can also be debated that its derived from the word Griego which means Greek. And they were referring to their physical features.
I think the term would be 'Verde Vamanos' if that were the case...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
I think you've forgotten the roots of the word. If you really knew what it meant, being of Aztec and Mayan heritage would not fit the bill. And even then, it is very rare that someone is from Aztec decent right now. 90% of them were wiped out by disease alone.
A slightly perjorative term for an Englishman of Mexican (or any other) heritage would be a 'bloody Limey'.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A slightly perjorative term for an Englishman of Mexican (or any other) heritage would be a 'bloody Limey'.
Umm.. never heard that.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
[quote=GuyPinestra;5112606]
Quote:

I think the term would be 'Verde Vamanos' if that were the case...
Good point! I've heard that "green go" explanation before, and I could never put my finger on why it made no sense. You got it, Mexicans wouldn't be saying "green" for the color green.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 PM

[quote=malamute;5117886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Good point! I've heard that "green go" explanation before, and I could never put my finger on why it made no sense. You got it, Mexicans wouldn't be saying "green" for the color green.
Some also argue the etymology comes from the term Griego which is also likely.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 PM

[quote=Californio;5118498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Some also argue the etymology comes from the term Griego which is also likely.
Maybe it's just a word like ****** or **** or wop that is just meant to be an insult. I don't think Mexicans thought Americans were Greeks or looked like Greeks. In reality Mexicans would tend to resemble Greeks more than a bunch of honkeys. Just kidding -- Americans.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Well the first one was the hon-key word and the second was sp-ic word --- but gringo is just as bad and isn't censored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration