Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 AM

504 posts, read 1,760,330 times

Advertisements

What started as a good humored thread has turned into a bunch of ignorant rants, one of them saying that undocumented workers are not Americans, most of them are, another saying that they or their child had to learn another language, so did I in the 60,s and my poor Mother in the thirties had to learn French. Undocumented workers in most states can not get welfare benefits, children born here can because the United States Constitution makes them citizens, just like your child.
Undocumented workers in most states can not just go to any doctor without paying, they can only go to the emergency room, follow up care is not available free unless its an emergency, provided by a church, or its for a child born here.
Undocumented workers pay taxes, you can not live in the United States and not pay taxes. Buy a candy bar,pump gas, eat at a restaurant and you pay taxes.
Many pay into social security and receive nothing in return.
Many pay into federal taxes and get no refund.
The big banks make huge amounts of money from fees charged on money sent home.
Everyday you come into contact with what a undocumented has done, from fast food, to driving on a road, buying a house, home repair and many do not realize a lot of professional people are undocumented, a lot are jewelers and convenience store workers, some are health care workers, and teachers. The cable company had hundreds of workers putting in cable so we could have high speed Internet and better television.
I can not eat, drive, watch TV, use the Internet, get house repairs, trees trimmed, lawn maintained, without the help of an undocumented worker.
My doctor is from the Philippines, my mother's doctor is from India, my best friend is from Morocco, my back neighbors are from Puerto Rico, and I have heard people tell me [ Puerto Ricans] that they need to go home to their own country!
I live in a very diverse area, sometimes I too get upset with the differences, but most of the time I enjoy it immensely and this too shall pass and they will become like so many others, part of this country.
Holler, scream, yell, jump up and down they will be granted amnesty and they are here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,456,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
What started as a good humored thread has turned into a bunch of ignorant rants,[b] one of them saying that undocumented workers are not Americans, most of them are,/[b]
Perhaps you can explain how an 'undocumented worker' (illegal alien) is an American.
Quote:
another saying that they or their child had to learn another language, so did I in the 60,s and my poor Mother in the thirties had to learn French. Undocumented workers in most states can not get welfare benefits, children born here can because the United States Constitution makes them citizens, just like your child.
They can get this. WIC is considered a 'benefit'.
Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) –
Provides food benefits, in the form of vouchers, for low-income families to obtain certain foods including infant formula.
Immigrants of any status who are otherwise eligible may receive WIC food supplements.
Quote:
Undocumented workers in most states can not just go to any doctor without paying, they can only go to the emergency room, follow up care is not available free unless its an emergency, provided by a church, or its for a child born here.
Now this is the most amazing thing. Are you aware that a number of people who go to the ER are subsequently admitted to the hospital? All patients who enter an ER to receive treatment do not necessarily exit the ER and return home once treatment is rendered. Once through the ER door, if it is determined that the patient needs to be admitted to the hospital, they are admitted. Regardless of immigration status. So if an illegal alien goes to an ER and needs to be hospitalized for 10 days, who do you think pays for this? Where I live there was a situation where a woman living in Mexico was expecting quintuplets. She was receiving prenatal care in Mexico, this was not a situation where she was going without medical care. She decided to 'visit' relatives in the US, paid $15 to go to a prenatal clinic here, was admitted to the hospital and amassed $500,000 in medical bills, none of which was paid and was subsequently written off by the hospital (translated into English: the US taxpayer footed the bill). Her rationale for coming here was something like 'everything was so nice and new........' Furthermore, these children were born with problems associated with prematurity and are going to require a significant amount of medical care and other services for the rest of their lives. The upshot of this is that illegal aliens are very well aware, thanks in part ot their advocacy groups, that they can go to any ER with any complaint and receive care. Typically, a false name and SS# are given so when the bill goes unpaid, there is no way to track them down. In the long term, hospitals can only withstand this financial hemorrhage for so long until either the ER or the entire hospital ends up closing. When one ER or hospital closes, this then puts pressure on surrounding ERs and hospitals as they are forced to take on more and more patients. Ultimately, they too close and this puts even more pressure on the ERs and hospitals left. It is a domino effect. So when you suffer a heart attack and end up going for a 45 minute ambulance ride because all the nearby ERs have closed or are on byapss because they are full, you can comfort yourself with thoughts of how wondeful it is that we provide free care to these folks who are in our country illegally.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 AM

10,147 posts, read 11,104,779 times
Well Said andreabeth.

Gee, it's no wonder my Health insurance is thru the roof.

People will never get it. We're paying for the illegals one way or another.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 AM

504 posts, read 1,760,330 times
These people are Americans, where are they from? South America and North America. Duh!

I stand corrected on the WIC program,children and mothers are eligible, as far as emergency care yes they are admitted into the hospital but for emergency care, you would rather they die on the sidewalk?

You don't want them here but this country invites them. The worse president ever says he wants amnesty, border guards turn their heads, jobs are waiting for them and not just the bad jobs. Until this country makes them unwelcome we are going to have to deal with this problem, find a solution and quit blaming them.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM

178 posts, read 733,981 times
Quote:
What started as a good humored thread has turned into a bunch of ignorant rants, one of them saying that undocumented workers are not Americans, most of them are, another saying that they or their child had to learn another language, so did I in the 60,s and my poor Mother in the thirties had to learn French. Undocumented workers in most states can not get welfare benefits, children born here can because the United States Constitution makes them citizens, just like your child.
Undocumented workers pay taxes, you can not live in the United States and not pay taxes. Buy a candy bar,pump gas, eat at a restaurant and you pay taxes.
Everyday you come into contact with what a undocumented has done, from fast food, to driving on a road, buying a house, home repair and many do not realize a lot of professional people are undocumented, a lot are jewelers and convenience store workers, some are health care workers, and teachers. The cable company had hundreds of workers putting in cable so we could have high speed Internet and better television.
I can not eat, drive, watch TV, use the Internet, get house repairs, trees trimmed, lawn maintained, without the help of an undocumented worker.
My doctor is from the Philippines, my mother's doctor is from India, my best friend is from Morocco, my back neighbors are from Puerto Rico, and I have heard people tell me [ Puerto Ricans] that they need to go home to their own country!
I live in a very diverse area, sometimes I too get upset with the differences, but most of the time I enjoy it immensely and this too shall pass and they will become like so many others, part of this country.
Holler, scream, yell, jump up and down they will be granted amnesty and they are here to stay.

You brought up some great points, to which I agree with.
But sadly I realize that most of the people posting have their
minds made that illegals are the root of all evil. If only
the illegals left they could all be serving the fast food,
mowing lawns, picking tomatoes and their lives would
be complete!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM

178 posts, read 415,226 times
Quote:
Given the depth of your sympathy for the illegal aliens who are hard working, and just trying to make a living illegally (with stolen SS numbers to boot...my words) in this country.............I would like to ask you how many you are housing and feeding with YOUR personal finances right now? As you say, they need follow up medical care. Are YOU taking them to the doctor for that follow up medical care, and footing that bill too? You wouldn't just let them go without medication would you?

In the event of the amnesty you are telling us we need to get used to, will you volunteer your money to take care of the illegals, and allow the rest of us to try and buy food, medicine, clothing and etc for our own children?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 AM

178 posts, read 733,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPie View Post
Given the depth of your sympathy for the illegal aliens who are hard working, and just trying to make a living illegally (with stolen SS numbers to boot...my words) in this country.............I would like to ask you how many you are housing and feeding with YOUR personal finances right now? As you say, they need follow up medical care. Are YOU taking them to the doctor for that follow up medical care, and footing that bill too? You wouldn't just let them go without medication would you?

In the event of the amnesty you are telling us we need to get used to, will you volunteer your money to take care of the illegals, and allow the rest of us to try and buy food, medicine, clothing and etc for our own children?

If they were all a bunch of lazy leeches no one would be hiring them.
They are here and keep coming here because American mostly
White business owners hire them because they know they will
work hard. I don't like paying for anyone's medical.... not even
my own... but there are plenty of white American's milking the system
and that's not right either. I appreciate the hard working illegals here.
They do work I could never do........ or even want to do. If they
come to do that work for low pay that we all beneifit from... lower
prices at the grocery store for produce etc. Then they
deserve to be able to go to the emergency room just like anyone else
here. That is what America is all about... love it or leave it!!

the Statue of Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door

It's why we all came here or our forefathers did... the land
of opportunity for all.

Last edited by la quinta family; 02-05-2007 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,450,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
If they were all a bunch of lazy leeches no one would be hiring them.
I appreciate the hard working illegals here.
They do work I could never do........ or even want to do. That is what America is all about... love it or leave it!!
Bravo! Many of them work their butts off! Construction and Landscape is very physically demanding, I've had experience in Construction and it's very difficult work.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM

332 posts, read 445,989 times
Your all praising the illegal hard workers, but what about the many hard working americans!?!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM

10,147 posts, read 11,104,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Your all praising the illegal hard workers, but what about the many hard working americans!?!

I guess some don't think Us Americans work hard.

Thank you madmann for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration