U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Actually whites didn't come up with that term. Unless you are including the MSM that still licks the boots of the worthless, irrlevant, government sponsored pimps of our race known as Jesse and Al.

Personally while I am an American of African descent I refer to myself as a black woman. I feel no need to identify the obvious when it comes to my ethnicity. I an American first and foremost and above all else.

Any hispanic who places their ethnicity, loyalty and dual citizenship status above that of their acquired American citizenship can never be considered a true American. You can't ride two donkeys with one ass, no matter how wide your ass happens to be.
Precisely!

I think I shall begin to call myself a Scandanavian-Scottish-Native American. I don't think it's fair that I, as a melanin-challenged person, can't be hyphenated too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Precisely!

I think I shall begin to call myself a Scandanavian-Scottish-Native American. I don't think it's fair that I, as a melanin-challenged person, can't be hyphenated too.
Come to think of it, perhaps AfriGermNat-American, will be my new hyphenated label. Gotta spread the love.

Or perhaps simply mutt......

Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Come to think of it, perhaps AfriGermNat-American, will be my new hyphenated label. Gotta spread the love.

Or perhaps simply mutt......
Oooh, I like it. I shall appropriate the term ScanScotNat-American!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
[quote=JDubsMom;5086108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

First and foremost, I agree that for as long as there has been an America, there have been racially motivated issues, incidents and problems. That is where our agreement begins and ends.

There is a profound difference between the immigrants of various races and ethnicities who were SCREENED upon entry at Ellis Island

if by screened you mean, showed up on a boat and were given a cursory look over to ensure they did not have the plague. do you realize that immigration standards were far les strict back then? and by percentage more immigrants "flooded" this country then than now? all they did was show up on a boat. guess what, they were even able to change there names. so much for keepin track of people. and the millions of illegal aliens primarily from one country, MEXICO, who have deliberately invaded and raped America while refusing to assimilate, learn the English language, and are procreating for the purpose of future chain migration, free education, welfare benefits and other freebies which further allows the illegal alien a source of income and reason to remain in the US illegally. All this and demanding rights they are not entitled to. Adding insult to injury is their demand for amnesty.
all this other stuff is emotional conjecture.
In order to survive, the immigrants who came through Ellis Island had to obey the laws, work to support their families , learn English and assimilate in order to succeed in America. There were no welfare programs.
what?!?! upon arrival and upon being granted citizenship people were elligible to welfare services. these have existed since FDR;s new deal. and they were further expanded in the60's

You attempt to lump the illegal alien asians, germans, chinese etc. as being in the same position as Mexican illegals. I have to disagree. Mexican illegal aliens are the most arrogant, self absorbed, selfish, greedy, non assimilating, ungrateful illegal aliens to ever invade this country.
more emotional conjecture. i could easily say... black woman are the most arrogant people. expecting handouts. filling the welfare lines. spending money on acrylics and extensions instead of food. how ungrateful of juanita. does that make sense? no just bunch of generalizations.

We are very much aware that there are illegal aliens in this country of various other ethnicities. While we do not like it, at least the majority of them are smart enough and humble enough to stay below the radar. They are grateful to be here, they are grateful for the free education and other opportunities they receive, they attempt to assimilate and learn English and they do not flaunt any signs of delusional arrogance by parading down American streets waving the rag of the country they fled while desecrating the American flag and raging ungratefully against America's rule of law. All the while denigrating our country out of one side of their mouths while sucking from the American tit of generosity out of the other side. The US is culturally diverse and ethnically diverse but we are NOT aspiring to be a replica of 3rd world Mexico .
you really hate mexico huh?
As for your comparison of the plight of Mexican illegal aliens to American Citizens of African descent, simply put there is NONE.
i didnt expect you to get it. but i was not comparing blacks to mexicans. i was reffering to how prominent black skin(or any yellowed variation of it) is in this society. my point was that this country has not got over race or ethnicity. and these issues pervade just about every segment of our culture. obama is not a cnadidate like mccain is. he is a black candidate. just like hilary was a woman candidate. these differences are pretty pronounced, and not just because i say so. this country has still not got past its focus on skin color.
Nice try but no cigars.
my point was that all the arguments against immigrants or illegals or whatever are recycled. whethere you get it or not is on you. when you say "You attempt to lump the illegal alien asians, germans, chinese etc. as being in the same position as Mexican illegals. I have to disagree. Mexican illegal aliens are the most arrogant, self absorbed, selfish, greedy, non assimilating, ungrateful illegal aliens to ever invade this country. " you dont realize that you are doing what franklin did. he demonized one particular group of people. he generalized about a group of people. gerneralizations about large populations are ignorant. for whatever reason you dislike one group of people, while giving others a pass. it seems more and more that you really have it in for the mexicans.

but i dont think you will see that either.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM

im not saying you are not american. this isnt about one on one interactions. i go to the south and i am seen as other than white. i might as well have been dragged of the amistad the way some people have treated me in parts of this country. its not about how i identify myself. be it haitian. dominican or US Black. it comes down to how i am treated in this society.

this is about how society, and US society in particular, creates an image of what is white, and what is other. as much as you would like to see yourself as german and native, or whatever, if you have one bit of black, you are black. i dont make up these rules, i am simply aware of these. and i also try to shift the way people think about race or ethnicity. especially when it comes to mixed race folk.
this country has experienced changes in race since its inception. within recent times the changes have not been so homogenous. we have higher numbers of immigration from africa, asian and america. before it was mostly european immigration. now its not the case. we are fast becoming a multi faceted, multi cultural country. this is not a bad thing. we just need to be aware of these differences. this is the now. not the past.
and i am glad you love yourself. but the reality is that there are people in this world that hate you for being you. these people who hate based on color or culture are as misguided as franklin was with regards to german migration.
i dont make the rules about race. i see them for what they are. out dated. thats it
Quote:
I was not born in, nor do I currently live in a vacuum. Contrary to how you may perceive me, I am still an American aka a U.S. citizen. My heritage does not alter that fact. Yes, I am of African ancestry. I am also of German and Indian ancestry. However, my heritage does not define who I am as an individual. It only determines my bloodline. I did not influence that whatsoever.

I am well aware of the history of racism in this country. I am well aware that some of my ancestors were brought here by force, and everything that slavery entailed. I am also well aware of the racism that prevented black soldiers from receiving their rightful honor and dignity while serving courageously in defense of this country.

You may wish to dwell on past injustices and racial disparities; but I prefer to embrace the progress made within my lifetime, and forge ahead to a brighter future. The mere fact that a black man is the Democratic presidential nominee speaks volumes. This country has changed whether you choose to believe it, or not. I prefer to learn from the past, rather than live in it.

I truly don’t care what you choose to call me…….be it Negro, Colored, Mulatto, Black, African-American, the “N” word, or Martian. You, nor anyone else, will dictate “what” or “who” I am. I may simply be an African-American to you; but to me, I will always be AMERICAN.

I love myself. Sorry, but you, and no one else, will change that.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,174,367 times
Quote:
I was not born in, nor do I currently live in a vacuum. Contrary to how you may perceive me, I am still an American aka a U.S. citizen. My heritage does not alter that fact. Yes, I am of African ancestry. I am also of German and Indian ancestry. However, my heritage does not define who I am as an individual. It only determines my bloodline. I did not influence that whatsoever.

I am well aware of the history of racism in this country. I am well aware that some of my ancestors were brought here by force, and everything that slavery entailed. I am also well aware of the racism that prevented black soldiers from receiving their rightful honor and dignity while serving courageously in defense of this country.

You may wish to dwell on past injustices and racial disparities; but I prefer to embrace the progress made within my lifetime, and forge ahead to a brighter future. The mere fact that a black man is the Democratic presidential nominee speaks volumes. This country has changed whether you choose to believe it, or not. I prefer to learn from the past, rather than live in it.

I truly don’t care what you choose to call me…….be it Negro, Colored, Mulatto, Black, African-American, the “N” word, or Martian. You, nor anyone else, will dictate “what” or “who” I am. I may simply be an African-American to you; but to me, I will always be AMERICAN.

I love myself. Sorry, but you, and no one else, will change that.

Awesome post!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Memo to 'the one', etc:

Back in the old Jim Crow South: some White people were forced to go to the 'Colored' schools because they were dark skinned............my step dad is of Italian heritage and his youngest daughter (100% Anglo) gets mistaken for Puerto Rican a lot--------she is that brown.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM

yes that happened, and some black people passed for white. "passing". or "not passing" in the case of some people.

and Re: Memo, italians arent anglos. now they have been lumped into one big "white" label, but thru most of the last century people could distinguish between ethnicities. even now some people might. but once they started mixing, irish, polish, italian, they just became white. kinda like everyones mexican. not el sal. not honduran. just mexican.
as for italians. i know they arent blue eyed like germans are, so your sis being mistaken for PR is not unusual. the more we mix the harder it is to tell us apart.
but unfortunately those with the darkest features(be they panamanian, haitan or mixed) still get labeled as black. and those with the lightest features (even tho they may be argentine or angolan) get labeled as white in this country.
just the way some people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Memo to 'the one', etc:

Back in the old Jim Crow South: some White people were forced to go to the 'Colored' schools because they were dark skinned............my step dad is of Italian heritage and his youngest daughter (100% Anglo) gets mistaken for Puerto Rican a lot--------she is that brown.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM

to clarify, it looks like in my previous quote i was referencing AMC, i was not. i was quoting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
First and foremost, I agree that for as long as there has been an America, there have been racially motivated issues, incidents and problems. That is where our agreement begins and ends.
There is a profound difference between the immigrants of various races and ethnicities who were SCREENED upon entry at Ellis Island
if by screened you mean, showed up on a boat and were given a cursory look over to ensure they did not have the plague. do you realize that immigration standards were far les strict back then? and by percentage more immigrants "flooded" this country then than now? all they did was show up on a boat. guess what, they were even able to change there names. so much for keepin track of people.
and the millions of illegal aliens primarily from one country, MEXICO, who have deliberately invaded and raped America while refusing to assimilate, learn the English language, and are procreating for the purpose of future chain migration, free education, welfare benefits and other freebies which further allows the illegal alien a source of income and reason to remain in the US illegally. All this and demanding rights they are not entitled to. Adding insult to injury is their demand for amnesty.
all this other stuff is emotional conjecture.
In order to survive, the immigrants who came through Ellis Island had to obey the laws, work to support their families , learn English and assimilate in order to succeed in America. There were no welfare programs.
what?!?! upon arrival and upon being granted citizenship people were elligible to welfare services. these have existed since FDR;s new deal. and they were further expanded in the60's
You attempt to lump the illegal alien asians, germans, chinese etc. as being in the same position as Mexican illegals. I have to disagree. Mexican illegal aliens are the most arrogant, self absorbed, selfish, greedy, non assimilating, ungrateful illegal aliens to ever invade this country.
more emotional conjecture. i could easily say... black woman are the most arrogant people. expecting handouts. filling the welfare lines. spending money on acrylics and extensions instead of food. how ungrateful of juanita. does that make sense? no just bunch of generalizations.

We are very much aware that there are illegal aliens in this country of various other ethnicities. While we do not like it, at least the majority of them are smart enough and humble enough to stay below the radar. They are grateful to be here, they are grateful for the free education and other opportunities they receive, they attempt to assimilate and learn English and they do not flaunt any signs of delusional arrogance by parading down American streets waving the rag of the country they fled while desecrating the American flag and raging ungratefully against America's rule of law. All the while denigrating our country out of one side of their mouths while sucking from the American tit of generosity out of the other side. The US is culturally diverse and ethnically diverse but we are NOT aspiring to be a replica of 3rd world Mexico .
you really hate mexico huh?
As for your comparison of the plight of Mexican illegal aliens to American Citizens of African descent, simply put there is NONE.
i didnt expect you to get it. but i was not comparing blacks to mexicans. i was reffering to how prominent black skin(or any yellowed variation of it) is in this society. my point was that this country has not got over race or ethnicity. and these issues pervade just about every segment of our culture. obama is not a cnadidate like mccain is. he is a black candidate. just like hilary was a woman candidate. these differences are pretty pronounced, and not just because i say so. this country has still not got past its focus on skin color. Nice try but no cigars.
my point was that all the arguments against immigrants or illegals or whatever are recycled. whethere you get it or not is on you. when you say "You attempt to lump the illegal alien asians, germans, chinese etc. as being in the same position as Mexican illegals. I have to disagree. Mexican illegal aliens are the most arrogant, self absorbed, selfish, greedy, non assimilating, ungrateful illegal aliens to ever invade this country. " you dont realize that you are doing what franklin did. he demonized one particular group of people. he generalized about a group of people. gerneralizations about large populations are ignorant. for whatever reason you dislike one group of people, while giving others a pass. it seems more and more that you really have it in for the mexicans.

but i dont think you will see that either.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes that happened, and some black people passed for white. "passing". or "not passing" in the case of some people.

and Re: Memo, italians arent anglos. now they have been lumped into one big "white" label, but thru most of the last century people could distinguish between ethnicities. even now some people might. but once they started mixing, irish, polish, italian, they just became white. kinda like everyones mexican. not el sal. not honduran. just mexican.
as for italians. i know they arent blue eyed like germans are, so your sis being mistaken for PR is not unusual. the more we mix the harder it is to tell us apart.
but unfortunately those with the darkest features(be they panamanian, haitan or mixed) still get labeled as black. and those with the lightest features (even tho they may be argentine or angolan) get labeled as white in this country.
just the way some people think.
My G/F is 1/2 Italian------and, she is Nordic White (natural blue eyed blonde).

My father is from Hungary and I am Nordic White as well.

Here in Arizona all non Hispanic White/Caucasian people are counted as Anglo--------even swarthy Arabs/Iranians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or