U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 06:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times

Advertisements

I wonder who is here that was originally here under old name, because some of these arguments are over lapping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 AM

39 posts, read 66,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
LOL!! Like said above: if you like Mexicans so much, why don't you move there?
Who taught your politics class? -Vladimir Putin?
I care for all people. They are all equal.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
To me that totally did not make sense. You're ok with the child getting help, but then you state : I have a problem with "anyone" using the system. Isn't anyone, a child?
*Using the system is what I am talking about specifically*

I have a problem with that. The welfare program is available for those who truly need it.

An example : 1.) My sister-in-law lived in AZ a year and a half ago. She has two little girls, at the time they were 2 years and 7 years old. Her husband worked in construction and took English classes. It was very important for him to learn English ( don't get me started on immigrants who don't speak English ). During the day his wife stayed at home with the 2 year old. She did not want a stranger watching her child, and I respect that. After her husband came home in the evening, she went to work cleaning offices. They made the decision to take the medical card for their children. It was a difficult one for them. They wanted to live the American Dream, not take from it. They had the option of receiving other welfare benefits, but Marta took a night job instead. After a while her husband's English improved and he was able to get a better paying job and get the kids off the medical card.

2.) My mother's best friend married her highschool sweetheart. It was decided that she would be a stay-at-home mom while he worked. She did not pursue a college education. When their second child was a year old, he left her for another woman. He also skipped out on paying child support. The government paid for her housing, daycare, and nursing school. She became a registered RN and stopped receiving welfare.

Both circumstances, IMO are what government assistance is meant for.

I am NOT advocating *anyone* using the system. Welfare is TEMPORARY. If someone is paying taxes, working hard and they need some help, that's fine with me. I also have a gigantic problem with people who receive welfare because they have a low-paying job, but the reason they are given poor wages is because they don't speak English.

I care very much for people who come from poverty. I understand why they came here. But, there is no excuse to abuse the system. I actually know a guy who makes $20.00 an hour plus overtime. He's an arborist and in the summertime there are plenty of 60 hour weeks. He has a common-law wife and two children, ages 7 and 1. And they have the medical card. This infuriates me. He's also Latino.

I apologize for the long email. I hope this explains to you that I do not think welfare should be offered to every person who claims to need it.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Why do you lump Christians into one group? ...you're stumbling over your sentences soo bad.
Sorry, the subject is something I am very passionate about and sometimes I ramble on and on about it.

I am a Christian and have a degree in Christian Counselin. I have been shocked at the coldness shown by the church towards illegal immigrants. There are exceptions. I briefly attended a church in Raleigh, NC called St. Francis of Assisi and they had a migrant worker ministry.

IMO, within the Christian church for the most part there seems to be a disdain for illegal immigrants. It's ironic, given the fact that Jesus spent his entire life with the suffering and poor.

I've been burned you could say. I would love to meet some Christians that recognize that illegal immigration is a problem but that the solution is not stopping Latinos from entering the country. The solution is offering more visas to those who are willing to work so they can be here legally.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:15 AM

Andreabeth,

Thanks for assuming, but my husband is NOT an illegal immigrant. He entered the country legally with a work visa.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:35 AM

http://www.urban.org/publications/900898.html

If that's doesn't work, just go to www.urban.org for the the information about the social security surplus.

Illegal immigrants do not claim their social security benefits, that's why there's a surplus.

I'm sorry for comment about Christians. I was generalizing one group and that's not want I want to do.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Just So Everyone is Clear :

1.) I do not support illegal immigration. I support parents doing what is necessary to feed their children.

2.) We need immigration reform. Our borders need to be protected against terrorists. However, we need to come up with a visa program that will allow good people to come to this country and work. Our visa program now is terrible. You have need to have an ungodly amount in the bank to get a visa that is not sponsored by a employer.

3.) I never denied that the welfare system was not abused by illegal immigrants. It is. It's also abused by our citizens. Most illegal immigrants that I know work while receiving the medical card. We also need a welfare reform. Unless one is permanently disabled, there should be a time limit.

4.) I am offended by immigrants, legal and illegal that reside in this country for years and do not speak English. My Mexican husband is as well. There are free English classes available everywhere. I understand that many immigrants may not have attended school because they needed to work, and therefore may not be able to read. That's not my problem. My great-grandfather worked in the coal mines of Kentucky from the time he was 10 years old. He taught himself to read at night by studying the Bible. My grandfather dropped out of school when he was 13 to work. He received his G.E.D. when he was 69 years old. Taxpayer money is wasted to accomodate non-english speaking people. And just so you know, I don't think I should have to press 1 for English.

5.) In Raleigh, NC many there are illegal immigrants that are arrested for crimes and never deported. If you come to this country, you should contribute, not take away from it. I once followed an extremely drunk driver while communicating with a 911 dispatcher so she could direct the police officer on the jerk's whereabouts. The driver was Latino. Guess what? I don't care. He could have killed someone.

6.) That being said, I understand why people risk their lives to come to this country. I also understand that most of them are good hardworking people like you and me. Many of them just want an opportunity at a better life. The problem is that sometimes garbage crosses the border as well.

I grew up as a military brat. I was exposed to all kinds of different people as child. I attended elementary school in San Mateo, CA and most of my friends where minorities. But, when I moved to KY that changed. There were not many Mexicans and when they started coming people started to have a problem with it. I heard the terms "dirty mexican, lazy, alcoholic, and *******" many times. Before long, I started to believe some of it. I was told that Mexican men were horny little rabbits who cheated on their wifes. I remember when a couple of Mexicans started working at our nursery I was actually scared. I even leaned close to one of them to see if he smelled.

One day I came to work and saw the two Mexican men working in the cold without coats. They never complained and were always polite to me. The next day I gave them a ride home. There were about 6 of them living in a 3 bedroom apartment. All men, all married. They all made the cross without their wives and children....that would be too risky. The day after that I brought some used winter jackets in and handed them out. From moment on I got to know these people. Their pain and hardship. Talking about their children would bring tears to their eyes. They intrigued me. You see, I had everything in my life I could ever want. But, these people had more than me. They had humility. They worked the he freezing cold for their families. They figured if they didn't buy winter jackets it would be that more money to send back to their wives.

I know I'm rambling again. It just upsets me to hear people call it an "invasion". I have no problem with people who don't like illegal immigration. But when people generalize and say they are lazy, tax the government, are all in gangs, are dirty, sell drugs, and are promiscuous....it's disheartening. It reminds me of a book I just finished reading about Civil Rights lawyer Morris Dees. The book documents his work from the 1960's - 1980's. He actually sued the Klu Klux Klan, and he won. But the very same things mentioned above were reasons why the Klan stated they hated black people. This alarms me.

BTW, before anyone else tries to label me....my husband was not an illegal immigrant. I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I voted for Bush. I have never meet Vladimir Putin.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:52 AM

989 posts, read 5,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
I care for all people.

What about Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden, the UniBomber, or Hitler?? Do you also passionately care about them??

Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Do you want to have a normal conversation or do you want to resort to petty questions?

Get real.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:03 AM

1,393 posts, read 869,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanleaholvera View Post
The book documents his work from the 1960's - 1980's. He actually sued the Klu Klux Klan, and he won. But the very same things mentioned above were reasons why the Klan stated they hated black people. This alarms me.
Have you seen the websites that have the latino gangs and how they want to wipe out the white people and hate the gringos, some of the writings around some cities implying the take back of Mexico. The Mexican gang population as grow greatly since Mexican immigrants have come in.
People are worried about the KKK but, ANYTIME they have a rally it's all over the news and the numbers of KKK are not near the size and numbers of Asian & Latino gangs so the worries of the KKK are blown out of prespective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or