Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:26 PM

50,100 posts, read 46,680,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You completely missed the point. That point being that the Germans ended up assimilating perfectly(most White Americans are of German ancestry), and that the fears held back then are being held again. History repeats itself.

The only fears I have are having all the emergency rooms close down here in S Cal, my kids school's grade will drop, I'll get killed by a head on with an unisured, unlicensed driver or someone stealing my Social Security number. Other than that I have no fears of Illegal Aliens. We didn't have to deal with these fears back then. Those fears were bogeyman fears. These are real, it is in the papers daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 02:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,494,270 times
Quote:
You completely missed the point. That point being that the Germans ended up assimilating perfectly(most White Americans are of German ancestry), and that the fears held back then are being held again. History repeats itself.
They assimilated -- with a little help from Ben Franklin who pretty much came out and said they needed to.

Assimilation is not a given. Ask the American Indians about that.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,739,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They assimilated -- with a little help from Ben Franklin who pretty much came out and said they needed to.

Assimilation is not a given. Ask the American Indians about that.
I don't think Benjamin Franklin single-handedly forced all the Germans to assimilate.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,523,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As for the 'German' thing; it is true that the above language damn near received 'legal' status here in the USA many years ago but WW I put a stop to that-----------the usage of German plummeted from that era forward.
Yeah, war..the great equalizer

Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,296,778 times
Quote:
I don't think Benjamin Franklin single-handedly forced all the Germans to assimilate.
Actually what forced them to assimilate was no hand outs, no freebies, no ethnocentric special interest groups and no pc ness. If they did not assimilate they would not have survived as they would have starved to death if they could not provide for themselves. It really is as simple as that.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yeah, war..the great equalizer
And; you are correct..............

WW I was an example of a situation that helped unify this country as a group of Americans, period---------------none of this hyphenated ethnicity crap.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
And; you are correct..............

WW I was an example of a situation that helped unify this country as a group of Americans, period---------------none of this hyphenated ethnicity crap.
But the Japanese-Americans during World War II are proof that ethnicity isn't easily forgotten.
Its only easy to be truly non-hypenated if everyone looks the same.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
But the Japanese-Americans during World War II are proof that ethnicity isn't easily forgotten.
Its only easy to be truly non-hypenated if everyone looks the same.
What happened to Americans of Japanese heritage was stupid---------at best. Side note: some Hispanics of Japanese ethnicity also wound up in the internment camps.

But; the above got the last laugh due to their extreme loyalty to the USA despite being wronged by same.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What happened to Americans of Japanese heritage was stupid---------at best. Side note: some Hispanics of Japanese ethnicity also wound up in the internment camps.

But; the above got the last laugh due to their extreme loyalty to the USA despite being wronged by same.
All Im saying, is ethnicity can't be ignored. I agree that we should all be united as Americans to function as a country, but I find the idea of being blind to ethnicity kind of naive.
I think we should embrace different cultures of American people, because I STRONGLY believe Americans of all ethnicities pick up the common language(English) at some point.
Ive met Mexicans, Salvadorans, Koreans, Somalians, Ethiopians, Brazilians, Vietnamese, Laotians, and a whole bunch of other people who were children of immigrants and speak perfect English.
All the above are also very proud of their respective heritage, and are still American.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
All Im saying, is ethnicity can't be ignored. I agree that we should all be united as Americans to function as a country, but I find the idea of being blind to ethnicity kind of naive.
I think we should embrace different cultures of American people, because I STRONGLY believe Americans of all ethnicities pick up the common language(English) at some point.
Ive met Mexicans, Salvadorans, Koreans, Somalians, Ethiopians, Brazilians, Vietnamese, Laotians, and a whole bunch of other people who were children of immigrants and speak perfect English.
All the above are also very proud of their respective heritage, and are still American.
Define 'culture', please.

I have met English people who are Black; I perceive 'em as Brits, nothing else.

Brazilians:

Using your criteria: Gisele Bundchen (White) and Leandro Barbosa (Black) are the same culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration