U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
All Im saying, is ethnicity can't be ignored. I agree that we should all be united as Americans to function as a country, but I find the idea of being blind to ethnicity kind of naive. I think we should embrace different cultures of American people, because I STRONGLY believe Americans of all ethnicities pick up the common language(English) at some point.
Ive met Mexicans, Salvadorans, Koreans, Somalians, Ethiopians, Brazilians, Vietnamese, Laotians, and a whole bunch of other people who were children of immigrants and speak perfect English.
All the above are also very proud of their respective heritage, and are still American.
Why is being an American naive? Yes, I am black, but my race does not define me as a person. I am not an African-American. I am an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Define 'culture', please.

I have met English people who are Black; I perceive 'em as Brits, nothing else.
Ethnic pride. Being proud of the culture they have roots in.
Ex:
A Vietnamese-American person in Orange County enjoying Pho.
A Mexican-American listening to Banda.
A German-American throwing an Oktoberfest block party.

Identifying themselves as Americans of ____ descent, aka ______-American.

And if you met a British person who was Black, you obviously took note of it. Not to say doing so is racist, its just that ethnicity isn't something you can ignore. So might as well embrace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Ethnic pride. Being proud of the culture they have roots in.
Ex:
A Vietnamese-American person in Orange County enjoying Pho.
A Mexican-American listening to Banda.
A German-American throwing an Oktoberfest block party.

Identifying themselves as Americans of ____ descent, aka ______-American.

And if you met a British person who was Black, you obviously took note of it. Not to say doing so is racist, its just that ethnicity isn't something you can ignore. So might as well embrace it.
Well: I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage yet look 100% stereotypically Scandinavian.

I like good Mexican food, listen to Smooth Jazz/Celtic music, vintage Chevys and Fords, Bauhaus School of Design, etc.

As for culture: mine is American.

Few facets of Hungarian culture interest me----------I feel very little kinship with my father's people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well: I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage yet look 100% stereotypically Scandinavian.

I like good Mexican food, listen to Smooth Jazz/Celtic music, vintage Chevys and Fords, Bauhaus School of Design, etc.

As for culture: mine is American.


Mine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well: I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage yet look 100% stereotypically Scandinavian.

I like good Mexican food, listen to Smooth Jazz/Celtic music, vintage Chevys and Fords, Bauhaus School of Design, etc.

As for culture: mine is American.

Few facets of Hungarian culture interest me----------I feel very little kinship with my father's people.
Then maybe you haven't experience growing up among both cultures?

I have, and I consider it a benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Then maybe you haven't experience growing up among both cultures?

I have, and I consider it a benefit.
Actually; my first language was indeed Hungarian----------never mind I do not understand it at all anymore.

Note too I made a conscious decision to be an unhyphenated American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; my first language was indeed Hungarian----------never mind I do not understand it at all anymore.

Note too I made a conscious decision to be an unhyphenated American.
Was that for personal reasons? Or did you honestly believe that immigrant history made you less American than the anglo American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Was that for personal reasons?
Damn skippy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Reputation: 2728
"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.


“We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.” Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.


“We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.” Teddy Roosevelt

People of all ethnicities, who were proud of their ethnicity have fought and died for this country. Have built this country.
A lot has happened in the 100 years since Roosevelt was around. America wasnt the superpower that it is when he was alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top