U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you know that something like 60% of the homeless have severe mental illness, and about 20% suffer from substance addictions? I don't "blame" them for that, since they're both mental disturbances beyond a person's control... but would they be a reliable employee? Probably not. I live in an area that suffers from one of the worst homelessness problems in the US, so I've known quite a few on a personal level... and many choose to be in that situation, and refuse help when it's offered. Recently we had a serious drop in temperature, and task-forces went out to try and take them into shelters - I saw it on the news, and about half of them said "no thanks", and that they'd rather sleep on the streets. And recently I was asked for change by a homeless guy, because "he was starving"... so I offered him a slice of my hot pizza (which I'd just picked up), and he gave me a dirty look and walked away. Hmmmmm, wonder what he wanted that money for, if a fresh piece of pizza wasn't good enough?

P.S. Yes, I do sympathize with families that lose jobs, and are forced to live in their car for a while (for example)... but that's not the majority of the homeless population, so they aren't typically what you'll see. I see maybe one family for every 100 single homeless people.

Great so we have lots of mentally disabled americans ( whom probably dont know what is best for them) not getting the help they need living on the streets. Thats nice. but I guess as long as the illegals get the help they need it balances out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 AM

1,393 posts, read 869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Wow, I can't believe Americans waste this much time talking about how much they've been jipped by illegal immigrants. You have so much more money than them, regardless of paying for health insurance and taxes combined. You folks truly do not realize how blessed you are in this nation.
What do you honestly believe that the middle class person doesn't struggle to meet the payments. Health Care who can afford it for the most part. These government programs are for people who want to make enough money to buy drug, alcohol and barely feed their kids who for the most part can get out and work like the rest of us to survive and have something. But, most and this is legal citizens and now even people becoming legal are going for the easy road.
Hell it's much better to collect money once a month and sell drugs under the table and have a baby every 2 years so, they don't have to go back to work. Have you ever been around welfare lifestyle most bring the poor issue upon them selves I have lived around them and even have had family members use the system these people know exactly how too use the system and not get caught. It's sicking and that our government allows it to continue is WRONG!!!
You must be doing very well since you support all this give away. Think for once about the real AMERICANS that work hard to get some where and for the most part never end up with much!!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I feel terrible for the poor of Mexico, I truly do. I do not support crossing the border illegaly, but i do support extremely poor Mexicans who are suffering and trying to get across as we speak. I would give them healthcare, a job, a place to live at any cost.
They are not extremely poor once they get here!!! I have seen them with wads of cash and some really nice cars.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 AM

178 posts, read 680,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Oh I have bashed them plenty just not on this thread. We have seen it at work, we are in construction, have been for 20 years now, we have seen it all go downhill, because the builders love their profits. it is just irritating to hear that it isnt the illegals, fault. It is them as well, they know EXACTLY what they are doing. I am pretty sure they are loving the situation as well.
I seriously doubt any illegal who is in the United States or at
this point any Hispanic because (who can tell the difference
on who's legal or not) would actually enjoy being the subject
of such hatred and bitterness. I knew illegal immigration
was a big problem before I logged onto this site. What I didn't
realize was how much hatred and bitterness there was for them.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Wow I wish the hospital hadnt made me pay,we were threatned with a law suit. And we go to the clinics all the time, they make us pay upfront for the services. Yes while at a little discount. I have a family of 5 to take care of. Health insurance for five is ALOT!!!
Look, I honestly don't know enough about this subject to argue further... I'm sorry if things have been rough for you & your family, but that's no excuse to downplay the experiences of others - i.e. illegal immigrants. If you know what it's like to be denied basic needs, shouldn't you have a bit of empathy? Just because someone was born on the other side of a "border" (really an abstract concept, when you think about it), that doesn't mean they're less worthy than you.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Great so we have lots of mentally disabled americans ( whom probably dont know what is best for them) not getting the help they need living on the streets. Thats nice. but I guess as long as the illegals get the help they need it balances out.
I didn't say it was a good thing, did I? I fully believe we need to do something about the homeless situation, especially around here, and it makes me extremely sad. But one group shouldn't be valued over another, regardless of where they happened to be born.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
I seriously doubt any illegal who is in the United States or at
this point any Hispanic because (who can tell the difference
on who's legal or not) would actually enjoy being the subject
of such hatred and bitterness. I knew illegal immigration
was a big problem before I logged onto this site. What I didn't
realize was how much hatred and bitterness there was for them.
I cannot tell you how many I have worked with over the years, the things they say about us would turn your stomach. They dont care what they think, the ones I have met have no intensions of staying here, they are going back home with their "Prize" as they have called it and retire nicely. for the last ime I DONT HATE THEM, I HATE WHAT THEY DO. there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't say it was a good thing, did I? I fully believe we need to do something about the homeless situation, especially around here, and it makes me extremely sad. But one group shouldn't be valued over another, regardless of where they happened to be born.
Yes they should. These sevices were set up for americans, they should get the help they need first, if we have the resourses after that to help more on their path to citizenship then great.

Last edited by Yac; 02-06-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 09:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Andrea, come with me to Tijuana, the 1.5 million city below San Diego. Half of the residents are from other states of Mexico, and they are ready to enter the U.S. for a better life. I've been there six times, it is ridiculously poor. I've only stayed for the day, but would never ever ever walk through those streets at night. These people live in shantys. There house is the size of your living room. There is garbage everywhere, bars around the perimeter of the homes, only if your rich, and they are six feet high. There are thousands of orphans who walk the streets, and prostitution brings in dollars. The people are in despair, the poor line up before you enter back into the United States, trying to sell anything they can just to make an extra dollar. You can get jumped anywhere at anytime, the police are corrupt and set up even Mexican Citizens to gain extra money. If you were to go there, you would be choked up inside without a doubt in my mind. I'm tired of arguing on this site, there's only so much you can do to change a perspective, and then you walk away.
And herein lies the heart of the problem: the corrupt and dissolute government of Mexico. We cannot change this. Only the Mexican people can. And they must. Or our cities will end up looking like Tijuana, too. Millions entering the US illegally only allows the problems of Mexico's government and the chasm between the rich and poor to fester and sore.
I've had enough, too. Kirk over and out.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,540,895 times
I hate to see any human suffer, but don'tcha think we have enuff poverty in this country without these folks bringing more and draining the system? why should they be allowed to walk in and get taken care of free of charge, when I pay extremely high medical insurance, so my family can go see a doctor.

If they are here for the right reasons, that's fine, but again, do it the right way and become citizens, what's so hard to understand? Why should they be able to cross over, doesn't matter from where - and just assume they're citizens or have the rights of American Citizens?

Someone keeps bringing up that farmers hire illegals. I see this same dang statement constantly, I guess it's their answer for everything - Yes they do hire illegals, so do these big manufacturing plants, etc. The blame goes both ways. Don't kid yourself these people know how and will continue to work around our system, til possibly there is nothing left.

Let's not forget the ones who steal identities, it has happened in my town. You know stealing ones SS and such. Do I feel sorry for them? Hell no, I think they should be deported and locked up, afterall it is a crime....

I've worked with Mexican Citizens, even have some friends who were born here - Even they're tired of this invasion.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM

178 posts, read 680,383 times
Quote:
I cannot tell you how many I have worked with over the years, the things they say about us would turn your stomach. They dont care what they think, the ones I have met have no intensions of staying here, they are going back home with their "Prize" as they have called it and retire nicely. for the last ime I DONT HATE THEM, I HATE WHAT THEY DO. there is a difference.
You mean you hate that they crossed the border in order to get
work.. because it's illegal? What would you do to feed your
family.. you sound like you love your family dearly. So would
you cross a border to feed them if that was your best option?
Luckily for any of us on here... we'll never have to make that
choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or