U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

The term 'nationality' is subjective. One might refer themselves as an "Italian" due to their cultural affiliation with that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My G/F is 1/2 Italian------and, she is Nordic White (natural blue eyed blonde).

My father is from Hungary and I am Nordic White as well.

Here in Arizona all non Hispanic White/Caucasian people are counted as Anglo--------even swarthy Arabs/Iranians.
You could go even further and break down Italy between Northern Italy and Southern Italy.

Anglo means of English descent. I'm pretty sure Caucasian/White are the umbrella terms for people of European descent.

Ex: Police describing people as Hispanic, Black, Caucasian, Asian, Middle Easter, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You could go even further and break down Italy between Northern Italy and Southern Italy.

Anglo means of English descent. I'm pretty sure Caucasian/White are the umbrella terms for people of European descent.

Ex: Police describing people as Hispanic, Black, Caucasian, Asian, Middle Easter, etc.
I was referring to Arizona re: definition of the word 'Anglo'.

BTW: the Italian side of my G/F is southern Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Reputation: 391
WTF is "culturally North American"????

Can I call BS on that crap???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
WTF is "culturally North American"????

Can I call BS on that crap???
North America=United States...culture=music, language, food, etc..

Theres nothing to call BS on. Its just a different way of saying United States' culture. No reason to break the question mark button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You could go even further and break down Italy between Northern Italy and Southern Italy.

Anglo means of English descent. I'm pretty sure Caucasian/White are the umbrella terms for people of European descent.

Ex: Police describing people as Hispanic, Black, Caucasian, Asian, Middle Easter, etc.
Caucasian doesn't mean white skin, that term was used when the view was that there were 3 main races. Caucasian included most people in India, the Middle East, and Europe, North Africa, Negroid was much of Africa and Mongoloid was Eastern Asia. Later they decided Ameircan aboriginal to be a separate race.

Back then race meant something different than skin tone or country of origin. It had to do with hair texture, facial bone structure, nose and eye shape and some other features.

Only recently do some use Caucasian or white to describe only the fairest people of certain Scandinavian countries. It no longer is used to describe the Caucasian type of people in Japan because they wouldn't be Nordic looking enough even though that was how that term once was used.

And more and more race only means the country someone's ancestors came from or the language one of their ancestors might have once spoken. Or even if they never spoke a language, that language was spoken in their country. Now pure Mayan Indians are in the hispanic race along with those whose ancestors all lived once in Africa or Europe.

Anglo now means anyone whose ancestors didn't speak Spanish at some point or come from one of those countries where people spoke Spanish and more and more it's "hispanic" or "not hispanic" are the two races. You see boxes now with "white-hispanic", "black-hispanic", white-non-hispanic", "black-non-hispanic" as though having Spanish speaking ancestors is the only thing that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Caucasian doesn't mean white skin, that term was used when the view was that there were 3 main races. Caucasian included most people in India, the Middle East, and Europe, North Africa, Negroid was much of Africa and Mongoloid was Eastern Asia. Later they decided Ameircan aboriginal to be a separate race.

Back then race meant something different than skin tone or country of origin. It had to do with hair texture, facial bone structure, nose and eye shape and some other features.

Only recently do some use Caucasian or white to describe only the fairest people of certain Scandinavian countries. It no longer is used to describe the Caucasian type of people in Japan because they wouldn't be Nordic looking enough even though that was how that term once was used.

And more and more race only means the country someone's ancestors came from or the language one of their ancestors might have once spoken. Or even if they never spoke a language, that language was spoken in their country. Now pure Mayan Indians are in the hispanic race along with those whose ancestors all lived once in Africa or Europe.

Anglo now means anyone whose ancestors didn't speak Spanish at some point or come from one of those countries where people spoke Spanish and more and more it's "hispanic" or "not hispanic" are the two races. You see boxes now with "white-hispanic", "black-hispanic", white-non-hispanic", "black-non-hispanic" as though having Spanish speaking ancestors is the only thing that matters.
Well, Anglo is short for Anglo-Saxon which comprises of all the English and Germanic people.
Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, and French are considered Latin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
North America=United States...culture=music, language, food, etc..

Theres nothing to call BS on. Its just a different way of saying United States' culture. No reason to break the question mark button.
Now that really IS BS, and I can't believe you even typed it. North America is comprised of Canada, the US and Mexico, don't tell me you suddenly flunked 6th grade geography. You're letting your NAU tendencies show with THAT post.

Globalist pig...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,508,599 times
Reputation: 1825
I thought it was against CD rules to personally insult someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I thought it was against CD rules to personally insult someone?
haha, don't trip.

Guypinestra has a complex, and he blatantly insults people all the time. He's kind of crude, but sometimes you gotta step back to appreciate the piece of work he is. I mean piece of art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top