U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,569,747 times
Reputation: 18790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Americans have troops in Iraq & Afganstian sacrificing EVERDAY!! Americans have given by sweat and blood from war to making a living for there families. We didn't get to were we are today by following Europe and this is still the best land to live in.
That is exactly my point... we help each other in times of need, and therefore should learn to think more globally. It doesn't just go one way, and our generosity is rewarded when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,265 posts, read 43,569,747 times
Reputation: 18790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am judging the ones that abuse the systems. The ones that want to be apart of america, well welcome. I have met more not nice than nice. If there was no abuse of the services and the USA we wouldnt be having this conversation. All I do know for sure is if we keep giving they will keep coming. So giving them more free services will do nothing to prevent the problem. So give me your ideas on how to solve the problem.
I don't have any good ideas, unfortunately, which is why I've only debated the prejudice/stereotyping issues... if I did have a perfect solution, I'd run for President! I could come up with a few possibly good ideas, but honestly I don't have the energy right now (and I have to go in a minute). If I come up with something, I'll certainly let you know later.

Btw, have you ever heard me say that illegal immigration is good, or should be encouraged? Or have I said the borders should be wide open for everyone to come in?? Well, I haven't... and in fact, we probably agree on more than you realize, when it comes to those specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 873,191 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is exactly my point... we help each other in times of need, and therefore should learn to think more globally. It doesn't just go one way, and our generosity is rewarded when the time comes.
Being global is not always a good thing. For one look at the differences we are experiencing in the Middle East and most of this is religious and cultural differences.
Helping countries is one thing but, thinking all these nationalities and cultures can live in peace among each other is an explosion waiting to happen. When you move to a country different then yours, you take on that culture. Isn't that the reason you move? When in Roman!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't have any good ideas, unfortunately, which is why I've only debated the prejudice/stereotyping issues... if I did have a perfect solution, I'd run for President! I could come up with a few possibly good ideas, but honestly I don't have the energy right now (and I have to go in a minute). If I come up with something, I'll certainly let you know later.

Btw, have you ever heard me say that illegal immigration is good, or should be encouraged? Or have I said the borders should be wide open for everyone to come in?? Well, I haven't... and in fact, we probably agree on more than you realize, when it comes to those specific questions.
I am sure we do, and defending them only makes the problem worse. When will our charity or help end? It is good to give help if you can in a time of need, that I do agree on, but when will their help end? When the entire population of the needy countries is here? If they are not taught and expected to stand on their own here like most of us have to it will never change or end. Some have been doing this for years and years with no end in sight. I guess it is called Tough Love!!! Cutting them off to teach them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,856,479 times
Reputation: 330
Post A Different Perspective

While the percentage of poor Mexicans is about the same now as it was in the early 1980s -- a little more than 50 percent -- the population has grown over the same period, from 70 million to 100 million.

About 24 million -- nearly one in every four Mexicans -- are classified as extremely poor and unable to afford adequate food.

Government figures show that more than 40 percent of Mexicans in rural areas earn less than $1.40 a day, unable even to feed themselves decently. As a result, people are bailing out of the countryside as if it were a ship on fire.

As the poor abandon the countryside, urban poverty has grown. In Mexico City, thousands of men, women and small children beg on street corners. More sleep under bridges, along polluted riverbanks or in makeshift shacks in parks. Government officials usually ignore what are known as land invasions, because these destitute people have nowhere else to go.

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/ftaa/625.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
While the percentage of poor Mexicans is about the same now as it was in the early 1980s -- a little more than 50 percent -- the population has grown over the same period, from 70 million to 100 million.

About 24 million -- nearly one in every four Mexicans -- are classified as extremely poor and unable to afford adequate food.

Government figures show that more than 40 percent of Mexicans in rural areas earn less than $1.40 a day, unable even to feed themselves decently. As a result, people are bailing out of the countryside as if it were a ship on fire.

As the poor abandon the countryside, urban poverty has grown. In Mexico City, thousands of men, women and small children beg on street corners. More sleep under bridges, along polluted riverbanks or in makeshift shacks in parks. Government officials usually ignore what are known as land invasions, because these destitute people have nowhere else to go.

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/ftaa/625.html (broken link)


We already know alot there are poor, what is your point. That doesnt excuse them here, where most are not poor anymore. Whats you solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,856,479 times
Reputation: 330
The illegal immigrants are not receiving a fair shake, they are looked down upon because they've broken the law, but many people can't see their despair and therefore cannot treat illegal immigrants rationally and design a compromising solution to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
The illegal immigrants are not receiving a fair shake, they are looked down upon because they've broken the law, but many people can't see their despair and therefore cannot treat illegal immigrants rationally and design a compromising solution to the problem.
I have to tell you that most now are NOT in any dispair. They are getting a fair shake, they are not abiding by our laws. We cant keep giving and giving, fact, we will run dry at some point, then what will our own citizens do? Are we getting a fair shake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,856,479 times
Reputation: 330
America's poverty level is not even close to Mexico's over 50 percent. I will hire an illegal immigrant, not because he is illegal, but because he is desperate for money he cannot receive in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,714,249 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
America's poverty level is not even close to Mexico's over 50 percent. I will hire an illegal immigrant, not because he is illegal, but because he is desperate for money he cannot receive in Mexico.
Like I have said, they are not so desperate now. It doesnt matter what our poverty level is, those are americans, they shouldnt live in any type of poverty. Mexico needs to take care of it's own. Unless you want millions more coming in. You may not have a nice future retirement at that point. may have to work tell you are dead. You hire them, you need to be punished how about a big fat fine!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top